Leveraging the VR performance boosting of 1000 series+ GPU...

grammaton_feather

I'm referring to VRworks... It was added to Eve Valkyrie, Raw Data, Croteam VR games and a few others. Prior to VRworks support on Eve and Raw Data, I could only run the game in VR on medium settings. After VRworks I was able to max-out these games. Raw Data suffered performance drops for me even on medium settings at times. Since they added VRworks I am able to run the game smoothly on the highest settings. DCS World needs all the performance boosting it can get for running VR. We have GPUs that aren't being fully utilized for VR users.

I have 2 x GPUs for 3d rendering.. If VRworks was supported I'd be able gain a big performance boost.

I agree. They announced performance gains in VR in a future update. I hope this is the kind of thing they were talking about even though improvements can probably be made without VRworks too.

Improvements can be made without VRworks but they certainly won't be as big as adding VRworks. We are basically having to buy higher end GPUs because they aren't being fully utilized in VR. When u combine an ageing inefficient DX API with lack of VR hardware performance features of 1000+ series GPU then you lose a ton of performance. It's like trying to heat a room in winter with the front door open.

The ultimate performance boost would be VRworks + Vulkan.

Edited by grammaton_feather

I think the VR optimizations recently announced are that : what Nvidia VRworks Tools provide (and more specificaly single pass VR technic), but without anything from Nvidia VRworks.

Quoting Beau Hollis from Lockheed Martin sim team : "We're not using anything Nvidia-specific for single-plass. We still create two render targets outputs which are the same resolution. The difference is that we submit one set of draw calls and use some GPU-side tricks to render them to both outputs with one call."

If it's not that, it's even better news, because it could come later in addition to ingressing VR optimizations.

I think the VR optimizations recently announced are that : what Nvidia VRworks Tools provide (and more specificaly single pass VR technic), but without anything from Nvidia VRworks.

Quoting Beau Hollis from Lockheed Martin sim team : "We're not using anything Nvidia-specific for single-plass. We still create two render targets outputs which are the same resolution. The difference is that we submit one set of draw calls and use some GPU-side tricks to render them to both outputs with one call."

If it's not that, it's even better news, because it could come later in addition to ingressing VR optimizations.

Sounds promising anyway. 2.5 has been a great update visually. VR performance is worst around runway/airbases for me. It would be nice if DCS could support multi GPU but if we are honest... SLI is an antiquated system. The idea of having to link two GPUs with a connector is absurd. DX12's ambition of leveraging whatever GPU's are connected along with integrated CPU graphics processors is a better solution. Systems that rely on individual game developers to support are generally doomed though. How many games use PhysX? How many use Havoc? VRworks has been around for a year+ and aside from Unreal engine support and a handful of games has almost no support.

ED had said in the past that they won't implement vender specific performance tweaks. Maybe if Nvidia throws money at them it would change

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

ED had said in the past that they won't implement vender specific performance tweaks. Maybe if Nvidia throws money at them it would change

I am going to contact Nvidia to find out how much they actually push their tech? If they'd created the same sort of campaign as Oculus + Palmer Luckey to bring the rift from prototype to market then it might be a whole lot more successful.

Maybe if Nvidia throws money at them it would change

You think they would fall that low :huh:

Besides, when it's about Nvidia, the fully-fidelity and fully-sized smiley faces are at unlimited disposal https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/06/linus-torvalds-says-f-k-you-to-nvidia/

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Maybe if Nvidia throws money at them it would change

I doubt Nvidia even knows Eagle Dynamics exists.

In a VERY large pond, ED is an EXTRAORDINARILY small fish.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I doubt Nvidia even knows Eagle Dynamics exists.

In a VERY large pond, ED is an EXTRAORDINARILY small fish.

That's an overstatement. They are smaller than AAA games like Witcher etc but "EXTRAORDINARILY"... I wouldn't go that far. But yeah certainly not big enough to make Nvidia want to spend their time optimizing their drivers for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apparently Nvidia doesn't know 98 percent of the other VR game developers exist either.

They must have some knowledge, after all they did add the Virtual Link C-Port to the Nvidia 20x series of cards.

And it works beautifully. I have all my Rift connections running through it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Leveraging the VR performance boosting of 1000 series+ GPU...

Apparently Nvidia doesn't know 98 percent of the other VR game developers exist either.

that s because VR is such a small market. most titles don’t support it and most users don’t have it.

“we” are the exception.