diff.lua (versus) .lua files???

I'm new to DCS and have the TS HOTAS stick & throttle and I'm trying to load a custom profile. I was looking in DCS device files and I found a profile that I want to use (i.e. TMC, TTM, Keyboard.lua, and Thrustmaster Combined file). The issue I don't understand is these profiles only have a .LUA file for the keyboard, but DCS keeps looking for a .diff.lua file? I don't understand why the difference.

How do I get DCS to load a .LUA file & not a .DIFF.LUA? Is the file extension .diff.lua due to a newer version of DCS, whereas the profile I am trying to use was created in an older version and the file naming convention has changed? I running 1.5.5, but the profile I am trying to use was created over two years years ago in 7/2015.

I tried deleting all keyboard commands, except one (you have to make at least one assignment or it will not let you save the profile), but that didn't work either. I feel like there's something stupid I'm missing and I can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong?

I tried putting the contents of the .LUA file from the profile I want to use into a .diff.lua file and portions of the profile worked, but others simply did not or did not work as they should. I keep thinking the .diff file extension equals "different than default A-10C SIM assignments" and maybe the profile .lua file I'm trying to use doesn't match up exactly. I don't know...

I can run the target software and I finally figured out hot to create a combined device ID (that took forever), but this last piece is beyond my understanding.

Any help is super appreciated as I've been messing with this for days now...

The whole location and function of LUA has changed. The diff.lua that's created in your user\saved games folder gets created when you change the default setting in the game control settings. So if you bind a hotas function to be different than the default one, diff.lua file will be created. You can't really change it.

Also, do you mean that you have T*M* HOTAS? And you want to change a default setting to something else?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yes, I have the TM HOTAS Warthog & trying to set it up with A-10C. You just helped me big time. Nowhere does it say that you can't use .lua files anymore. They still have user-made device profiles in the download section of DCS website, but they're old and use .lua files for keyboard, not dif.lua. However, someone new to DCS will not know this (like me). The TARGET portion of the profile seemed to work fine, but the keyboard file will not map properly and I could not figure out how to make it work. I guess I'll just have to ga back to square one and learn how to code my own profile from scratch, instead of using someone else's. Was hoping to avoid having to start from scratch. I haven't seen any profiles yet that use dff.lua files, but then I haven't looked that well either. I just got TIR5 today and am trying to get that setup now. Thanks for your help! Just knowing the game has evolved releases and .lua files no longer work helps a lot.

You can't use DIFF.LUA, but you can use the default.lua files in the C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick

directory. But with Warthog, everything is already mapped out of the box. If you want to modify one or two settings, it's easier to do it in the Controller setting within DCS.

Homefries has a pre-made TARGET scripts that you can use as an alternative. As does Polaris.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Sorry not quite following here. How do we go about setting up our own controller profiles now? I'm wanting to set-up 2 position switches with the TM Warthog in the M2K

PC spec: i9 9900KS @ 5.1ghz, 32GB RAM, 2 TB NVME M2, RTX 3090

Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Rift S, Custom UFC

Sorry not quite following here. How do we go about setting up our own controller profiles now? I'm wanting to set-up 2 position switches with the TM Warthog in the M2K

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226&page=15

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130459

Have a read of these posts on how to do it.

I've attached my Mirage version as an example, it's not perfect or finished, as the Mirage is still evolving.

I strongly suggest using JSGME when doing any modding

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Danny's Mirage.rar

• Like 1

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

Thanks!!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226&page=15

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130459

Have a read of these posts on how to do it.

I've attached my Mirage version as an example, it's not perfect or finished, as the Mirage is still evolving.

I strongly suggest using JSGME when doing any modding

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

PC spec: i9 9900KS @ 5.1ghz, 32GB RAM, 2 TB NVME M2, RTX 3090

Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Rift S, Custom UFC

• 1 year later...

Hey Folks, I thought I would bump this thread rather than make a new one.

Like OP, I'm seeking more explanation on the xxx.diff.lua for control bindings that is saved in the saved games directory with current version of DCS World

In the past, when I have changed bindings on the HOTAS for different aircraft, I choose "Save Profile As", resulting in a xxxx.diff.lua in my Saved Games/etc folder (which is backed up separately). When I have ever reinstalled DCS World, I thought I would just load said profile and all of my bindings would be preserved. However, after doing this, I have found I have to go through from scratch to re bind things anyway.

So what is the purpose of the .diff.lua file? Am I using it correctly?

Many thanks,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

You have to save a diff file for every device you got...then you have to load it for every device

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

You have to save a diff file for every device you got...then you have to load it for every device
Thanks Virus, could you expand please?

When I am in the "Controls" GUI, it just saves one file. Or do I select a binding each on TM Throttle, TM Joystick, and Combat Rudder Pedals and save a .diff.lua each time, resulting in 3 files?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

• 3 years later...
On 6/4/2018 at 3:15 AM, Scotch75 said:

Thanks Virus, could you expand please?

When I am in the "Controls" GUI, it just saves one file. Or do I select a binding each on TM Throttle, TM Joystick, and Combat Rudder Pedals and save a .diff.lua each time, resulting in 3 files?

I have the same request, 4 years later LOL