Option to hide the control stick

• 2 years later...
It's not currently planned- instead, we'll be having snap views available so that you can easily see the HSDI.

For those in VR and with TrackIR; deal with it as the real deal did (or use the snapview!). :)

that is very sad to hear, many other DCS products have this feature for good reasons

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

These kinds of features are brutal eyesores and I'm generally very opposed to them.

The stick obscures the HSDI in reality requiring you to lean over to read it. A snap view is quick and easy to use and easily mappable to your controls.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

These kinds of features are brutal eyesores and I'm generally very opposed to them.

The stick obscures the HSDI in reality requiring you to lean over to read it. A snap view is quick and easy to use and easily mappable to your controls.

Understood, but we're not in the real thing and can't necessarily do that.

If it's not a development priority that's understandable, and if you don't like it that's understandable too. However that doesn't mean there aren't people who would appreciate it and/or for people who your proposed solutions aren't practical.

In short, please don't dismiss the idea out of hand because of your own personal view.

also "choice": who ever things its an eyesore can simply choose NOT to use the feature

while those who have no issues with it can simply hide the stick.

you are not forced to use it

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

also "choice": who ever things its an eyesore can simply choose NOT to use the feature

while those who have no issues with it can simply hide the stick.

you are not forced to use it

"Choice" also applies to a developer choosing NOT to include any said feature, and has stated his resons for doing so. I think it's a valid reason since it directly applies to realism (you can't remove the stick in the real plane) and how pilots deal with it. (Leaning over to look at the display)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

true, still its sad that such quality of life features are dismissed just because "realism".

i am not a pilot, i am a customer of a product that should make my evening fun and not a chore

We're not sitting in the real plane so 'realism' is not a valid reason.

I disagree, I mean we are supposed to be flying a "realistic" simulation. If you don't think "realism" is a valid reason we might as well not fly in DCS at all right? So where do you draw the line? I think that is up to the developer and Eagle Dynamics and not random forum posters.

I mean why stop with removing the stick, there are a lot of "quality of life" improvements that they could add to the module right? Why not ask for a feature that removes the entire cockpit, since we are not really sitting in one?

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I disagree, I mean we are supposed to be flying a "realistic" simulation. If you don't think "realism" is a valid reason we might as well not fly in DCS at all right? So where do you draw the line? I think that is up to the developer and Eagle Dynamics and not random forum posters.

I mean why stop with removing the stick, there are a lot of "quality of life" improvements that they could add to the module right? Why not ask for a feature that removes the entire cockpit, since we are not really sitting in one?

No. Your logic is faulty. Depending on someone's setup, they may not be able to look to either side of the stick which is itself unrealistic, and this is a potential solution. It's an 'unrealistic' solution to solve an existing issue of unrealism. I'm not sure why you think removing the entire cockpit is equivalent.

Well I want a removable cockpit. /s

You're missing my point. I don't have anything against more choice, my point was that it's not up to you or me to demand anything from the developer including options like these. It's up to the developer to include it, or not. The OP asked for this option, the developer stated that it's not coming, and the reasons why. That should have been the the end of it. Criticising the developer, and demanding this (or ANY other) feature even after he explained his reasons is just pure entitlement.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Well I want a removable cockpit. /s

You're missing my point. I don't have anything against more choice, my point was that it's not up to you or me to demand anything from the developer including options like these. It's up to the developer to include it, or not. The OP asked for this option, the developer stated that it's not coming, and the reasons why. That should have been the the end of it. Criticising the developer, and demanding this (or ANY other) feature even after he explained his reasons is just pure entitlement.

I don't doubt that it's the developer's choice and, I never questioned that; I was specifically addressing your point regarding realism and why it wasn't valid.

Stop accusing people of being critical or demanding when no-one is being anything of the sort. You're preventing constructive conversation.

I can certainly understand the realism argument, however as realistic as TrackIR/VR can be they're not the same thing as sitting in an actual cockpit. The Hornet has this option and I use it a lot because even with TrackIR it still makes it hard to see the controls behind the stick without moving the stick itself. IMHO developers should err on the side of the consumer and give them the option, but in the end I'm not a developer and its your product.

I can certainly understand the realism argument, however as realistic as TrackIR/VR can be they're not the same thing as sitting in an actual cockpit. The Hornet has this option and I use it a lot because even with TrackIR it still makes it hard to see the controls behind the stick without moving the stick itself. IMHO developers should err on the side of the consumer and give them the option, but in the end I'm not a developer and its your product.

My thoughts exactly.

I always thought devs not even providing the option for something like this was absolutely baffling. As stated, some don't have the option of 'peering over the stick' and TBH I would consider hiding the stick and still looking down at the actual display to be more 'real' than what ... a snapview? If you want 'realism', don't select the 'option' to hide the stick and peer around it as IRL - seems pretty obvious.

Personally I fly in VR so couldn't care less what HB do, but I have developed things for games and you can get a bit precious about people using it the 'right' way etc etc, but end of the day you need to remember people are paying you money for it so not really up to you to dictate how they use it. Good to see HB will reconsider, for the sake of pple who don't fly in VR/TrackIR.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]