Advice for building a "button box" for DCS please?

I want to do this as a summer project. I want to build two button boxes for use in DCS, non-specific to any aircraft. I don't have much of an idea on how to start though, but I've begun to fantasize anyways. At the moment, I want switches and buttons on one panel, and the other for levers, handles, knobs and three sliders. The switch board will be up front to the right, and the more variable controls are at my left, just inside of my Saitek quadrant.

Current setup:

[ATTACH]184105[/ATTACH]

What I would like eventually:

[ATTACH]184106[/ATTACH]

My switch box idea:

[ATTACH]184108[/ATTACH]

The idea for my side controls:

[ATTACH]184109[/ATTACH]

It seems like I'm being vague, but what I'm asking for is literally every bit of advice and tips you guys know. My biggest stumper I keep running into is knowing what to soder where onto a circuit board, but I will appreciate any and all help.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

,Here are some very basic ideas

I've just added a Leo Bodnar BU0836 USB interface and all seems easy to map so far. :D

I may need to add throttle and stuff and give that Sip another go. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

This is a good area for me to base my design off of, but I still want to make my own two panels.

Right now, what I can't find is information on how to know what to solder where on say, an Arduino Uno. The schematic.pdf on the Arduino website for the Uno is no help, and YouTube how-tos that I have seen only show you where to put what, but not why. I don't want to build someone else's board that I saw in a video. I want to build my own design. I'm just unsure of where to look. Which is why I'm here on the forums.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

You might be better of over at the (Input and Output » Home Cockpits) section Magic Zach.

I looked into creating a board myself awhile back, things get a little more tricky if you want more than just sliders, buttons or momentary toggle switches.

Momentary toggle Basically uses two connections, same as two buttons. Having just simple a box with these you can just use something like the GP-Wiz40 Plug and play in windows, no fancy stuff.

Off and On switches get a little more difficult from my understanding, you either need to modify DCS lua files so DCS knows what to do when a switch is held / button is released etc or you can use DCS BIoS for the aircraft and switches, this requires a little programming of the boards. Not to difficult from what I have seen, they did a great job of trying to make it easy by creating DCS BIOS in the first place, including adding the LEDs, as seen in the video below.

DCS-BIOS Forum section

dcs-bios.a10c.de

This is a good area for me to base my design off of, but I still want to make my own two panels.

Right now, what I can't find is information on how to know what to solder where on say, an Arduino Uno. The schematic.pdf on the Arduino website for the Uno is no help, and YouTube how-tos that I have seen only show you where to put what, but not why. I don't want to build someone else's board that I saw in a video. I want to build my own design. I'm just unsure of where to look. Which is why I'm here on the forums.

I would go through and read more about the board and electronics HERE on sparkfun, lots of basic concepts and diagrams etc. DCS BIOS is based off these boards and software. It will give you more of the "bigger picture" of what you want to achieve as well with the switches you have picked. That will help the guys in the input output or Home Cockpit section if you can explain to them where you want to get to etc.

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

In that case maybe have a look at the Leo Bodnag boards that Fragbum mentioned earlier.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=180

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=205

they are not exactly cheap, but you wont have to worry about programming etc. and can focus entirely on the physical side of things (the actual building of the board).

In that case maybe have a look at the Leo Bodnag boards that Fragbum mentioned earlie
I would also like to recommend these boards.

I have built two button boxes with encoders and switches, both momentary and two position. They just plain work.

Plug and play.

No coding, no worries. easy connections.

Radio shack provided the boxes.

I have also used these to create my own Helo cyclic and collective.

For these I used "Hall effect" sensors which do mot have any dead spot in the center as axis inputs.

Best thing I ever did for The Gazelle!

She loves me now..................:D

If you need and assistance, Rattle my cage!

I would be happy to assist in any way I can.

Hawkeye

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Best thing I ever did for The Gazelle!

:D

She loves me now..................:D

If you need and assistance, Rattle my cage!

Hawkeye

Wot do you mean, she loves me now, rattle rattle. :P

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Wot do you mean, she loves me now, rattle rattle. tongue.gif
Prior to building the cyclic and collective, I found that the wart hog, with 25mm extension, Did not provide the level of realism I REQUIRED!

No excuse me, that She wanted!:music_whistling:

My poor little Tasha, (I call her Tasha after a German Shepard I owned):D

Would get angry and not behave herself!

I was always fighting her for control!

WOMEN!

However, after showering her with presents, (New controls)

She, Like most women, was quite happy again.:D

We do have disagreements occasionally...........

But This is true with all relationships ..........LMAO

We work it out by spending more time together.

Women like this.............:lol:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Works for me,.. :D

Oh......

Like all women,

Be gentle and take things slow............

Easy on her controls

They like this too.............

Helps to get past first base..........:megalol::D

Prior to building the cyclic and collective, I found that the wart hog, with 25mm extension, Did not provide the level of realism I REQUIRED!

No excuse me, that She wanted!:music_whistling:

My poor little Tasha, (I call her Tasha after a German Shepard I owned):D

Would get angry and not behave herself!

I was always fighting her for control!

WOMEN!

However, after showering her with presents, (New controls)

She, Like most women, was quite happy again.:D

We do have disagreements occasionally...........

But This is true with all relationships ..........LMAO

Women like this.............:lol:

“Women like this ...”. - CLASSIC. :D

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. I might give you a holler and kick your cage if I need you ;)

OP - check out the Corsair K70 or K65 RGB keyboard ... you can color code EVERY key individually. Very handy at night.

For Hawkeye60:

Irene’s her name

She’s one of the best.

So every night

I give her the test.

She looks so pretty.

So sleek, so slim.

The moon is bright

the lights are dim.

I’ve seen her stripped.

I’ve seen her bare,

I’ve felt her over everywhere.

I handled her just as gentle as I could.

And when I got up in her

I knew she was good.

I rolled her over on her side

Then from the rear I also tried.

She’s just one big thrill of a ride

the best in the land, be still my pride.

She’s a C-130

in the Air Force Reserve Command.

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

OP - check out the Corsair K70 or K65 RGB keyboard ... you can color code EVERY key individually. Very handy at night.

For Hawkeye60:

Irene’s her name

She’s one of the best.

So every night

I give her the test.

She looks so pretty.

So sleek, so slim.

The moon is bright

the lights are dim.

I’ve seen her stripped.

I’ve seen her bare,

I’ve felt her over everywhere.

I handled her just as gentle as I could.

And when I got up in her

I knew she was good.

I rolled her over on her side

Then from the rear I also tried.

She’s just one big thrill of a ride

the best in the land, be still my pride.

She’s a C-130

in the Air Force Reserve Command.

11 out of 10!