Would you fly Civilian/military cargo plane in DCS? Adapting the C-130...

Frag

Hi guys,

you will agree that DCS is beautiful and that most you you at some point just did some flying around without really engaging in combat.

Would you use DCS to fly civilian / cargo plane if you could? How AWESOME would it be, for example, to fly a C-130 over Nevada to go drop some cargo near a battle zone. I wonder if this kind of module would pull enough crowd to interest any third parties into developing it.

I was thinking, as an example, about CaptainSim, who already developed an amazing C-130 for FSX. Since they already have all the 3D models and flight parameters figured out, I wonder if they would be interested doing a DCS version of it if they have enough pre-order.

13819-maffszip-0-c-130j-2.jpg

ac130_2.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know about the future , but i understand that ED has always had a policy of no more than 2 engines for flyable aircraft . Still leaves lotsa room for twin-engine transports though .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Don't know about the future , but i understand that ED has always had a policy of no more than 2 engines for flyable aircraft . Still leaves lotsa room for twin-engine transports though .

F/A-18 - 2 Engines

A-10C - 2 Engines

F-5E - 2 engines

and half of the FC3 modules.

Its only a matter of time to jump to 4 XD

Chinook lover - Rober -

Think something lost in translation there ....I guess a lot of cpu resources are necessary for modeling of engines to ED standards . I would expect turboprops to be even more demanding . Not a peep in the pipeline about any >2 engine developments , so i wouldn't hold my breath .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yep, I'd buy a flyable Herc in a heartbeat...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Think something lost in translation there ....I guess a lot of cpu resources are necessary for modeling of engines to ED standards . I would expect turboprops to be even more demanding . Not a peep in the pipeline about any >2 engine developments , so i wouldn't hold my breath .

IIRC, it's just an old SDK limitation. Nothing more.

I'd imagine ED will solve it when either a 3rd party dev asks for it, or they need it for their own module(s).

F'instance, they'll prolly be the first to tackle twin engine props when they get around to doing the Mosquito.

The game supports 4 engines at some level anyway, as there's now multiple 4 engine AI assets.

As for a Herc or similar, I'm down for that, as long as it gets a few more supporting features improved like embarking (both troops and vehicles), para-drops, and the ability to carry goods + actually having effects.

If/When ED get around to the Dynamic Campaign, having to run resupply missions to troops, FOBS or just other airbases could well be interesting. Would be useful in MP too if coupled to the current warehousing system.

Edited by Buzzles

Not necessarily. Most 4 engine a/c don't have weapon systems which is what takes a lot of dev time I understand. I used to love flying the Herc in FSX - would absolutely love it in DCS - hell, even an AC130 to push it a little.

Just adds a bit of variety although not much from the flying perspective if you are doing A2AR (unless you like racetracks on AP :P).

If anyone has played the TAW campaign for IL2BOS, you'll see that there's a big requirement for cargo a/c (JU52/PE2) - same for something like the C130.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

People would buy it right away and it must be much easier to make since there is no weapon systems. But for some reason they don't want to make one

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yeah I’d buy a cargo or transport module because ED would of course make it amazing. My hesitation to suggest they spend the resources developing such a module lies in the fact that DCS maps really don’t support the kind of flying I’d want to do with those planes. The maps are almost perfectly tailored for combat ops (go figure), not so much heavy logistics. There’s barely enough space to reach cruising altitude in a large aircraft, much less anywhere to cruise to once you’re up there. An AC-130 would be badass and useful, but again, this post is really talking about the big haulers.

Like I said though, if they made it I’d buy it.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

If you build the AC-130 gunship.

That would be a game / campaign in itself if you did it right.

There were 17 million sales of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and many would love to play a full campaign shooting from the gunship.

You could then in the same campaign have A-10C's come in and drop their ordnance, like they did IRL.

Then you could have a side campaign with the A-10C (More sales for the A-10C) then later when combined arms is a little better, experience it all from the ground.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

People would buy it right away and it must be much easier to make since there is no weapon systems. But for some reason they don't want to make one

Actually I'm not perfectly sure it's true that it would be much easier. After all, if you bought a full-price module of a cargo plane you would expect a properly working and somewhat meaningful logistics system in place that was not relying on user-created scripts (and a certain basic knowledge of coding to set them up in your own missions) to work right. I think that could still be very much worth it, also because other modules would benefit from it as well.

I agree with the "lot of flying without combat engagement". Some Support planes could be fun, but still would be nice to keep it more to military side or with some military use.

Edit: Maybe it would attract new type of players, which are not mainly combat oriented. For me, DCS started with helicopters. Which are not very combat thing for me as well.

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

If you build the AC-130 gunship.

That would be a game / campaign in itself if you did it right.

There were 17 million sales of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and many would love to play a full campaign shooting from the gunship.

You could then in the same campaign have A-10C's come in and drop their ordnance, like they did IRL.

Then you could have a side campaign with the A-10C (More sales for the A-10C) then later when combined arms is a little better, experience it all from the ground.

I do remember that mission that gave me the shiver. This is actually the best scene I ever played in the call of duty single player serie ...

Simple Answer, no!

If I want to spend hours over hours flying racetracks, loops or bananas around I do it with my 2 civilian flight sims.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simple Answer, no!

If I want to spend hours over hours flying racetracks, loops or bananas around I do it with my 2 civilian flight sims.

That would be quite different in DCS, since you could be part of a mission to drop cargo in combat zone ... where you would interact with strike/cap group to wait for the good moment to do low passes and drop cargo ...

Would be really fun to circle over a zone while A10 are clearing it out for you you to be able to land for a minute or two...

Carrying cargo around in a combat sim would be WAY different than one in a civ sim.

I would love to have this in DCS as well, but given the DCS quality requirements, especially that of AFM/EFM (as well as ASM) for 3rd party developers, the chances aren't that good - unless CaptainSim (et al) can create such advanced flight model and system modeling.

(Correct me if I am wrong, but FSX/P3D don't really offer much in terms of realistic flight modeling in the first place, and that's why certain failed 3rd party devs might be better off over there because of said lower requirements)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I wouldn't mind seeing a Hercules in DCS, in any variant, however I do take exception to one thing the OP wrote.

Pre-orders to fund development. That is simply just wrong. I won't name any names but we've already had at least one third party that I know of that took money for DCS modules that very likely will never see the light of day. This is not the right way to go about it, and I feel a good number of DCS customers are already turned off by any such scheme.

If a developer lacks funds for development there are other options out there, donations, kickstarters, creditors, publishers etc.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

C-130, An-26, C-160, Id love to fly one of those.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |