F-18 Survive ability

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

Been testing out the damage model on the hornet and notice that it is very easy to get KILLED. Even slow traveling missiles such as r-73's mostly kill you before you can even eject where as with other aircraft such as the 15, 2000, 29, 27 you are shot down but can eject. Is this because the Hornet is less armored than these jets or is it because they are still working out the damage model? I am certainly not arguing with the fact that if you are hit by a missile you are going down, what I am saying though is that you should have a better chance of surviving said impact given the condition.

Been testing out the damage model on the hornet and notice that it is very easy to get KILLED. Even slow traveling missiles such as r-73's mostly kill you before you can even eject where as with other aircraft such as the 15, 2000, 29, 27 you are shot down but can eject. Is this because the Hornet is less armored than these jets or is it because they are still working out the damage model? I am certainly not arguing with the fact that if you are hit by a missile you are going down, what I am saying though is that you should have a better chance of surviving said impact given the condition.

I agree with ya...

Glad to see someone else making this observation. It seems to me that for anything the size of the AIM-9 or larger has a very high fatality rate for my pilot. This includes being hit directly behind or on the underside of the aircraft. Of course I have no doubt that being hit by a missile is a huge danger for the pilot, but sometimes I contemplate if I should just eject a few seconds before that AMRAAM hits me. To me, surviving the flight even in defeat is a great satisfaction on its own.

I believe it has been mentioned somewhere that the damage model is wip.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I was hit with 2-3 R-60s before going down.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

I share the impression that you get killed very easy. No way to eject. I really wonder if this is a reality.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Problem is, you gotta slow down to eject...anything over 300 KTS is usually fatal for ejection. But slowing down makes you an easier target for guns in a furball...maybe some sort of auto ejection if it has been monitored that the pilot is unconscious and conditions are safe to eject...

I share the impression that you get killed very easy. No way to eject. I really wonder if this is a reality.

Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that the centre of the impact point used by a missile's proximity fuse in DCS, is the pilot's head. That would explain not being able to eject.

I'd hope that it is indeed WIP, since other modules don't seem to have that problem of the pilot getting killed on every hit.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Problem is, you gotta slow down to eject...anything over 300 KTS is usually fatal for ejection. But slowing down makes you an easier target for guns in a furball...maybe some sort of auto ejection if it has been monitored that the pilot is unconscious and conditions are safe to eject...

You sure about that ejection speed. I'm pretty sure it's been safe to eject over Mach since the 60's/70's

Because WIP, but even old modules far from reality. In real air aircraft can fall apart instantly by loosing stability and overgeez after damaging/loosing some aerodynamic surface, and pilot of course be blackouted.

i5-4670/3,4Ghz/16GB DDR3/64xWin7/GTX1070/2xHDD RAID-0/1080p/Своп на отдельном харде

You sure about that ejection speed. I'm pretty sure it's been safe to eject over Mach since the 60's/70's

quote from NATOPS:

„Safe escape is provided for most combinations of aircraft altitude, speed, attitude, and flight path within the envelope of 0 to 600 KIAS airspeed and 0 to 50,000 ft. altitude.“

No, I'm not but that number always seemed to stick in my head...but when I do a search I only get the extreme incidents...like "there have been six or seven pilots who have survived ejection at mach speeds...well, maybe so, but is it the "recommended" speed

quote from NATOPS:

„Safe escape is provided for most combinations of aircraft altitude, speed, attitude, and flight path within the envelope of 0 to 600 KIAS airspeed and 0 to 50,000 ft. altitude.“

Some important info missing from that:

1. Optimum speed for ejection is 250 knots and below.

2. Between 250 and 600 knots, appreciable forces are exerted on the body, making ejection more

hazardous.

3. Above 600 knots, excessive forces are exerted on the body making ejection extremely hazardous.

When possible, slow the aircraft before ejection to reduce the forces on the body.

There is a video on youtube of an f15 pilot who survived a supersonic ejection. The video claimed he was the only one at the time.

From his description of the event it sounded like something you'd want to avoid.

Well pilots only leave the plane either walking or ejecting.

I would presume that no matter how far or high or low you are

then its a matter of life and death to stay in the plane, and

at least ejecting give you a chance compared to staying in a plane that is going down.

I take the chance ;-)

But ofcourse yes if possible and there is enough time eject at a slow speed.

Example in Denmark a while ago an F16 had an emergency with wheel suspension that had fallen off and the rear wheel was hanging loose.

There was no way he would land or even raise the gear.

He fly to an location a few km from land and ejected while his wingman filmed him with the TGP.. A few minutes later he was picked up by the Helicopter rescue and was saved.

You can see the tire at 08.00

${1}

Edited by delevero

• 1 year later...
There is a video on youtube of an f15 pilot who survived a supersonic ejection. The video claimed he was the only one at the time.

From his description of the event it sounded like something you'd want to avoid.

That pilot came to our squadron on one safety day and told us about the incident. He was hella lucky to survive it.

The faster the speed, the less pleasant, and less survivable the ejection. 250 is a good reference ejection speed. High speed ejection is physically possible but I wouldn’t exactly call it safe.

• 1 month later...

Issue is still present in the current version of DCS open beta. My pilot is almost always killed instantly with a missile hit, so I am unable to eject. However, I don't have this issue in the A-10. Must be the titanium canopy.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

Never been able to eject from the Hornet after getting hit. It seems it's always instant death. ED might just as well remove the entire ejection seat from the Hornet :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

R-60 was rear atmosphere missile, so missile went straight to engines.

R-60M became almost full angled one, leaving IIRC 10-15° from straight front incapable see heat, but missile still flew to hottest part = engine if saw it.

R-73 is designed for interception of the full fuselage, not to fly to engine but to middle of whole aircraft, if not even slightly forward.

The early AIM-9's IIRC up to L variant were flying straight in the engine combust chambers and blowed up there if you shot from rear. There are videos of them going straight in as proximity fuze was bad.

So why pilot likely die against R-73 is that it is designed to destroy aircraft, not just engine. So pilot is in the area where proximity fuse blows the bars.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.