Sim Voice Checklists - what do you want?

Johnny Dioxin

Hi Guys (and Gals?)

I've just uploaded Sim Voice Checklists for start-up procedures for the Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, L-39 and Huey. They follow the same procedures and numbering as in my pictiorial guides.

These are interactive checklists, where you have the program running in the background and at the stage where you require a particular checklist, you simply call it up through your microphone.

The checklist is then read out - I used to use a commercial voice for this, but this time I have recorded the phrases myself - one article at a time, and continues to the next one with a voice command (in this case, either "Affirmative" or "Checked"). You can use most words to confirm and move on, but when I did this for Falcon BMS, I found that it's easy to confuse the voice recognition, which can get frustrating - so I chose the simple option.

You can also use a keypress to advance the checklist, if you set it up that way in the options.

The program was written by Paul Endersby a few years ago, for FSX, under a GNU GPL licence.

Please have a look at these (I will post the links once they are approved) and let me know what you would like added.

Also, would you like the option to go through the entire checklists by just keypresses, rather than speaking into the mic, and see the checklist items appear on screen (as text) rather than hearing audio?

If so, I would have to rewrite these ones and change my system, because I currently use a numbering system, rather than writing out the checklist item in full. But I would be happy to do that, if enough people want it.

Also bear in mind, I do not own the Bf-109 or Fw-190 modules, so if they are desired, I would not be able to confirm the procedures or upload a pictorial guide to accompany any checklists.

I'll be posting a video on YouTube in the next few days, with a demo of both setting up and use in-sim.

NOTICE: This utility will not be updated any more as it is far more convenient to use the KIF utility.

Links:

Ka-50:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1825587/index.php

Mi-8:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1825604/

MiG-15:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1825597/

L-39:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1825595/

Huey:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1825592/

Guide:

https://youtu.be/FqFgDl01mKw

UPDATE:

A-10C various checklists added (see post #27):

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2077500/

UPDATE 2:

MiG-21bis start-up checklist added:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2081147/index.php

Edited by Brixmis
update 09/09/16
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Sounds great, Brix. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any update.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

Interesting - I'm working on something like this in Voice Attack profiles: a set of voice navigable checklists (with paramtrically driven levels of detail, and hints) and a general library to streamline the creation of new checklists.

Great minds think alike? Fools seldom differ? ;)

I have voice attack, but haven't really used it yet. I bought it with some voice packs (HCS?) for Elite, but was too lazy.... :music_whistling:

I have been using VAC for years - used it to control some of the early modules before reading up, and I have a couple of comms-only profiles - and had considered doing checklists with that. Again, it was more effort than I could be bothered with at the time.

This one is very easy and quick to set up, though. I've been meaning to do these for ages and finally got round to it! Now I'm ready to go all the way :)

* this was the original, by the creator:

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Brixmis,

Just saw your A-10 Navigation gone awry.

Any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

(BTW, your squadron's maintenance department will be billing your CC for the damages to your wing tip and there is a traffic cop here with some sort of speeding ticket for you!)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Thanks - yes, that was a fun event. These damn truck drivers!

I had a better one about a year ago, online, Same thing happened, but there was a sharp right-hander in the road ahead. I think no-one was more astonished than I was, that I made it round the bend and managed to stop with no damage! :joystick:

As Murphy's law would have it, the track was completely messed up, so it wasn't possible to make a video for YouTube. Very disappointing.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Brixmis, thanks again for your contributions. I was able to launch and run through the checklist once, but once inside the game, no joy. In the debug I see that my commands are being correctly detected, the checklist are not being executed though. I'll play around with things some more.

A shutdown checklist for the Huey would be greatly appreciated, if you ever get the time. Thank you Sir.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Thanks for your time. Very nice App. I had to lower the confidence to 93 so I would be understood but after that it worked quite nice.

Being open source you think it can be "mutated" to transmit joystick inputs?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

@zaelu, thanks. Setting mine to 93 also solved my problem.

@Brixmis, I'd like one more thing added to the Huey checklist pls. "Set instruments", or something of that nature to remind me to turn on and zero the radar altimeter, and any other instrument. Does anyone know if we need to set the barometric altimeter and DG? I noticed once that I got the aircraft started and began taxiing that the radar altimeter was off (switch is at the back of the overhead panel, but the radar altimeter doesn't come "alive" until you rotate the left knob a click). Looks like the altimeter is automatically set to the prevailing barometric pressure and the DG is set to true heading on spawn. Wow, is there that much magnetic variation here? OK, so really, the only nice thing to have would be "Radar altimeter power switch set to RADAR".

Edited by Chipwich
Clarified settings

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Sounds great Brixmis:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Aircrafts: F-16C | TF-51 | M2000C | F/A-18C | AV-8B | Viggen | KA-50 | A-10C | UH-1 | Mi-8 |

Maps: Caucasus | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Normandy | Syria

System: AMD Ryzen 3700X | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 64Bit | 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Equipment: TrackIR 5_Trackclip Pro |TM Warthog HOTAS | Oculus Rift S

Pleased it seems to be working okay.

I will look at doing the shut-down checklist, Chipwich. I'll check the RAlt setting, too. These checklists come entirely from the respective module's start-up tutorial missions, so if there is something that isn't included, it's because the dev's procedure didn't include it.

That's an interesting point, zaelu - I'll ask Paul.

I do want to do further checklists, I just wanted to see if anyone actually wanted them, first, and how well they were received by the community.

I think in future I will do the 'advance by keypress' and show text functions in all of them - that way it would probably appeal to more people.

It will take longer, but now I know they will be used, that's fine :)

Kneeboard Guides

No problem Brixmis. Based on what you've done, I've tweaked it to my liking and recorded my own version with a few personal additions like Set flight instruments and Set takeoff trim. Yours is more standard so I wouldn't change it. Cheers!

Edited by Chipwich

Hi Chipwich - that's great. This is really what it's all about - spreading the word and when people see how simple it is, they can change it to add their own or just make their own lists, too.

Of course, you can use any voices, including MS Anna, or none at all.

I'm also using an older version of the SVC program - it does enough for this purpose, but the later ones had extra options built in.

Anyone can help themselves to the newer version of SVC:

(update - website is now closed)

This is a recent website that someone set up as a kind of meeting and resource sharing point for people that use SVC.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Thx for the Share :thumbup: that looks v cool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I'll see what i can do, but like I already said - I don't have the 109 or 190.

If someone can provide a text checklist, I can make a voice checklist out of it.

In fact, that goes for any checklists that anyone may want as a voice checklist - post it here or pm it to me. If you want my start-up checklist for that other sim, I can give you the link to download it (by pm, of course).

Keep an eye on my website, too - as a new section is coming, based entirely on these.

Kneeboard Guides

The video is nearly done :)

Been tearing my hair out after doing recordings in 4 parts and finding the first, longest one was diffy the sound in my video editor! Why??!! :cry_2:

Kneeboard Guides

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks.

I take it you mean the A-10C.

I don't think I got around to doing it and I've been busy with the FlyInside wiki recently (and testing VR A/G ops - which work well), so I've not had time for this for a while.

I'll definitely give it a look, as I've been thinking of using these in the Rift, too. In fact, I'll probably do all of the other modules, except the -109 and -190, which I don't own.

Just give me a week or two ;)

Kneeboard Guides