The DCS Stennis & IFLOLS Are Wrong: How/what it means to the virtual meatball flier

Matthew10_28

For those of you with insomnia, here is a corrected deep dive on the Stennis model and IFLOLS. Though my previous findings were made from some incorrect assumptions including the now erroneous suggestion to raise the IFLOLS model, the Stennis & IFLOLS are still wrong. Come see what it means here. You can literally skip to the last few minutes to see what it means for us.

If it matters, all of this data was gathered about a month ago. I haven't seen any indications that any of this has been corrected, but I haven't looked super hard either.

TLDR & TLDW: It's not realistic, but its fairly authentic.

Well that explains my initial habit of snagging 4-wires all the time. I always try to lead a high ball instead of a low ball. Between this and the inverted ground effect, which is now sucking me down into the 1 or 2 wire at the ramp, it's tough to get that 3-wire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this topic dead?

Seems a bit sad since ED wants to release a "paid for" carrier simulation of the Nimitz (assuming it will be payware) while their "free" carrier isnt finished/wrong. Basically i will need to pay to get a correct carrier (assuming it will be modelled correctly this time) :noexpression:

Edited by Parkbank

Constantly overshooting 3 wire with ball centered

I know there was some discussion before, including a report of the Stennis being too small by a few feet or so. Not sure what it is, but while I am perfectly able to get consistent 3-wires in the F-14, with the F-18 flying the ball all the way to the deck ALWAYS ends up in a 4 wire or even a bolter. To get a 3-wire I have to keep the ball one unit below the center.

I have even tried to "fly" the ball in F11 view, and I end up several feet in front of the 4 wire if I keep the camera centered on the ball all the way to the deck.

Now, I would doubt my piloting skills if I weren't able to fly the ball properly, but this is not the case anymore, besides, I do it with the F-14 which is arguably harder to land.

Do you have any ideas? Is this happening to you as well? could it be a bug?

Thanks!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Noticed the same.

In real life different aircraft have different hook position relative to cockpit, and this is taken into account when setting the ball lights. I don't think it's modelled in DCS, it's just one path for all airframes (or even F11 view as you've noticed).

Could be another reason.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Is this topic dead?

Seems a bit sad since ED wants to release a "paid for" carrier simulation of the Nimitz (assuming it will be payware) while their "free" carrier isnt finished/wrong. Basically i will need to pay to get a correct carrier (assuming it will be modelled correctly this time) :noexpression:

Really, You will need to pay?:(

I hope it will be free.

Ryzen 9 5900x | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | 32GB RAM