Homebuilt Cockpit and VR

Moose

I built a Spitfire cockpit to use with TrackIR and projector/screen. Then I tried RIFT VR and couldn't go back to the flat screen. The upside is that all the controls and switches 'fall to hand' naturally, however there aren't many in a Spit cockpit :)

Mixed reality with chroma key for outside view would be great with a physical cockpit. I wouldn't know where to start :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I have the bare bones of a Mi-24 pit (in anticipation of impending DCS module, thumbs twiddling...) and fly Mi-8 in VR on 229th servers. All my radio panels and navigation aid panels are modelled, and I know exactly where each of them is when I need to turn a dial or flick a switch. And that is flying the 8 in a 24 cockpit.

So I would say VR in a scale replica cockpit makes total sense.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

My plan is to attempt high fidelity on switches, knob and levers to the point I can reach for the corresponding lever in the virtual cockpit and be accurate.

My hope lies with a future controller that will allow hand tracking without gripping a controller or preventing a throttle or joystick to be used in that hand.

Well if you think you’ll be going vr then you need to go one of two directions. One is a specific aircraft so when you reach for a switch in vr it’s there physically. The other way is more versatile once you train your mind is a generic pit and the master switch is in the same location for all access so you know where to reach.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.