DCS Crash When 11+ SAM Fire At Same Time

Nekativ

I have zero'd in on a bug that I have been encountering in multiplayer.

When more than 10 surface to air missiles are fired at the Mirage at once it causes DCS to crash. The same cannot be reproduced for other aircraft.

It does not seem to matter if the SAM is radar or IR guided and I have played in multiple states with the missile launch warning on and off.

I have reproduced it in the attached single player missions. In the mission is a player Mirage flying towards more than 10 SAMs when they decide to launch it crashes. This has been verified with multiple users.

m2k_11_SAMs_bug.zip

Looks like this bug still has not been fixed.

But on the bright side, it was a lot worse, even 1-2 SAM launching at you in the M2000 crashed DCS in the past.

May 2017 - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187056

September 2017 - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192888

February 2018 - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202057

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

This appears to be a slightly different bug, because some of those reports mention it's a possible problem with the launch warning system.

This bug will happen even with all launch warning system and RWR turned off.

It varied over time, D2M on/off had an influence back then....but in the end, it's the same problem which i couldn't reproduce with another module.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed this way in the "In Test" stage on the bug tracker and the comment was "Tested while being fired at by 18 various sams with no crashes"

I would like to reiterate that this bug occurs when 11 sam units or more fire at you at the same time. It does not matter the type, it happens with all of them.

Also please note the sample missions that recreate the problem that I attached to the original post.

I am running the latest open beta (2.5.3.2446) as of this date and I have confirmed the bug with 100% success rate across 10 people.

I hope I was helpful.

IS very simple to reproduce. Is related to multiple MWS nails when several missiles are fired at the same time.

Here you have a crash log with track file. It crashed with the same mission at the third attempt. Is just a mission with 12 Avengers shooting at the same time.

M-2000C Crash MULTIPLE SAMS.zip

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Guy i cant get my system to crash, even using Fragals Track. I will keep trying tho.

Thanks for looking into this. I have some missions attached to the original post, does it not reproduce with those?

I setup a mission, lay down 11 hostile SAM units in the same squad, say "SAM Roland ADS", make sure to set their skill level to excellent so they all fire at the same time instead of staggering their shots. Then simply fly the Mirage into them until they fire at you.

I have handed the missions I made to 12 people so far and they all confirmed the crash, if its not reproducible on your end how can we help narrow this thing down further?

Thanks for looking into this. I have some missions attached to the original post, does it not reproduce with those?

I setup a mission, lay down 11 hostile SAM units in the same squad, say "SAM Roland ADS", make sure to set their skill level to excellent so they all fire at the same time instead of staggering their shots. Then simply fly the Mirage into them until they fire at you.

I have handed the missions I made to 12 people so far and they all confirmed the crash, if its not reproducible on your end how can we help narrow this thing down further?

Thank you I will try again . Can I ask what is your pc spec?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I have some missions attached to the original post, does it not reproduce with those?

Not always (2 game freezes/5 tests).

The Roland's didn't crash the game in my case despite launching 11 missiles and shooting me down.

Testing the Strella (SA-13) was different, 7 missiles was good (no game crash) but on two other runs, the game crashed (frozen screen).

Unfortunately tacview saved zero length .acmi's and there was no "AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\LastMissionTrack.trk" to recover either, so I don't know how many missiles were fired.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thank you I will try again . Can I ask what is your pc spec?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply.

My specs are as follows:

-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

-Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

-Intel Core i7 3770k

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

-32GB of RAM

-32GB Pagefile

-Nvidia Driver version 417.22

-DCS is Open Beta version 2.5.3.24984

DCS Settings:

https://imgur.com/a/QQboRuQ

Not always (2 game freezes/5 tests).

The Roland's didn't crash the game in my case despite launching 11 missiles and shooting me down.

Testing the Strella (SA-13) was different, 7 missiles was good (no game crash) but on two other runs, the game crashed (frozen screen).

Unfortunately tacview saved zero length .acmi's and there was no "AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\LastMissionTrack.trk" to recover either, so I don't know how many missiles were fired.

I think the inconsistency is with the AI units staggering their shots, I went back and re ran some tests and had some problems with the AI sam units firing their shots at the same time while in the same group.

I went ahead and made another couple of missions, this time with the SAM units not in the same group and managed to get 100% consistent results again on my end.

I attached two files mission files, one with a M2000 and another with an F18, the M2000 mission crashes every time and the F18 mission does not.

I also attached the crash report generated from one of the crashes.

m2kbug.miz

f18bug.miz

dcs.log-20181214-072552.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Another Crash. This time playing the Red Flag Campaign Mission 4 at night, when the Tornados are shooting ARM on the SA-15´s.

The moment they said "MAGNUM" and my MWR lits DCS crashed inmediatly.

Track provided:

dcs.log-20181222-162024.zip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

• 1 month later...

After todays OB update it seems this bug is fixed.

I was testing it with 12 Manpads in a very narrow circle shooting at the same time almos 6-8 of them. 10 Tests in a row, not a single crash. So im quite sure is fixed now.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is that it seems after the first voley of missiles detected by the MWS the alert is not working anymore for the next voleys. It seems the MWS stops working.

I need to test it more turning off and turning on the D2A but the tests ive done not a single one the system worked after the first alerts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]