RTX 2080 compatibility issue ? (DCS 2.5.3 & F18)

brood34

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody also face same issue as I do.

When flkying (F18), almost regularly (but without a fixed frequency), I have my screen freeze for nearly 1 second, and then recover normally.

I have noticed (using Process Minotor) that at the same moment that the 3D usage curve fall down to 0 as a real 'pic' and then recover to the previous value.

This happen whether the 3D load is at 99%, 75% of even 50%

My CPU not even at 60%

I have made test to put Graphic option at nearly the minimum possible, but still facing the issue.

I have a fearly new computer with 32 GB RAM, a 6 Physical core CPU (overclocked) and a RTX 2080 TI (11 GB Ram, which are not all used.) and not using VR

If ever somebody face the same kind of issue or has ant idea on how to investigate, I will really appreciate.

Thanks for any kind of support. :helpsmilie:

Check the energy saving in Nvidia Control Panel and set to "max performance", if it isn't. Do you run DCS from an SSD?

Last but not least, post your DCS settings.

I have set the Nvidia to "Power for Max Performance".

Windows is running on one SSD and DCS on another one.

My DCS Graphic setting are usually quite high, but I got the same issue with very low setting (almost everything to Off or 0) [of course with a lower visible impact as GPU was running at less than 20% and recover this level faster than 80% ]

I start to think to something else that triggers the CPU (which also present a downward pic, but not as strong as GPU) which by consequence stop temporarily triggering GPU.

I will do test with dedicated tools (CPU-Z, ... ) and see what happen.

(what troubles me is that I never face the issue while playing X-Plane, even with very high graphic levels).

Salut brood34.

You describe what I call stutters. In my usage they are totally related to weather.

A mission with a "big" weather gives many stutters (they can happen when firing missile, shooting a unit, or nothing special) - while the same mission with a clear weather gives zero stutters.

You can try a mission with and without big weather to see if it's also the case with your usage.

ED's working on a new weather system so I don't expect changes on actual one.

Here a thread where I posted my results on caucasus/F-18 about weather, but your issue may be caused by other thing, weather's not the only possible cause (for exemple on some scripts when you ask a ground task big stutters occurs when target units are loaded, with or without weather) :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225668

Salut brood34.

You describe what I call stutters. In my usage they are totally related to weather.

Hi toutenglisse & tintifaxl

I was not aware about the waether issue, I will pay attention to it, and follow closely the change by DCS.

Anyway, I guess I have found the most of my issue (could be not 100%, but far enought) : it sits on tow points (I detect it through event journal: talking about (I detect it through event journal flush & index and ESENT behaviour in front of 'Beta site' which I associated to DCS 2.5.3 Beta !)

- I frequently had iwindows interruption to "refresh" its indexation of my disks ==> I deactivate the index management for both my disk (and all their folders)

- From disk properties, I went to Strategy and deactivate the cache flush

Doing that, I had a 30 minutes flight without any big issues, only two very small (possibly linked to the weather issue).

Thanks for your advices :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:pilotfly: Have nice flights ! :pilotfly:

Hello Everybody,

I have been asked already twice for more details about the flush method.

From explorer, select your disk > Properties

On the Properties popup, go to Hardware Tab and select the disk (you will have to do the whole procedure for each of your HDD & SDD). Press Property button (bottom of popup)

On the new popup, press "Modify Parameters"

This opens another popup where you go to Strategy tab

There, you check the checkbox "Deactivate the flush ..." (I am not sure of the english wording, as I have a french windows).

Valid all your changes with all OK button

(don't forget to repeat the action for all you HDD & SSD).

I recommend a reboot and then .. a lot of flights.

Brood34

Edited by brood34

Hello Everybody,

I have been asked already twice for more details about the flush method.

From explorer, select your disk > Properties

On the Properties popup, go to Hardware Tab and select the disk (you will have to do the whole procedure for each of your HDD & SDD). Press Property button (bottom of popup)

On the new popup, press "Modify Parameters"

This opens another popup where you go to Strategy tab

There, you check the checkbox "Deactivate the flush ..." (I am not sure of the english wording, as I have a french windows).

Valid all your changes with all OK button

(don't forget to repeat the action for all you HDD & SSD).

I recommend a reboot and then .. a lot of flights.

Brood34

Are you talking about deactivating "Write Cache" ?

There are TWO options available that are quite the opposite of each other and picking the wrong one caused by bad translation can lead to a crippled OS install in case of a power outage or a nervous reset finger !!!

Imho, unless you have a a solid UPS, do NOT deactivate Windows' clearing of the cache. if you do that while not having secured power you are with 1 foot in a reinstall...sooner or later.

You may, put it all to OFF, that is safe but slower. This is option #2.

The standard is" Yes, cache is ON but Windows decides when to write back ( to disc )"...which is actually a 3rd Option, the one PRESET by Windows

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

To be secured, I fully join BitMaster : do not deactivate permanently disk flush without UPS.

Nevertheless, for those who face this type of issues, you can deactivate it temporarily, just to make the test during a flight to confirm that the problem disapear or not. If it disappears, it means that you are on the same kind of issue as us, but if it still appears then you have another type of issue.

To reach a final acceptable solution, I have move the "save games" dir and "Temp" directory to my SSD, where I have deactivated the disk-cache (option 2 in BitMaster note).

I still have very good performances, and never face the issue again.