3090? 3080? AMD!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to thank Jenson and all the scalpers for the Ampere supply shortages. Really very, very, very grateful to them!

Yeah, if the 6900XT -- at $999 -- actually delivers the claimed on-par (or better) performance with the 3090, it is hard to see the 3090 having any place in the market... unless folks are willing to pay $500 more for a slight improvement in ray tracing. Unless the 6900XT turns out to have awful thermals or emits poison gas or something, I think a lot of people who were waiting on NVIDIA stock -- even those who were planning to go for a 3080 -- will leap at the 6900. Much as I hate to wait until Dec. 8 (or after), that's my new plan.

Yeah, if the 6900XT -- at $999 -- actually delivers the claimed on-par (or better) performance with the 3090, it is hard to see the 3090 having any place in the market... unless folks are willing to pay $500 more for a slight improvement in ray tracing. Unless the 6900XT turns out to have awful thermals or emits poison gas or something, I think a lot of people who were waiting on NVIDIA stock -- even those who were planning to go for a 3080 -- will leap at the 6900. Much as I hate to wait until Dec. 8 (or after), that's my new plan.

thats probably what im gonna do too! interested to see how it stacks with a 5900 cpu

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

I like the 6800XT best for now. Not completely there at 200% 1080Ti performance, but the price is nice.

Apart from the $50 price reduction, it's best attribute compared to the 3080 may be the ability to actually buy one. That said, I suspect it will still sell out in minutes. We'll see who wins the restocking race.

[video=youtube_share;-uXhNmaaooM]

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

So the question will be - what is best for DCS? Will DCS make use of DLSS? From what I do understand so far is - and plz correct me if I got the wrong picture - that AMD uses/supports a more 'common' or in line with DX12 standard than nVidia trying to establish a maybe better but more 'proprietary' approach?

So for me the choice atm would be 6800XT over RTX3080 - better price, better thermals and the more 'conservative' approach - more VRam instead fancy software/hardware solution?

I have a 3090/10900k setup right now, and have a couple other gaming PCs to upgrade - I have my doubts, but I'll be happy to see the 6900xt be equal to the 3090, I'll happily build two Ryzen 5900/5950 systems with the 6900xt. Can't wait to see if the 6900xt actually is as fast as AMD claims in a couple weeks.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Sticking to my 1080ti up until now allowed me to get a decent stick&throttle&pedals combo instead of the latest overpriced GPU upgrade. I do not need the absolut best GPU for DCS. I strive for the GPU & other fancy simulation stuff combo that delvivers me the best experience for my buck :-)

649 is a reasonable expense, where I will still be able to spent some cash on other simulation soft- & hardware without regret :-)

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Very impressive announcement from AMD today, they really came out strong this year with powerful CPU and GPU offerings. It seems the 6900XT can go neck to neck with RTX 3090 while being much cheaper and more power efficient. Since my 3090 still hasn’t shipped I might just cancel it and wait for the full review of the 6900XT before taking the final plunge.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Very impressive announcement from AMD today, they really came out strong this year with powerful CPU and GPU offerings. It seems the 6900XT can go neck to neck with RTX 3090 while being much cheaper and more power efficient. Since my 3090 still hasn’t shipped I might just cancel it and wait for the full review of the 6900XT before taking the final plunge.

Right after the AMD announcement this morning, my neighbor texted to alert me that BestBuy got a bunch of 3090 FE's in stock. So I decided to give it a go, thinking there was no way I'd get through check out in time. But sure enough, I snagged one. It's now set to be delivered Monday. Thanks to Best Buy's extended holiday return policy, I'll have until January 16th to return the 3090, if I wish.

With that said, I did watch the AMD announcement this morning and the 6800XT really surprised me. So now my plan is to put the 3090 through its paces with DCS with the Rift S, as well as Cyberpunk 2077 and the new Assassins Creed. During this time, I'll be watching real world reviews of the 6900XT, very closely. If it's within even 10-15% of the 3090, in terms of performance, It will be very hard not to jump ship to the 6800XT and return the 3090. Especially with the $500 price difference.

It'll be interesting to see how the next 2 months pan out, regardless.

Right after the AMD announcement this morning, my neighbor texted to alert me that BestBuy got a bunch of 3090 FE's in stock. So I decided to give it a go, thinking there was no way I'd get through check out in time. But sure enough, I snagged one. It's now set to be delivered Monday. Thanks to Best Buy's extended holiday return policy, I'll have until January 16th to return the 3090, if I wish.

With that said, I did watch the AMD announcement this morning and the 6800XT really surprised me. So now my plan is to put the 3090 through its paces with DCS with the Rift S, as well as Cyberpunk 2077 and the new Assassins Creed. During this time, I'll be watching real world reviews of the 6900XT, very closely. If it's within even 10-15% of the 3090, in terms of performance, It will be very hard not to jump ship to the 6800XT and return the 3090. Especially with the $500 price difference.

It'll be interesting to see how the next 2 months pan out, regardless.

Are you jumping to 6900XT now? Where can we find your reviews?