Hornet TGP laser ranging

ColdFront_WI

Is it currently possible to use the laser to measure distance and refine a target position with the targeting pod in the Hornet?

You have to do this in the Warthog if you want to drop a JDAM on top of a building. If you don't, the pod will designate the spot on the ground it is pointed at behind the building.

I assume it's coming since it is labeled as Target Designator/Ranger, but was wondering if it's possible now, and if so, how?

Thanks!

ColdFront_WI

Home-built Hornet pit, detailed plans available on GitHub

Virpil WarBRD base, TM Hornet/Warthog grip, TM Warthog Throttle, Logitech G Pro rudder pedals

MSI MPG Z390M, i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz with Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080ti FE, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think its actually implemented. The coordinates generated at the moment are perfect (despite this being rather inaccurate, but its also a feature on the Harrier TPOD as well IIRC). I suspect that having a functional INS with its error is part of the reason that TPOD errors aren't modeled.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I wanted to put an bomb through a window half way up a tall building in Dubai. I tried setting the GPS coordinates at the front door and increased the elevation a couple hundred feet. Hit the front door. I tried again, this time with a 90 degree drop angle. Still hit the front door.

Then I tried a laser guided bomb which did head for the window but my flying tactics failed my self designating caused by the Podium Effect. I tried high release, boards and in a dive, and kept spot on for as long as I could. Podium effect again. I tried low angle, pull up, release, and turn almost 90 degrees but lit up the left side of the building while the bomb went stupid towards the front. Podium effect again.

I switched to a long shot with an E Mav. I launched twice (about 15 seconds apart) on the burj khalifa about 100 floors up and hit the boards with a shallow dive. The second one hit 100 floors up. Not sure what I did to lose the first Mav.

I'd still like to try an LGB 100 floors up. Any suggestions?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Sorry Mac,

I can't morally condone the destruction of beautiful virtual architecture,and the bombing of civilians...

That and I don't know :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I don't think its actually implemented.

Good to know, thanks. For the moment I'll continue trying to guess how my slant angle will impact location, and estimate where the building intersects the ground...

ColdFront_WI

Virpil WarBRD base, TM Hornet/Warthog grip, TM Warthog Throttle, Logitech G Pro rudder pedals

MSI MPG Z390M, i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz with Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080ti FE, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...
Is it currently possible to use the laser to measure distance and refine a target position with the targeting pod in the Hornet?

You have to do this in the Warthog if you want to drop a JDAM on top of a building. If you don't, the pod will designate the spot on the ground it is pointed at behind the building.

I assume it's coming since it is labeled as Target Designator/Ranger, but was wondering if it's possible now, and if so, how?

With all of the recent updates to the Hornet targeting pod, and with Wags mentioning laser range in one of his recent videos, I thought I would give this a bump. Anyone know if it’s possible to use the laser to measure range with the Hornet targeting pod yet?

Thanks!

ColdFront_WI

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It does tell you the range to the target, watch the video and you'll find the range to the target

Yeah, but it does so without lasing!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It does tell you the range to the target, watch the video and you'll find the range to the target

But it’s not giving you range to target, it’s giving you range to a point on ground behind the target. Try pointing at a building, designating, and then flying over the building. You’ll realize the pod is looking through the building to the ground behind it. And if you drop a JDAM that’s where you’ll hit. Watch this video for how it works in the Warthog:

ColdFront_WI

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But it’s not giving you range to target, it’s giving you range to a point on ground behind the target. Try pointing at a building, designating, and then flying over the building. You’ll realize the pod is looking through the building to the ground behind it. And if you drop a JDAM that’s where you’ll hit. Watch this video for how it works in the Warthog:

Have you reported it in the bug section?

Have you reported it in the bug section?

Good thought. I have not yet because I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's been implemented. But I will post a bug after a bit more testing and if I don't get a clear answer.

Thanks!

ColdFront_WI

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is true I noticed that too, but then you have rephrase your question, I thought you are trying to get a range to the designated spot, that's easy;P

Laser ranging isn't implemented ATM

Fantastic, thanks for clarifying! Do you know what the timeline is for implementation?

ColdFront_WI

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
What is the maximum range at which the laser can be used? Buddy lasing in mind.
For DCS, 8 NM. The laser beam does not extend past this point in DCS.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro