Suggestion Box

EvilBivol-1

^

Gracias!!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Not sure if this has been suggested, but the userfiles section could be dramatically improved. I remember back in the day a certain publisher had similar restrictions, and a 3rd party beast spawned we know and love as av-sim now as a result.

Could you please consider adding filters to:

1) Top 10/20 most popular this week, month, year, all time --- would really help those of use who aren't around much to quickly identify the key content that would actually engage us in the game more and maybe buy more stuff...

2) Allowing #1 to work with filters applied, ie top 10 maps, top 10 mods, etc, or all

3) Filter by map, how can we not have this?

4) Singleplayer / Multiplayer

The business case here is pretty solid, how many games survive these days due to their mods alone. Spending some time here will certainly drive sales as players discover new and exciting things. I just stumbled upon Through The Inferno and now I'm engrossed and it's inspired me to build something myself. As it stands, you'd have to be a forum lurker to be in the know and find the useful stuff.

• 2 months later...

Since a "forum upgrade" is coming and this is one of the few decent-looking forums I'm on, I have a suggestion: don't turn this site into a "mobile-first" design. Too many other forums did, and the results are invariably hideous. DCS requires a proper monitor (or VR), and flying isn't really a job for the visually impaired, so I'd appreciate if the letters remain the size they're now after the upgrade. :)

don't turn this site into a "mobile-first" design. Too many other forums did, and the results are invariably hideous.

So much this. It's not really the most stylish forum I know but "hideous" is putting it mildly on mobile designs.

I fly Hornet, so I can live by hideous, but if it gets in my way I get cross.

I hope the new redesign isn't hugely crazy with huge buttons and monotonic colors for touch devices and totally different layout, might take getting used to but we'll see.

Hopefully it's flexible and it can go through fine tuning, I hate to say it but sometimes the way forums look and work makes quite a big influence on how much I'll visit it, it can't be an eyesore, and I have a 1440p at 32 inches screen and well I've seen redesigns on other gaming sites and honestly I never liked them, took a year to get over it.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I do hope this is the temporary default and not the final design. No mobile-style giant icons, but it still wastes 1/3rd of my screen. Really, simmers tend to own widescreen monitors, often multiple ones. What's that 4:3 compatible crap for? And no, it doesn't look good on a laptop, either.

Making sure the forum UI can adjust itself to the screen size should be a top-priority. It's not that hard, seeing as the old design did that.

I agree with above I highly dislike this new looks. Honestly it looks cheap and bland compared to the old. It is also a heck of a lot less friendly to a quick glance of the form on new topics. Please revert back to the old one or something similar.

• Like 1

I do hope this is the temporary default and not the final design. No mobile-style giant icons, but it still wastes 1/3rd of my screen. Really, simmers tend to own widescreen monitors, often multiple ones. What's that 4:3 compatible crap for? And no, it doesn't look good on a laptop, either.

Making sure the forum UI can adjust itself to the screen size should be a top-priority. It's not that hard, seeing as the old design did that.

No mobile-style giant icons, true. But several features that were previously available automatically are now only available by clicking a tiny icon. For example, accessing the last not-yet-read posing in a thread was the default for the link behind the thread title. Now you have to hit that - what is it 4x4 px icon in front of the thread title. :(

Why would anyone want to default to go to the beginning of a threat? "last not read posting" was soooo much more usefull ...

Or the last posting in a thread was accessible at the forum list and the thread list by clicking at the last poster link. Now this is also available by clicking an other tiny icon.

edit: "first not yet read thread"-link is actually available like it was, but not everywhere. It does not work in the "News" section and not here in "Customer Support".

Edited by Flagrum

So the first new version is up, and the suggestion I have in this round are:

• I would really like to have a Strikethrough text option
  • Signatures are missing ... hopefully that's not intended, I don't have a backup on my end.
  • Presets options for toggling site width, or raising the max if it's automatic, currently it's quite narrow for me on 2560x1440, it's 1200 pixells wide. (fixed, this is a case where one would use a strikethrough text option now in this list line)
  • Themes for the DCS-specific look and feel, colors, icons, etc. Perhaps even community assisted solution so it goes through a process before it's finalized, no rush needed, I don't mind if it takes a month.
  • I would make the profile picture in posts a bit bigger, I think at the current size they become more of pixelated smilefaces with complex avatars.
  • Privacy options, disable external social networks: By default I guess, currently this forum page without any embedded external media, links to google-analytics, google advertisments (doubleclick), youtube, facebook, twitter and yandex sharing some kind of activity with them or just pinging those sites for no reason & without consent, not that the whole web doesn't do that pretty much, but we don't need to do it here, right?xfcJCGj.png

EDIT: Site has been updated, end of round 1.

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Can we go back to the old forum please.

This is most unpleasant to look at. It is quite drab not easy to read at all. What happened to the emojis ?

In fact I've only been looking at it for 5 mins & I'm starting to get a headache,

Why was it changed in the 1st place there was nothing wrong with the old one compared to this.

I'm sorry but this is horrible.

God this is horrible! Why on earth is every thing so small & squashed together?

Edited by mrmat01
  • Like 1

I'm still getting used to the new forum format, so I'm still in the 'all change is bad, this sucks' phase, but I'm giving it a try.

What I miss -- and maybe it wasn't even in the old forum, can't say for sure -- is at the bottom of a thread, there are not options to return to the parent forum or switch to a different forum. The former is especially annoying, because one is forced to scroll all the way back up to the top to return to the parent forum, which is generally what I do when I've finished reading a thread.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

[*]Privacy options, disable external social networks: By default I guess, currently this forum page without any embedded external media, links to google-analytics, google advertisments (doubleclick), youtube, facebook, twitter and yandex sharing some kind of activity with them or just pinging those sites for no reason & without consent, not that the whole web doesn't do that pretty much, but we don't need to do it here, right?

No we don't!

• Like 1

this is my personal opinion, if there are more than 10 other people than me sharing the same opinion, then i'm sorry:

i don't like the new forum, i feel it cold and the general design is very disuasive to try to write / post anything, it feels like a deliberate purpose to make the forum uncomfortable and less usable. i do already have that feeling that in the future i will less visit this forum.

the font is too small for subforum sections, it takes an effort to focus on reading and finding the right subforum sections. I don't suffer of stigma at all, i still find the fonts too small and not comfortable to read, please take in count that in 2020, most of us are using 4K monitors & 4k resolution.

the previous forum version was much more convenient and more comfortable to read

Edited by Teschmacher
  • Like 2

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+ 

This new forum design really sucks. It looks horrible and is missing very important functions that the old one had. How am I supposed to check on all the posts that have been made since my last visit now? With the old forum it was a single click on the top of the page...

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1.) I miss the nice overview of my subcribed forums.

2.) I would like to have the same format which we now have in "POSTS" for the "LATEST ACTIVITY", or is there a way to see "POSTS" sorted by newest first?

3.) It didn't let me change posts per page.

4.) in the "NOTIFICATIONS" it would be nice to not only see the thread's title of the new posts but also the forum name of those threads. e.g. "Radar issues" would be the thread's title but it would be much better to see "... FA-18C Hornet"-forum path as well. (Lot's of planes have Radar ;) )

5.) would like a permanent option for "newest first" in "Edit Subscribed" (in "User Profile") , too

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Lovely, 1800 pixels wide seems about ride, any wider would probably be too much.

Round 2 Suggestions:

-WIP

Terrible. Simply terrible. Unreadable, unengaging, uninspiring.

Who signed off the new forum design? Take their pen away.

Relax, it was destined to happen, I think it brushed my mind 3-4 times in the past 2 years how long until my most visited forum would "drop da bomb" and once again just 2-3 weeks ago, probably some kind of sixth-sense action going on there haha, so I was already pschologically preparing for it.

But it's not just about GUI, it's probably the systems on the back for more than just asthetics reasons, I don't want to speculate about those right now, I'm not that familiar with forum software, but I do have another website job this winter.

The forum was probably put up ASAP with some settings not finalized so that it doesn't create too big of a downtime, infact it's better if the community is involved in real-time as these changes are rolled out.

Ofcourse what could be made into an option, without too much hassle for the backend infrastructure, it should so that we don't force some of our tastes on everyone.

About external content and services:

The way forum software works it may require some code stuff from googleapis.com as many things on the web do but if what is required is not part of any forum critical component, but part of social-plugin features and ads then I don't think it has to be enabled, but usually connection to one domain, has some scripts with connect you to another one and so on, so this isn't the DCS site doing it on purpose most likely, is what I meant, in my opinion.

For example BitBucket offers you to login with a Google Account without warning as if you visited a google site or youtube and already connects and preloads the login, feels so intrusive IMO, has the nose everywhere.

Why I'm picky about login? Well, if you login it gives google okay to do much more, because you agree to all the snooping in the license agreement, that's I guess fine for things like youtube, they already know what videos you would watch without login anyway, but it's not fair to do some random sites on the web that aren't related to the slightest, like some forum here.

Tho in fairness the old forum might have had some of these connections, I just didn't take a look back then.

Edited by Worrazen

It's harder to read. It feels like twice as much clicking and scrolling to get the same information as before. Some utility is simply gone. Change is fine; but there is change for the good, and change for the worse. This was a horrible decision from the user's point of view, in my opinion, whatever the real reason for doing it is.

The sole good thing about this change is that it will free up some of my time since I don't see myself spending much, if any, time here after this deeply disappointing new look.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Yes, indeed. They curbed the waste of horizontal space, but vertical is still bad. And most egregiously, no thread page numbers next to the title. Really? Honestly, I hope this gets sorted out. I want the tight, contrasty old design back.

I knew it'll be a trainwreck ever since they announced the update, in this very thread I posted a suggestion they avoid that pitfall.

Suggestion: Go back to the old forums and start again, this time build a design based on user interface.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra, 64GB G. Skill Ripjaws@3200, CoolerMaster ML360 AIO, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, WD 2TB Black HDD, Asus GTX 1080FE, CoolerMaster C700M Case, Logitech G815 Kb, Logitech G903 Mouse, G13 Gamepad, Z906 500w 5.1 surround speakers, Track IR /w Trackclip pro, TM Cougar MFDS, Warthog Stick on Virpil Warbird Base/Throttle, MFG Crosswinds, 3 x AOC 27" curved 1440p monitors @ 7680 x 1440 resolution, HP Reverb G2

While I'm trying my level best to "accept" this "new" forum, it just screams going backwards to me. It's very difficult to navigate, especially compared to the old forum. It reminds me of BBS. It feels generic and soulless, unlike the old. I used to check the forums daily, but I am so put off by this setup that I think that's going to stop. Now, this may or may not be the case, but I believe many "new users" first check out the forums to find their way. The old one was quite conducive to this, and this one is definitely not. Bluntly, this setup SUCKS.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Honestly the formatting on the new site is terrible. Can you please have a proper UI designer look at this? All the indentations for headers, sub-headers, etc. make no sense and make the site very hard to navigate visually. Additionally each page loads significantly slower. Also, where did the read newest post feature go? The new site simultaneously uses more space vertically and less space horizontally both in the worst way possible. Also also, the upload attachment, toggle advanced editor, and add smiles button are empty so you have to hover over them to figure out what they do.

• Like 2