LOST IT ALL - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
craig_sez

Reputation power: 4
craig_sez will become famous soon enoughcraig_sez will become famous soon enough
Default LOST IT ALL

A few days ago i got my butt into gear and decided to install my new gtx 1070 xtreme gamer vid card,more ram and test the rift out....

Put it all together and nothin..System was dead..After some testing it turns my cosair power supply bought the far and was only puttin out 5 watts.....Weird how that suddenly happens when my pc has been off for a cpl months..
Out i got for a new one...Installed it and bbbzzzz bbbbbzzzzzz flames n smoke for a brief moment..

For some odd reason my hard drive shorted and i lost everything except my i5 and(rift wasnt plugged in nor my peddles or thrustmaster) board/ram....Poor visa took a beating..

Not that i spent alot of time on dcs(work and health come 1st)but now i gotta start from scratch again...

So has there been any add ons i should grab that i missed out on other than the jets i bought and a few extra missions??

Gonna have to look through old posts to get back in the swing of things..
craig_sez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Vitormouraa

Reputation power: 43
Vitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to behold

Funny and sad story not gonna lie but I laughed out loud! If I ever see flames n smoke from my PC, I am running away very fast!

4 months ago my GPU and PSU shorted out, finally got my GPU last Friday.. however I'm still waiting for the PSU to arrive, damn USPS...

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
javelina1

Reputation power: 17
javelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of light

yikes man! The only thing that comes close is when my Brother-in-Law walked up to his PC, (it was powered on). Went to grab his mouse, and he felt a static discharge that went from his middle finger, through the seam/space of the right mouse button. He heard a small pop, and it fried his motherboard.

what a b*tch...

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
Winston 60

Reputation power: 7
Winston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really nice

I once lost everything except my CPU, tower case and monitor when my bargain basement power supply let all of it's smoke out one day. The room smelled like burned wiring all day. It fried itself plus the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, hard drives, sound card, X-52Pro HOTAS, rudder pedals, and even the keyboard and mouse. I've purchased only EVGA gold certified power supplies since.

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti
FTW
MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080
MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit
GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset
Winston 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
The Black Swan

Reputation power: 5
The Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the rough

Wow, that stinks! I wish you well on rebuilding your PC!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:54 AM   #6
craig_sez

Reputation power: 4
craig_sez will become famous soon enoughcraig_sez will become famous soon enough

blk swan..Its all done now...Just gotta set up my sim gear and start everything again..Not that i spend alot of time on dcs but still..

Did some reading and seems cosair power supplys are known for killin gear so ya all keep that in mind when you make the next purchase..

Wasnt a big fan of windows 10 either so now im back to 7..
craig_sez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
KorovaMB

Reputation power: 0
KorovaMB is on a distinguished road

I once had a PC that caught fire (was an internal light that actually flamed up). Quickly put it out. Shockingly, the PC still worked fine after that. Literally there were open flames inside the case, and yet everything still worked. Cleaned up the soot inside, and used that PC for another couple years. Crazy.
KorovaMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
sobek
Veteran

Reputation power: 186
sobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud of

The bottom line is, don't cheap out on the PSU. If it fails catastrophically, it can take the intire PC with it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by sobek; 10-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
BitMaster
Veteran

Reputation power: 17
BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
The bottom line is, don't cheap out on the PSU. If it fails catastrophically, it can take the intire PC with it in a heartbeat.
+1 !

I used to fix PC's for a living and still do it for friends and family, next door people and alike.

Over those many years I have seen numerous cheap PSU's taking the whole PC with them into the grave.

Dont try to cut corners when you buy a PSU, it can serve you well for 2-3 PC's life if you buy the right one and keep your computer clean inside. Dust is one source for overheating, popped caps and little shorts across dust crumps, seen that all and took my lessons.

If you live in an area where power is not "clean" and outages come every now and then, thunderstorms and alike, then get a good UPS with a sinus wave kind of current, not the cheap rectangular versions for little money, they wont serve you well and harm your parts over time.
APC is usually my choice for aftermarket UPS devices ( Smart-UPS ).
Asus Prime-Z270-A - Intel i7-7700K @ 5.0/1.330v adaptive LLC6 Phase_140%-Extreme - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 XMP 3600 CL16 vDimm VCCIO 1.30v VSA 1.35v - Asus 980GTX Poseidon wc @ 1500/8000 - 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 1 x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 2 x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT @ 4 x 180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Win10Pro64 - Corsair Carbide 500r Case 5x120mm 1x200mm fans
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
Dudikoff

Reputation power: 31
Dudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_sez View Post
Did some reading and seems cosair power supplys are known for killin gear so ya all keep that in mind when you make the next purchase..
Mind posting the actual models involved? I would suppose it was the VS-series or perhaps even CX?

Corsair doesn't make its own PSU's and the quality varies greatly between the different series.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote