Smoke marking question

sgilewicz

Does marking targets with smoke in SP for wingmen provide any extra accuracy on target versus broadcasting the SPI? I'm running a Maple Flag TTQ mission and the briefing recommends using WP rockets to mark targets for my wingmen. It seems to be an extra step without purpose. Thanks for your observations.

Radial Madness

AI doesn't care one whit about any kind of target marking. However, with a bit of scripting, it's possible to set up a mission where the AI simply doesn't see (and thus cannot attack) some targets unless they're marked by the player.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Like Tippis said, it's certainly possible to use scripting and/or triggers in order to adjust the AI so the smoke marking actually changes their behavior.

But even if it was purely about immersion, it's still good practice. In MP, you might be asked by other flights or by JTACs to mark a target with smoke, and then you won't have to think about the proper procedures, switchology, or the range of the smoke rockets. :thumbup:

I don't think there's any predefined command for it, so unless the mission introduces a new F10 (Other) command, it's the same as always, for instance "Engage... Armor... with Maverick... from the South" or similar.