Virpil Throttle afterburner detents (3D printed)

SneakyBastd

Hi all. The STL files for these detents are now available at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydxnb69sqcbt2bd/Detent.zip?dl=0

This is for the most recent version of the throttle (the one with the analog ministick).

I don't know if this will fit earlier versions of this throttle. The shafts may have changed size, and the grips probably have. I'll look into that in future.

The detents are completely removeable in just a few seconds (undo 4 screws) and require no modification of your throttle.

Basic instructions are included in the zip. You will need to drill two holes per detent (into the 3d prints only), and do some sanding. You will also need some small springs from your local hardware store, or rubber bands.

Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for any damage this causes you or your hardware, blah blah.

This is still an early version, not fully refined. I won't be able to work on it for a couple of weeks but will refine it when I get time. However it works well for me and hopefully you too. :)

Some images: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGuqq9o

Newly added pic of the spring I used with dimensions:

Spring

Enjoy,

SneakyBastd.

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

I have the second version of the throttle and the third is on order. It had been my hope that someone would come up with something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Fantastic

I ordered the new Virpil Throttle and this addition is a must :-)

i7-8700K / 32GB RAM @3000 / 1TB M.2 SSD / Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC

VR- Gamer: Valve Index

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm going to ask a probably stupid question here. I don't have a 3d printer and will have to most likely use Shapeways. Am I to assume each of the mainframe parts need to be printed twice?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the whole kit from Shapeways. I have the new throttle on order (pending the F-14 grip release), which I should be getting next month.

I currently have the version 2 throttle (with 5-way hats). I'll test this out on that throttle and let you know how it works out. Shapeways is stating an estimated ship date of October 16th, but in my experience they always come in under that.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Just got the shipping notice from Shapeways.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

As it turns out I’m supposed to get my T-50CM on either Friday or Monday.

But I’ll be at the beach. So probably no testing until late next week.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Got home and local stores don’t have springs small enough. Can you tell me what size springs you used?

Thanks!

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Just got back from a couple weeks OS. I might make some improvements in a week or two.

RogueSqdn: I uploaded a photo with dimensions. It was just part of a bunch of springs I have lying around. Sorry, don't know if it has a part number or anything like that.

Spring

JdubinKC: I'm glad it worked for you! Did you find suitable springs, or use something else? If you can put up a pic that would be great. :)

Thanks, that helps. I ordered a box with a lots of different sizes from Amazon, and also some 1/4 inch orthodontic rubber bands (maybe too small, I don’t know).

Hopefully between that I find something that works.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Ok, I've got it working. the kit I ordered had multiple sizes of springs, and what I found worked was a 13/64" x 13/16" extension spring on each lift. It didn't have quite enough tension, though, so I combined it with a 3/16" orthodontic rubber band twisted around the posts twice (I had to do that with needle nose pliers).

Any plans on adding in a idle/off detent capability to this mod?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Hi. Glad you got a working solution! :)

I do plan to add a rear detent for engine idle start/off, but it's purely concepts in my head atm.

I'm too busy over the next few weeks to do anything more on it for now. But it would be pretty cool to have, so I'll get to it when I can.

Just curious, if one adds an afterburner and idle/off detent to this throttle, is there much room left for throttle axis movement? It does not appear to have a very long throw to start with.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Throttle travel is something I'm very conscious of. The current detent design most likely will NOT work well for idle/shutdown. I need something new there.

You have to lose some travel though, because my current plan is:

1. Button 1 fire at full stop travel action. (For shutdown)

2. Button 2 fire at 2-3% travel action. (For crank)

3. Have some detent block travel at about 4% throw, liftable to enable shutdown.

The current detent is only a few mm thick, but it prevents a lot more travel than that due to the geometry. That's ok for afterburners - we still have 5 zones we can choose from so we need some motion of travel there.

But from idle to shutdown, the movement should be quite small to preserve travel throw. No more than a few millimeters. So I need some clever new way to stop rear travel at just a few percent from full stop, but allow full travel for shutdown when lifted, or something. Hope that makes sense.