I need advice about throttle hardware

hideki2

Hello everyone! Well right to the chase: I'm thinking about buying an Throttle quadrant from Saitek and using it as Huey collective. My idea is using Throttle quadrant turned sort of backwards so its more like an actual collective. Does any one think its a good idea? Any better suggestions?:helpsmilie:

Cheers Pilots!

Ps. Another idea could be Clubsport Handbrake from Fanatec. What do you think?

Edited by hideki2
New idea.

My one, and only, fairly short experience with a Saitek throttle quadrant tells me no. The reason being that the potentiometers used in the unit were too jittery to be used anywhere reasonably fine control is desired.

I will admit that my unit may have been an exception but it was enough of an issue to cause me to return it. I purchased a CH throttle quadrant and found it to be much better.

That being said, I can see how it could work somewhat well, depending on how it was mounted relative to your seat.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

... potentiometers used in the unit were too jittery to be used anywhere reasonably fine control is desired.

That's exactly why I decided to write here because I found some cheap unit on Ebay, but also heard that Saitek tends to be dodgy.

cichlidfan Have you got my private message? Because it looks like it haven't been send.

Yep. Replied already.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That handbrake might do the job rather nicely, depending on how much travel it has. It says realistic but that really doesn't tell me much. Somewhere around here I remember seeing a discussion about the Huey collective travel but I don't recall where.

Well, I have some experience with Fanatec, and it is pro level racing gear. Especially club sport series. And as far as I know Fanatec there is probably hal sensor in stead of pot. So I'm sure that it's precise as hell. One would have to replace spring with for example shock absorber. That should feel pretty good I guess.

the Huey requires Damn good Precision,teh Saitek Quadrant might be good as it has a longer spacing,However I do not know how Precise it really is,but for 55$ for a 3 throttle and 6 button Device, that isnt that bad.

Just know that the Huey needs Presision, being able to go from 78% throttle to 72% smoothly can mean the diffrence of going in or out of a VRS or snapping the blades off.

Well, I have some experience with Fanatec, and it is pro level racing gear. Especially club sport series. And as far as I know Fanatec there is probably hal sensor in stead of pot. So I'm sure that it's precise as hell. One would have to replace spring with for example shock absorber. That should feel pretty good I guess.

What is going to be most important, since quality sounds like a given, is how far the lever travels. Regardless of how accurate it is, if the total travel is not large enough to allow for fine control resolution, then you still don't have anything useful.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone! Well right to the chase: I'm thinking about buying an Throttle quadrant from Saitek and using it as Huey collective. My idea is using Throttle quadrant turned sort of backwards so its more like an actual collective. Does any one think its a good idea? Any better suggestions?:helpsmilie:

Cheers Pilots!

Ps. Another idea could be Clubsport Handbrake from Fanatec. What do you think?

hideki2

I've been using one for about a year and a half now. It works great for me. As far as fine control, I just adjusted the user curve to give me fine control between 25-35% on the torque gauge.

P1010308.thumb.JPG.40a18f992d35285d4e664cfc36db1f93.JPG

• Like 1

hideki2

I've been using one for about a year and a half now. It works great for me. As far as fine control, I just adjusted the user curve to give me fine control between 25-35% on the torque gauge.

[ATTACH]107040[/ATTACH]

Thats just Wow:thumbup:

Hideki2 - i did try that method of using the Saitek throttle quadrant, but found that it was flimsy with lateral movement, also you need to find a good method of attaching a collective "lever" or "arm" , but it is a bit awkward to achieve, i sourced a piece of very light aluminum pipe from a scooter goose neck and that seemed to work, i didnt really like though, because its hard to achieve friction to keep the Collective in a postion you want to set it at. Anyway so i got hold of an old Saitek X52 throttle and converted that, and it is great. The "throw" is good and i can make very fine adjustments in flight and hold them, its great for the Huey and the MI-8 - To make the X52 throttle is very simple and you dont need to open the throttle of break anything, let me know and i can help you. Heres some pics:

100_1618_zps8e731427.jpg

100_1635_zpse48da1cb.jpg

Heres a quick "soldiers 5" how to make it: get some "Two Pack Epoxy Putty"

101_1628_zps7888a80d.jpg

For the collective i used 40mm Polypipe (irrigation pipe)

101_1627_zps4e5a2071.jpg

Two Flat headed bolts - long enough to pass through the poly pipe and embed into the saitex X52 handle.

101_1625_zps98b064b0.jpg

After epoxy has set attach the poly pipe and your ready to fly. One thing to remember is the X52 works better when reversed when used as a collective, also i have mine with the base sitting on an angle of aprox 20 degrees, as in the picture second from the top.

101_1630_zps6503ba5e.jpg

101_1629_zpsd6ff3d67.jpg

Edited by Strut
  • Like 1

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Thanks for great reply, thats exactly kind of moding I like, are you using full range of x 52? how about curves? I preffer to have everything on flat.

I use the full range of the axis with no curves, i have mine set on slider with about 80% saturation on the Y axis, and about a 4 dead zone. It seems pretty optimal for me at the moment .:thumbup:

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

• 4 weeks later...

Hey hideki,

Just come across this thread. Not sure if it is still alive.

Funny, I've been using a Saitek Throttle Quadrant just as you described. it works beautifully. Can comfortably titrate collective movements to effect subtle changes in altitude, making targeted hovering the Huey fun at last.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 4 months later...
That's exactly why I decided to write here because I found some cheap unit on Ebay, but also heard that Saitek tends to be dodgy.

I can get very exact collective inputs on my x-52 throttle using this extremely easy & cheap solution: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1976831&postcount=1 :thumbup:

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 5 years later...