Reinstall and protection problem

Given that I'm going to have to re-install windoze (WinRot caught up to me, and if I'm going through the brain damage of a re-install I burn down the whole drive) I'm hitting the trash button on all the DRM controlled modules. Every time I do that DCS needs to re-start, and...let's be blunt, on the list of applications that start quickly DCS is nowhere to be found.

Then I have to argue with DCS and the DRM software over whether or not I'm going to re-install these modules on every restart. 14 modules with DRM, not counting Hawk, but that's a different rant...

I have visions of being told I don't have any more activations when this is done and I get back from Europe in a couple weeks...I have installed everything on two machines (one dedicated server, one I use).

Or worse, someone tells me there's an easy way... :lol:

Are you referring to the Starforce DRM modules?

If you use VR first change to non VR as the dialogue boxes end up behind the DCS screen and you can't see them.

There is a process to go through unfortunately it has to be done in DCS. If your OS is trashed this might not be possible. :(

For each module that has "DRM" click on the "DRM" for that module and a dialogue box appears, on that dialogue box is blue writing that says,..

"Activate or Deactivate Module" as a hyperliknk. Click on that and yet another dialogue box will pop up.

On this one you are offered to either "Activate or Deactivate" when you click Deactivate DCS will attempt a deactivation transaction with the Starforce server.

You need to follow this procedure for each DRM module.

Log onto your ED account and confirm the status of your modules it should indicate that they are deactivated and will also tell you how many activation's have been used.

Re-activating is also a long winded process.

I find it helpful to have a browser window open and be logged onto your ED account so you can copy and paste the serial numbers in to the field during the activation process.

For each module that is DRM protected click on the "DRM" for that module this brings up a dialogue box click look for the hypertext link "Activate of Deactivate" click on that and follow the prompt, copy your serial number for that module from the ED page and paste it into the field.

Rinse and repeat for each DRM module!

I was under the impression that you didn't need activation's on a server? Not sure. Maybe look at the new server version?

Also be aware if you change or add HDD's or change the memory configuration or CPU whilst you have DRM-ed modules active that will accumulate points against an activation!

This is not a good thing if you also use you computer as a test bed for testing hardware as you do not get any warning that it's happening.

If your problem is outside of this raise a ticket and work through the problem with ED ASAP!

Hopefully all modules will be bought across to the new user locked version of copy protection soon.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I managed to get through it. If this is the worst thing that happens to me this month it's a pretty darn good month. Burning down the C drive and re-installing everything will be much more painful, but I have a plan to make everything easier next time and it probably won't happen until June.

DCS (and other software that shall not be named) lives on the D drive, but I didn't know where DRM keeps its records and decided to play it safe.

The DRM stuff keeps it's records on the Starforce server with "keys" on the you local drive.

Good luck, I am getting used to reinstalling Windows once again, I had a break with Mac for a while and due to hardware costs and the general direction apple are going in I have come back to windows.

:thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an quick update; I got bored doing something else and removed all of the modules...terrains, campaigns, everything. Forty some-odd; however many there are. Rebuild my C drive (more accurately replaced it with a new device so I still have a path of retreat) and DCS was borken. Apparently they tuck DLLs into the system path.

So, re-installing from scratch. Not a big deal, but glad I dumped all the mods. Might not be a problem with their new DRM, but better safe than frustrated.

Just an quick update; I got bored doing something else and removed all of the modules...terrains, campaigns, everything. Forty some-odd; however many there are. Rebuild my C drive (more accurately replaced it with a new device so I still have a path of retreat) and DCS was borken. Apparently they tuck DLLs into the system path.

So, re-installing from scratch. Not a big deal, but glad I dumped all the mods. Might not be a problem with their new DRM, but better safe than frustrated.

I'm re-installing at the moment, after a SSD/HDD double failure.

New C and D drive. All progs wiped out.

New win 10 O/S install.

D/L DCS (33 gb). Install automatically to "C".

D/L modules and activate in turn on the install page.

All very straight forward. :).

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I'm re-installing at the moment, after a SSD/HDD double failure.

New C and D drive. All progs wiped out.

New win 10 O/S install.

D/L DCS (33 gb). Install automatically to "C".

D/L modules and activate in turn on the install page.

All very straight forward. :).

Yes it is...even the 70 or 80 GB of modules for 100GB+ of downloads. I need to be more careful when customers want to download 400GB over FTP since I'm doing nearly that from home...

This all ignores the awe-inspiring nature of developing over 100 GB of compressed content for a game. Someone has put a lot of work into this.