Instructions for snap views

JCook

Years ago when the A10C was a standalone aircraft (pre-DCS World), I had my aircraft cockpit views setup in a custom configuration. I think these were called snap views.

I'm looking for any links that describe how to set these up. Anyone have links to the snap view setups?

For example, I want to have close-up views configured for the following:

Left console forward

Left console back

Right console forward

Right console back

Left MFCD

Right MFCD

Customising a Snap View:

1. Set your current view up as you want it saved.

2. Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.

3. Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

Important: Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing it !

Keys to use when setting up the view:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Best regards

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

. . . . . . .

Okay, I've tried those controls. They work good. I seem to remember in the past I had it set up as a one button push to get a snap view, instead of having to hold the L-WIN button at the same time as the NUMn button.

Also, the custom view stayed, until I hit another key, I think the Num0.

I may have had to edit a file to get that configuration working. Does any of that sound familiar?

JCook said:

...I seem to remember in the past I had it set up as a one button push to get a snap view, instead of having to hold the L-WIN button at the same time as the NUMn button.

Yes, RCtrl+Num0 changes snap views to "toggle" mode. Num1 .. Num9 (with no modifiers) will switch view to the corresponding snap view, and stay there until the user selects a different snap view, or taps Num0.

HOWEVER, this doesnt work if you use headtracking 😞

Fortunately for me, my particular HOTAS allows me to bind several key commands to a single button, so I can on a single press disable the headtracking and then change to the snapview ... another press and then I exit the snapview and re-enable the headtracking.

On this video you can see how it works:

EDIT: Found a Tutorial by Suntsag, where he shows how to configure the snapviews:

🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Don't you have to adjust the View.lua file Line Usedefaultsnapviews to False?

That way you can Customise your snap views. Not sure really.

Not any more, nowadays you can select that on Options -> Misc -> User Snap-view Saving

• 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone can help, but for the last 6 days I have been trying to set up snap views. After a succession of frustrating failures, I have just realized that the only key which will accept the mapping is Num5. The significance appearing to be that it is the only non dynamic function.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so, is there a workaround for it.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated

... I have just realized that the only key which will accept the mapping is Num5. The significance appearing to be that it is the only non dynamic function.

I dont understand what you mean by non dynamic ... also, you dont describe exactly how are you trying to set up the snap views .. on the post https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3572939&postcount=2 I described what the procedure is .. do you manage to do all the steps? if not, on which step you start having trouble?

Sorry if I was unclear.

By dynamic views, I mean that 1 to 9, less Num5 all provide a moving view, e.g.num1 pan down and rotate left, num2, pan up etc, etc. whereas Num5 switches current view to a fixed view forward no movement. (an existing snap view but not one I want, as I have similar option in Trackir).

As far as the means of customizing, I am using the method described in EDwiki.ru, and as defined in this forum amd Reddit, basically set up required view, Identify which view to customize using L Win+numN N being the key chosen. Press RAlt_nun0 then to use, select view using LWin+numN.

Whilst this is being done, Trackir is disabled/off.

Before beginning.

DCS world/Config/Views/views UseDefailtSnapViews=true canged to false,

Options/ Misc/ allow save snap views selected,

Esc/all/ option save cockpit angles confirmed as LAlt+O.

Every time I attempt to customize snap views, I am able to fix a Snap view to num5 , but all other keys retain their default function.

When, as required to select a specific key, by pressing LWin and numN the process description states that the view will switch briefly before returning to the chosen view, this does not happen, the view changes and stays that way.

I hope that this provides clarity.

Edited by Todd Down

DCS world/Config/Views/views UseDefailtSnapViews=true canged to false

That parameter should be TRUE :)

I will try as you say, but below is an extract from Eagle Dynamics ru wiki instruction

If this is incorrect, perhaps this is why so many are having trouble with snap views.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1588647&postcount=17)!

By default, in DCS A-10C, DCS Black Shark 2 and DCS World, customisation of snap views is disabled. To enable it you must alter one line in one of the LUA files, as follows: In the DCS A-10C or DCS Black Shark 2 installation folder, then folder config, then folder view, find file View.lua Look for the line (about 50 lines down): UseDefaultSnapViews = true and change it to UseDefaultSnapViews = false Next time you start the simulation, snap-view customisation will be possible.

I will try as you say, but below is an extract from Eagle Dynamics ru wiki instruction

If this is incorrect, perhaps this is why so many are having trouble with snap views.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1588647&postcount=17)!

By default, in DCS A-10C, DCS Black Shark 2 and DCS World, customisation of snap views is disabled. To enable it you must alter one line in one of the LUA files, as follows: In the DCS A-10C or DCS Black Shark 2 installation folder, then folder config, then folder view, find file View.lua Look for the line (about 50 lines down): UseDefaultSnapViews = true and change it to UseDefaultSnapViews = false Next time you start the simulation, snap-view customisation will be possible.

That is not needed anymore and should be updated.

They added the option to the miscellaneous options menu.

Make sure it's ticked, tick by default I think.

attachment.php?attachmentid=219883&stc=1&d=1571986161

Then follow 2nd post.

Customising a Snap View:

1. Set your current view up as you want it saved.

2. Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.

3. Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

Important: Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing it !

Keys to use when setting up the view:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Best regards

User_Snap_View.thumb.jpg.ddc3bbc06c25097203db5abd15b8e118.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The fact that the info is from 7 years ago, plus that it doesn’t work, should be a clue that the info is obsolete or applies to a very old version of DCS :)

Having tried all that I could get, by way of attempting to customize my snap views, I finally ended up such that on opening my A10c Module, my view is vertically down, with very little control function to lift to a normal forward view. I had previously set up my F1 key in Trackir to provide my centred view, and hey,this no longer works. Finally, in frustration I uninstalled DCS world and DCS World (Open Beta) completely and have just spent the last 2 days reloading everything, and, guess what, when I opened my A10c, the view is still that of my ejector seat pan.............. Why is DCS so good in what it promises and so poor at delivering on those promises. I had thought that by completely uninstalling and re installing both DCS Worlds (normal and open beta) that this would provide a default "fresh start" but no, Just Sierra Squared Delta Squared. I just start to wonder if I need this crap any time I want to fly a module in the sim.

... Finally, in frustration I uninstalled DCS world and DCS World (Open Beta) completely and have just spent the last 2 days reloading everything

I feel your pain and I agree that DCS really needs better installation & setup instructions. Nowadays, one learns the corks of DCS mostly trough experience, experience that soon teaches us that DCS is a game that actually DOES NOT need the whole uninstall/reinstall dance that MS Windows and some games have so ingrained on our minds as the end-all-solution to every problem.

The repair tool of DCS does exactly what a uninstall/reinstall does, tough much faster as it doesnt download the whole game, only those parts that are needed (usually files that user mods have modified) .. pity that the instructions for such tool are fairly hidden deep inside this Forum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

... and, guess what, when I opened my A10c, the view is still that of my ejector seat pan...... I had thought that by completely uninstalling and re installing both DCS Worlds (normal and open beta) that this would provide a default "fresh start" but no, Just Sierra Squared Delta Squared.

DCS on your hard drive is divided in two parts:

1) The simulator itself is at /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/

2) Your settings, preferences, user created missions, the Logbook, etc, are stored at /Saved Games/DCS/

So, when you did the uninstall/reinstall you actually only touched the 1st part ... so, if your problem is caused by a faulty configuration of your views, it wont be corrected by the reinstall of the Sim.

What you actually need to do, is to rename the settings folder, say rename it to /Saved Games/DCS.bak/ ... this way, the next time you start DCS it will re-create a default settings folder at /User Games/DCS/ and most likely this will fix the issue you had.

On your previous settings folder there are items you might not want to lose, like your control bindings or your logbook, thats why we renamed the folder rather than deleting, as this allows you to recover items from the old settings, as needed.

I just start to wonder if I need this crap any time I want to fly a module in the sim.

Well, I hope you are not so easily discouraged .. I opted to embrace the Sim and try to learn all its nuances, as it really is so much better than any other Sim I've tried.

Best regards

Having tried all that I could get, by way of attempting to customize my snap views, I finally ended up such that on opening my A10c Module, my view is vertically down, with very little control function to lift to a normal forward view. I had previously set up my F1 key in Trackir to provide my centred view, and hey,this no longer works. Finally, in frustration I uninstalled DCS world and DCS World (Open Beta) completely and have just spent the last 2 days reloading everything, and, guess what, when I opened my A10c, the view is still that of my ejector seat pan.............. Why is DCS so good in what it promises and so poor at delivering on those promises. I had thought that by completely uninstalling and re installing both DCS Worlds (normal and open beta) that this would provide a default "fresh start" but no, Just Sierra Squared Delta Squared. I just start to wonder if I need this crap any time I want to fly a module in the sim.

Stick with Todd Down and post any problems, many here to help you through it.

All the sim's have there quirks in setup, there is a little learning curve. DCS is much easier to quickly setup once you know a few little things.

This is the file you should backup, it where all the settings are saved.

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Saved Games\DCS --> or DCS.beta etc

You can even copy the full install to an external drive and copy it back to a new pc and copy this saved games file back, once DCS rebuild one on first launch etc.

Fresh install is renaming the Saved Games\DCS folder to OLD.DCS etc. This will full reset the user options. You can then copy back you joystick files from this old one.

Repair and clean.

All I do at the moment is double click these two .bat files found at the bottom of the support page. HERE

You place them in you DCS install.

DCS_updater_cleanup.bat

DCS_updater_repair.bat

attachment.php?attachmentid=219989&stc=1&d=1572138301

I've also added the save Game area to the quick access side bar in windows.

Just drag the saved games file over to it.

The directory of the DCS save games folder is the same folder structure as

the main install location. DCS looks in YOUR folder first, if there or changed it

will use YOUR files and options.

attachment.php?attachmentid=219990&stc=1&d=1572138727

DCS_Repair.bat_file.thumb.jpg.5fc5e53fdbdfb7c86dee7e76a15cc4c3.jpg

DCS_snap_View_file.thumb.jpg.e246d46edeaa14542757436ef8d6f386.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Ahhh, I see a light in the tunnel!

Thank you for your support and patience.

Just to recap, I should not amend the file view.lua, UseDefaultSnapViews from true to false, this function is now covered by the Option/Misc. Option Allow user views saving.

I have a printout of the the process and keys to use and am comfortable with them, but for what ever reason, the config file in saved games did not appear to update and so I was going around chasing my fundamental orifice (I'm not stupid or lazy, just getting old). And I should be able to avoid a repeat performance.

Again, many thanks

TD

I am seeing some progress, but am finding that as soon as I set up a snap view, TrackIR is disabled. I have seen conflicting statements stating that TrackIR should be off or disabled when creating snap views and conversely, TrackIR need not be disabled. Either way, I am finding that If I set up a snap view, Trackir performance is either:

a. non functioning, or b. Functioning, but with very limited arcs of vision, any advice or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

TD

Edited by Todd Down