Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Flew the Mig15 today on the Search and Destroy mission, and figured out pretty quickly that the EWR’s were not keeping me updated, even from the newly deployed ones. The first call at start was sent out but I never got a call back.

I did exactly the same on the Open range mission and were getting EWR callouts periodically.

Is there a way to request EWR updates in the air when flying the Mig15?

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flew the Mig15 today on the Search and Destroy mission, and figured out pretty quickly that the EWR’s were not keeping me updated, even from the newly deployed ones. The first call at start was sent out but I never got a call back.

I did exactly the same on the Open range mission and were getting EWR callouts periodically.

Is there a way to request EWR updates in the air when flying the Mig15?

The deployed EWR's work for all aircraft except for the MiG-15. Due to the MiG-15's old radio system a separate EWR is there from the beginning operating at 4.95 MHz in all missions. The MiG-15's are tuned to 4.95 MHz by default so you don't have to do anything. On the radio menu contact the EWR's and figure out for yourself which one is yours. Naming the EWR's accordingly would stop them from working so there's no other way sadly. A mission editor thing.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Thanks for the Mig15 feedback.

Not sure how this is going to be solved but we have aviators on both sides that love shooting down their own. Had a good look on the replay/s and it is scary.

Screens from the Search & Destroy mission:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was that 29, that 21 really wanted me dead :D

Think we lost another 29 to friendly fire as well last night.

Managed to get a screen of the guy chasing you, he fired all 4 missiles and missed, then started gunning.

The other screen is the missile that got the other 29’n.

This is truly pathetic. I got team killed twice in a row on the syrian mission just because I was flying a SU25T.

Is there perhaps a script that could ban a player for let's say 30min for team killing? Maybe using some kind of ServMan automatic kick script? ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=102823 )

Edited by NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Managed to get a screen of the guy chasing you, he fired all 4 missiles and missed, then started gunning.

The other screen is the missile that got the other 29’n.

This is truly pathetic. I got team killed twice in a row on the syrian mission just because I was flying a SU25T.

Is there perhaps a script that could ban a player for let's say 30min for team killing? Maybe using some kind of ServMan automatic kick script? ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=102823 )

This script is very old. Not sure if it still works. I'd hate it to mess up things.

Friendly fire is real as we all know. Some players over the last years were obviously shooting friendlies only and deliberately. They were banned! Other sporadic teamkills by probably and seemingly a mistake is, again, realistic. However, very very annoying nonetheless.

I'd rather handle that manually if I spot someone doing so and I do that 3-5 times a month. But they're mostly kicked and not banned.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

hey alpen, is that normal that on behind ennemy lines we can't drop armored vehicules with the helis and why the red only got t55 in defense of the airfield and the blue got challenger II ?

The coalitions should deal with whatever forces they have at hand. The exception being AA units and artillery.

Hatay doesn't have many ground units. Red is attacking with a bigger force.

Minakh doesn't have many ground units either. Blue is attacking with a bigger force.

So it comes down to the skills of the CAS pilots to support their ground units where ever needed.

I'm trying to get away from deploying tanks and other types of vehicles so I decided to start doing so (at least partially) in the mission Behind Enemy Lines.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Had some very intense tank battles on Behind Enemy Lines yesterday! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Server News:

* Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is offline.

* Instead, operation Sneaky Bastards is finally back online after fixing and redesigning most parts:

- The mission One Night in Arabia was mostly won by Blue. Operation Sneaky Bastards is its sequel.

- Therefore, Blue will be operating from Kish Island mainly after capturing and holding the airbase in One Night in Arabia.

- The first 3 hours of the mission will be at night/dawn. Moonlight included.

- The last 2 hours of the mission will be in the early morning hours, in case no coalition wins the battle any time earlier.

- The mission will go online tonight.

- Here's the briefing one more time.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

In behind enemy lines, except the capture triggers, why not have the IR SAMs be spawned from the beginning, kinda weird when you are holding the objective and all of a sudden they spawn there.

Is the B-52 invisible on the map on purpose ?

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

In behind enemy lines, except the capture triggers, why not have the IR SAMs be spawned from the beginning, kinda weird when you are holding the objective and all of a sudden they spawn there.

Is the B-52 invisible on the map on purpose ?

I think you're talking about operation Sneaky Bastards that we just played at night. The IR SAM's shouldn't be working at night as it is with those old vehicles with friendly and enemy airplanes flying all over the place. So once the sun's up they become operational.

The triggers are fixed now.

Blue won it.

... and everyone on comms (TS and SRS) killed me for the night mission. No more they say or else. I'm afraid I'll have to take it out :cry:

The B-52's are supposed to remain hidden, because in operation Open Range there are also B-52's approaching mount Elbrus at some point and some players used to go on the enemy's side to check out where they are and then back to their planes. Also, there was a bug in cmdr (maybe still) where you can through the cmdr slot move units around, including the B-52's, although you shouldn't as determined in the mission editor. It's done by some cheat using some key combination. So they would send the B-52's somewhere else.

It's a tedious and a never ending issue with designing a mission as buggers-proof as possible. Trying my best to counter that but it's not always the best idea I come up with doing so. That's why it's never ending...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

:disgust:

Maybe take out wind and clouds as well, because it might be too annoying for some players to deal with.

Yeah, and add F10 symbols for ownship and maybe even friendlies, because it is really annoying having to navigate and keep SA on friendlies!

Honestly, I was really stoked to see a night mission on a public multiplayer server! Unfortunately I wasn't able to play it yesterday due to RL :(

I really wish there would be more variety in regards to weather and daytime, so please keep the night! It requires different tactics (e.g. more radar usage) than daytime flying, which is a nice change! People need to learn to adapt!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think you're talking about operation Sneaky Bastards that we just played at night. The IR SAM's shouldn't be working at night as it is with those old vehicles with friendly and enemy airplanes flying all over the place. So once the sun's up they become operational.

Ye, that's the mission :D

Do the SA-13s even engage at night ? You can have them spawned, but with a deactivated AI and the triggers activates it, instead of spawning them.... or late activation, but make em visible before activation

Whiners are always gonna whine and not be happy, until the game is dead, so I wouldn't bother bout them

Pushing trough desert fields was cool, Tiger team-killing the T-72s will remain a favorite moment for me for quite a while

'Shadow'

Once the sun began coming up and DCS switched from "it's night" to "it's day", lighting engine wise, the little moonlight glints vanished. I like Sneaky Bastards as a mission, but unfortunately ED's bungled moonlight implementation (do they go outside after dark?) kind of ruins it because you can spot any air or ground unit from insane distances, but as soon as you get close, they vanish into the darkness again. Make it any brigher, and you still have that glint plus sufficient ambient lighting to see them in close - goodbye helicopters. Take the moon out, and you can't see anything, and people will probably complain about not being able to navigate because they don't know how to do IFR, or they'll complain they have to fly high and suddenly they're visible on radar, etc.

Flying the Mi-8 was actually a ton of fun, I wish I'd jumped straight into that instead of flailing around trying to fight when I couldn't see anything and had to fight the current ARU bug on top of that. My suggestion would be to take the moon out altogether, honestly, so there's a lot more emphasis on the helicopter side of things and the fighters can't molest them so easily. You could then give the fighers some fixed ground objectives (well, on top of the secondary airbases and FARPs, anyway) to keep them happy, IMO. If people begin flying higher and using their radar, and especially with GCI, night combat can be very enjoyable even in pitch dark. It just relies on people abandoning the Daylight Combat Simulator metagame of hugging the ground.

Again, I love the mission, I hate how ED can never get spotting right :doh:'

The B-52's are supposed to remain hidden, because in operation Open Range there are also B-52's approaching mount Elbrus at some point and some players used to go on the enemy's side to check out where they are and then back to their planes. Also, there was a bug in cmdr (maybe still) where you can through the cmdr slot move units around, including the B-52's, although you shouldn't as determined in the mission editor. It's done by some cheat using some key combination. So they would send the B-52's somewhere else.

It's a tedious and a never ending issue with designing a mission as buggers-proof as possible. Trying my best to counter that but it's not always the best idea I come up with doing so. That's why it's never ending...

Seriously? I know a lot of people have some very stupid opinions about radar use, but that's just ridiculous. You have AI AWACS/EWR directing you onto them, they're at the perfect operating height for all the old radar sets we have, and they're visibly contrailing. Even failing all that... you know where they're going! Just fly a standing patrol and wait for them. Jesus, it's unreal how lazy some people can be.

Edited by rossmum

If people begin flying higher and using their radar, and especially with GCI, night combat can be very enjoyable even in pitch dark. It just relies on people abandoning the Daylight Combat Simulator metagame of hugging the ground.

This is exactly the kind of gameplay variety I was talking about in my previous comment! Night missions require different tactics and hence offer different gameplay, which is great for variety if there are one or two night missions in the mix! Unfortunately not many public servers offer that, so it would be a real bummer if you would take that out of the mix @Alpenwolf.

People just need to learn to adapt instead of trying to follow the same methods and procedures they're used to from daylight flying...

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

I did some poking around (which is to say, checking parts of the forums other than this thread and the MiG-19 and 21 subforums, lol) and found a bug report for the moonlight glints. Seems it's unintentional and ED have been aware of it since April. Hopefully that means a fix on the way, though I'm not holding my breath.

Best bet for a temporary fix is just shifting the mission to be a moonless night, I think.

There's a lot of "if" scenarios above this post. Unfortunately, if you build a mission around those assumptions, you mostly get disappointed and all the hard work you put in that particular mission is gone astray. I know that from one or two of the very first missions I designed years ago.

The first mission at night was One Night in Arabia. Over 40 players were online in the mission before that one. Only minutes into the dark and the server dropped down from 40+ players to 10 max. No offense, but I really don't care about the numbers and I don't mind anyone leaving. A number of posts were found here as well in that regard. Some days after that and after I insisted on keeping the mission going online almost every night, many of the same people who complained started to actually like it. And we'd have 10-20 players max. So it wasn't crowded, which is even better. Those who showed up seemed to be dedicated and willing to challenge themselves. I like that. That's the attitude of players (people in general actually) I appreciate the most.

Not sure what happened yesterday, but the impression I had was immense. I pondered a bit and came to the conclusion that maybe I should change a thing or two. And by "taking the mission out" I actually meant changing mainly the time and the weather, but I didn't elaborate on that. My bad.

Reading through the posts above kinda changed my mind yet again.

The moonlight is really an issue. It really ruins it. But without the moon it simply becomes too much. I tested that against AI F-5's and it was no issue because the AI wouldn't mind using afterburners. A player however, would remain in full military to refrain from exposing himself which is understandable.

I'll give the mission another shot or two. We'll see how that goes next time.

The 24J missile is being added to the missions. I said that many times. It's like I push a button and magically they are added. So be patient, please.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I'll give the mission another shot or two. We'll see how that goes next time.

Thanks, looking forward to that! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Server News:

- The AWACS planes have been removed from all missions.

- Instead, all missions have EWR's. In most missions more EWR units can be deployed.

- The RB-24J missiles have been added to all missions.

- Multiple bugs in operation Sneaky Bastards have been fixed. IR SAM's available from start but operational only after sunrise.

- Minor trigger changes in all missions including the waypoints of some airplanes.

- The new mission is still undergoing some testing. And again, it will include new features and changes like in no other mission on the server before.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- Multiple bugs in operation Sneaky Bastards have been fixed. IR SAM's available from start but operational only after sunrise.

Wohoo, to be honest I wasn't there from the start and I was playing with ground units, but at least from the ground unit's perspective the night environment was pretty cool and it was not pitch black, was pretty cool to use NVGs and Thermals, yet you could still see without them

'Shadow'

IMHO moving the start of Sneaky Bastards to early dawn would make the most sense.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U