[Re-Poll] MiG-29A as a free airplane for DCS:W

TheFurNinja

[Re-Poll] MiG-29A as a free airplane for DCS:W  

183 members have voted

1. 1. [Re-Poll] MiG-29A as a free airplane for DCS:W

• The MiG-29A should be free ASAP.
    • The MiG-29A should be free when it is finished.
    • The MiG-29A should be sold for reduced price.
    • The MiG-29G should be free/reduced instead.
    • All of the MiG-29s should be sold for normal FC3 module price.

[DISCLAIMER: This is not a demand, this is simply an idea of mine to make use of a "underdog" aircraft and provide a more varied playerbase to DCS.]

So, with the upcoming PFM and new 3d model for the MiG-29: It is progressively getting closer to a finished aircraft.

This brought me to an idea. After the MiG-29 is finished and all, why not use the MiG-29A (and specifically the A model) as a free airplane for DCS?

So lemme sell it to you

For The New Guys

1.)This aircraft would be easier to fly than the Su-25T. It has superior Acceleration and Agility, allowing more room for error.

2.)Its multi-role, giving you a basic (but workable) Fighter/Bomber package.

3.)Its durable (besides the current SFM being crazy strong, will be fixed soon). The real MiG-29 is both durable structurally and systems wise, giving you redundant features like the HDD repeater.

4.)Gives you the ability to fight (while severely limited) against top of the line F-15s and Su-27s.

5.)It is used on both sides of DCS: Red and Blue. Allowing multiple nations on both sides to partake in the game.

6.)If using the radar, will not allow friendly fire (which is extremely embarrassing for a new pilot).

For the Rest of Us

1.)Would stimulate a larger community into DCS (at the very least a little bit). This gives you a healthy boost of new and eager pilots that would populate our servers. This will give people already integrated into the community all sorts of benefits from more threats to engage/avoid to more recruits into their squadrons (not to mention new squadrons forming). All in all I feel the pros outweigh the few cons of perhaps friendly fire, Airport Accidents, etc (and really paid players are no better than free players in this regard, new is new).

2.)Though you can be engaged at the same ranges as a Su-27 with the MiG-29A. The MiG does not get any more than 2xBVR missiles, carries only about 15 flare and 30 chaff presses, no ECM, no R-77, worse sensors all around, no TWS-2, and a slightly worse AoA cap. It is worse in every way to its more popular MiG-29S sibling. This is nowhere near enough to maintain any level of superiority over anything but a smaller section of the battlefield.

3.)Has the MiGs short legs, you will likely see MiGs from the rear more than the front. Again unable to sustain air-superiority.

4.)If using radar, will not allow friendly fire (which is one of the most frustrating things for a vet).

Why the MiG-29A?

1.)IRL has been widely produced/exported. A free airplane emulates this real-world popularity.

2.)The MiG-29A has been made redundant by the MiG-29S. If each MiG-29 was released as a separate module, nobody would buy the A. And if they were released in a pack the A would be overlooked anyways.

3.)The MiG-29G would be far too limited and frustrating to a new pilot. It only carries the early 1980s R-27R (cannot carry any E series or T series), R-73, and R-60s as A-A weapons. This would be awfully inferior against planes like the F-15 or really any other 4th Gen Fighter.

Alternatives (with reasons against)

1.) Sell the lower end MiGs for a reduced price. This would add small paywall (relative to the other modules), but still a paywall. And paywalls will always reduce player count. (And as much as I would still like to see the MiG be free, I would be okay if ED decided reduced price was an option. All I am doing is stirring up public discussion and suggestions)

2.) Make the MiG-29G free (reason against listed above).

TL: DR. The MiG-29A should be free or reduced in price due to its potential use as a "New Pilots Fighter", its flexibility in game, and its limited (but still workable) capabilities.

[Reason for Re-Poll...]

I realized that the poll I created before was way to polarized and very often votes for one or the other was swayed on small things like "It is not ready yet so I will vote no but I would be okay with the idea if the plane was ready". Mods, feel free to delete the older thread.

So...

What do you guys say? Shall we put this plane to use? We can debate why or why not below. Thank you for your time! :thumbup:

Edited by TheFurNinja
  • Like 1

In-Game Handle: Lutrafisk

She/Her

Oh hey it's this thread again. I don't have much to add that OP didn't already cover. It would be a great new player introduction plane for the people who just don't give a rats ass for air to ground and/or wouldn't be sold on flying a slow ground attacker.

Making the MIG- 29A realesed as a free module when its done should encurage more people to download DCS and try it out. I have multiple friends who have downloaded DCS but found it very frustrating for them to only fly a ground attack plane, and them seing the other modules cost what they cost dragged them away from the game, I had to convince one of my friends to get FC3 and he has had fun with it ever sience. So yeah ED please make the MIG-29 A free when done. Most people cannot afford investing in other modules so either they somehow get the other modules or stick with the very vounrable Su25T

I won't join this poll, no sense.

Maybe you don't like the Mig29 or you want every module payable(whatever may be the reason) :huh:

but the FULCRUM remains one of the most popular fighters around the world being exported to a large number of countries. :)

A free Mig29A with AFM/PFM & full systems modelling will bring in more players into DCS, which will only increase the popularity of this amazing sim. :)

We will then have both a fighter & dedicated ground attack aircraft for people who cannot afford paywares. :noexpression:

Great idea TheFurNinja! I think it will be a step forward. :thumbup:

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

Who says ED is updating all MIG-29 variations? Could be just the S.

Though, in general, i like the idea of making a fighter of FC3 level available for free.

But if it is the MIG-29, SU-33 or whatever else, doesn't really matter to much to me.

(though, F-15 and SU-27 would be weird cause they already can be bought as seperate modules)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

I think beer should be free.

No seriously, why should it be free? We have enough free planes for everyone to try the game.

The MiG-29A is a FC3 plane, it is sold with FC3, and I assume that as soon as it is upgraded to the Su-27's quality it will be sold separately, for a reasonable price.

EDIT: I understand your reasoning though.

Oh, and if someone buys the FC3 MiG-29 module he should get S, A, and G versions.

Edited by Aginor

There are already two free planes for trying. So if you wanna fly , just buy...:thumbup::pilotfly:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I voted no. If anyone can explain how this makes sense, in real terms, I might consider it. However, if this is done, why not a free helo, too!! That would certainly bring in players, as would a free, fully armed, WWII aircraft.

In fact, the more free aircraft there are, the more people will probably start playing. Of course, ED doesn't do to well with that business model.

:doh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I voted no. If anyone can explain how this makes sense, in real terms, I might consider it. However, if this is done, why not a free helo, too!! That would certainly bring in players, as would a free, fully armed, WWII aircraft.

In fact, the more free aircraft there are, the more people will probably start playing. Of course, ED doesn't do to well with that business model.

Because there are 3 MiG-29, which are pretty much the same as each other with the exception of different weapon loadouts. MiG-29A/G having the most restricted loadouts.

I don't think the PFM of the 3 MiGs are going have significant differences if any at all.

April Fools is two months away.

It really doesn't make sense. How could it reel in more people with all of these disadvantages? All it would do is just cause confusion and disappointment. When you buy a product, you (should) know what the product is actually capable of. When it's handed to you without prior explanation, you ask, What am I supposed to do with this? Then you bring it on yourself to assume. The MiG's reputation doesn't hold up for the truth. Short legs and two Cold War era BVR missiles aren't going to help much, if at all.

You know that thing with the friendly detection on radar? Doesn't always work. I'll bring myself as an example. Back a long time ago, fresh into DCS and Flaming Cliffs, I didn't like using the English setting for the cockpits. So I locked onto a friendly approaching hot from the enemy side. Thought that the "launch authorized" sign didn't show just because I was out of range by the computer's estimation, so I quickly overrode the launch computer and launched it myself. And yes, it was a kill.

It's just going to feel like punishment for being a free-to-play fighter.

Edited by Harpoon

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

• ED Team

ED could start charging for Golden Wags Tokens so that you can purchase ammo and fuel for your free aircraft.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png