Troops embark broken... Again?

Could you upload a mission where it did work for the clients, so I can compare it with mine?

I can also upload my mission later today if requested.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ok... This is nuts... Did not check the behaviors for embark/disembark for the mission we played yesterday as were set by my comrade HR_Ooto. The thing is that for this mission we fly with almost no setup at all O_O...

Mi-8 had no advance waypoint no nothing at all.

Mi-8-no-setup-at-all.jpg

Troops to embark just had the simplest embarking setup.

Simple-embark-and-nothing-else.jpg

It just worked the simplest way possible !!!:huh:.

I am sure that it was not working this way flew weeks ago. Have to check now if my single player missions still work ...

*If you still want the mission I can send it, I can check yours also if you like but not gonna be able to test it online.

We all did run the update of the Open Beta yesterday before the Mission.

I think I have no advanced waypoints for my Helos either, but I have assigned the helos to the infantry groups in the advanced waypoint options of the embark command. Will have to check without assigning them, although I think I did try that a few weeks/months ago and it didn't work. But I will try again as I'm not sure anymore.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think I have no advanced waypoints for my Helos either, but I have assigned the helos to the infantry groups in the advanced waypoint options of the embark command. Will have to check without assigning them, although I think I did try that a few weeks/months ago and it didn't work. But I will try again as I'm not sure anymore.

Worst is that seems that nothing is for sure here and seems constantly changing... What is quite far from ideal, still in a Beta I know but...

Would be great to have some words from the devs for a definitive way to set this for single and multiplayer.

Worst is that seems that nothing is for sure here and seems constantly changing... What is quite far from ideal, still in a Beta I know but...

I'm pretty sure it's in the stable too.

Would be great to have some words from the devs for a definitive way to set this for single and multiplayer.

Yeah, some official guide on how this is supposed to work (including in MP) would be great!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Embarking is working fine, it is a matter of setting a waypoint for the troops (waypoint 1), at the first waypoint, have them embark to transport. Make sure you add any aircraft that they can embark on. Then place waypoint 2 where you want to drop them off. When you land near that waypoint and disembark troops, they will automatically go to the waypoint. Of course, you can add more waypoints after that. but that will do it.

HawgDawg4life of MSFlights.net

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's a fairly generous definition of “fine”, though.

Fine would be if it worked the way you'd intuitively expect, where you can set any waypoint as an embarking point, and they'd travel to that point, wait, and then embark. The current implementation is silly limited and requires a deeply unsatisfactory level of chicken-waggling to make it work.

And that's when it actually works — it has a pretty ignominious history of breaking at the drop of a hat, after all.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 2 weeks later...

Yup!

Is this still the case? Only one/first/host can control the embarking menu?

I have found this to be true. its not the host, it is the first one to use the embarking command. I have 8 groups that embark to hueys, After picking up any group with any of 4 helicopters, embarking menu (F7) is still there, but when pressed it only gives F11 and F12 options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same issue here it was driving me crazy until I read this thread, then we just got the guy that was doing the troop transport to join first, and away it went.

How do you join before the host? The host is always the first one on the server and in my tests only the host gets the embark menu.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well to correct myself... the first person to pick a slot.

It drove me crazy because every test I did worked fine... but of course I was always first in when testing it by myself.

It worked the first time we ran the mission with mulriple players because it just so happened the guy doing the pickup was first to pick a slot. We had an issue with another trigger and had to start again and because they weren't first (their pc is a bit slower than the rest of us) it had issues.

Oh, I see. That's interesting, will have to try that.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After extensive testing

It drove me crazy because every test I did worked fine... but of course I was always first in when testing it by myself.

It worked the first time we ran the mission with mulriple players because it just so happened the guy doing the pickup was first to pick a slot. We had an issue with another trigger and had to start again and because they weren't first (their pc is a bit slower than the rest of us) it had issues.

Been driving me nutz too.... The problem is worse than I thought. Not only is embarking locked to the first player in a chopper, it is locked to the first person in any chopper. So, I have a mission where I have huey's transporting troops for the US and Mi-8's doing the same for the Russian side. I jump in a (of 4) huey's and I can embark troops, but my buddy, who jumps in another huey can not. So I tell my buddy to jump into an Mi-8 and embark for the red side. He jumps in the chopper and still cannot embark troops. I, on the other hand can jump into the Mi-8 and the embarking works for me just fine.

This is so irritating and I really wish ED would give this functionality a little more respect and time. It is a huge part of being a Whirly-Bird flyer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is so irritating and I really wish ED would give this functionality a little more respect and time. It is a huge part of being a Whirly-Bird flyer.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing how this feature is being neglected :(

Tornado3 small.jpg

Scripting is working fine, but the game should and does offer a non-scripted functionality and I expect it to work.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, in the meantime you can use transport scripts, it's all I'm saying :thumbup:

Sure, I think however the point is if we keep working around it and not pushing for it to get fixed, it will never get fixed.

Well, in the meantime you can use transport scripts, it's all I'm saying :thumbup:

That doesn't allow for simulating weight of transported troops, unfortunately.

Transport chopper's main task is.... let's take a wild guess.... transport.

2 of 4 choppers in DCS are transport chopper.

ED is simply making half of their sold helicopter products useless , this is unacceptable, if you ask me.

But since there are excellent community people (and I thank them million times for this, they are the litteral saviors of 2 DCS modules) that give us the tools to get around this HUGE (and longstanding, I can't remember the last time I could use DCS internal transportation system ) missing feature, ED gets away with it.

Sorry ED, but that's unacceptable, and has been for years. Shame.

That's exactly the kind of things that make me saying DCS will never be a complete product and will never be able to compete versus others that understand what "complete" means....

If I'm not too mistaken, I've already told my sentiment on this topic a while ago. Let's face it, ED doesn't care about this side of their issues.

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

That doesn't allow for simulating weight of transported troops, unfortunately.

If by that you mean making the Mi-8 more sluggish as cargo is added, then sure, it's a bummer.

But if you mean limiting cargo/troop capacity based on weight values, that can be done.

Unfortunately, I don't think these problems will be fixed any time soon, which is why I mentioned scripts.

PS: Scripts are simply the community's reaction to already existing problems, not the source of those problems.

I mean, I don't think ED & co refuse to fix problems simply because there are scripts out there that solve those problems. I think it's more complicated than that.

Edited by Hardcard

If by that you mean making the Mi-8 more sluggish as cargo is added, then sure, it's a bummer.
Yes, that's what I meant.

But if you mean limiting cargo/troop capacity based on weight values, that can be done.

Unfortunately, I don't think these problems will be fixed any time soon, which is why I mentioned scripts.

PS: Scripts are simply the community's reaction to already existing problems, not the source of those problems.

I mean, I don't think ED & co refuse to fix problems simply because there are scripts out there that solve those problems. I think it's more complicated than that.

I never said scripting solutions are the source of the problem. Again, I can't thank Ciribob & others enough for all the job they do to make DCS what it is.

The source of the problem is ED priorities. That kind of issues has clearly not seen any dedicated dev for long enough to still be there after years....

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

• 2 months later...
Been driving me nutz too.... The problem is worse than I thought. Not only is embarking locked to the first player in a chopper, it is locked to the first person in any chopper. So, I have a mission where I have huey's transporting troops for the US and Mi-8's doing the same for the Russian side. I jump in a (of 4) huey's and I can embark troops, but my buddy, who jumps in another huey can not. So I tell my buddy to jump into an Mi-8 and embark for the red side. He jumps in the chopper and still cannot embark troops. I, on the other hand can jump into the Mi-8 and the embarking works for me just fine.

Anyone know if this problem still persists?

• 6 months later...

Yes, I read something about it in the update changes.

- What does this mean in practice inside ME?

- Is there now a new "working" way to do the troop embark/disembark without using more complex ways like MOOSE scripting (that is out of my reach)?

- Are the 2.5.5 version troop transport missions gonna work again without doing any change to them in a near future?

:huh: