What kind of content can we expect? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
cuervo111

Default What kind of content can we expect?

Hi,
I was considering buying this module. However it seems like there is not much content for it, right? No missions, no campaigns...

Is this supposed to be strictly a plane for doing training without any content apart from the training missions? Are there any plans for some combat missions. Maybe some challenges like formation flying?
cuervo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
YoYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo111 View Post
Hi,
I was considering buying this module. However it seems like there is not much content for it, right? No missions, no campaigns...

Is this supposed to be strictly a plane for doing training without any content apart from the training missions? Are there any plans for some combat missions. Maybe some challenges like formation flying?
Yes, You have right. Models are great but no serious content here (like the campaign), pity. F-5E will have similar content like L-39.

I saw some kind of campaign done by user in Download section of DCS webpage (but I didnt download it so cant talk about the quality: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c..._filter=Filter ).
Win 10 64, i7 7700k@4.5, GTX 1080Ti 11Gb, RAM 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX, 4xSSD+1SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TrackIR 5, TH Warthog, Throtlle Quadrant CH, MFG Rudder, Go Flight GF-P8, Saitek: Pro Flight Radio Panel, Pro Flight Switch Panel, Pro Flight Multi Panel, FiP and BiP, iPad2 for maps [FSX, P3Dv3, DCS, TOH, RoF, Condor, WT, IL-2 CoD/BoS/BoM/BoK]

Last edited by YoYo; 06-13-2016 at 03:36 PM.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
Art-J
Veteran

I'm thinking about buying it too. Mostly for flying around, as I do with all the other planes, but I'm curious about answers for these questions as well.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
cuervo111

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
Yes, You have right. Models are great but no serious content here (like the campaign), pity. F-5E will have similar content like L-39.

I saw some kind of campaign done by user in Download section of DCS webpage (but I didnt download it so cant talk about the quality: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c..._filter=Filter ).
Yeah I saw that... and that's precisely the reason I asked because that is the only content I found, and it is not even designed for the 39!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Ramsay

Unfortunately the L-39 module lacks any real content, it's been a fun aircraft to teach with (easy to learn, hard to master) but after 9 months, I decided to move onto the Gazelle as, despite it's faults, it comes with a campaign and can be substituted for a Huey in existing MP CSAR/CTLD missions.

The lack of campaign in L-39 module is a real shame as it could have shown how with clever mission design, it might fit with rest of DCS's assets (as Belsimtek did with their Huey campaign) and/or allowed ED to fix some their weapons and damage modelling.

As it is, the L-39 does too little damage and dies to easily to ground fire that looks to have been balanced for FC3/A-10C.

The user campaign 'Outremer L-39ZA' is a converted Su-25T campaign using smoke markers/flares in place of FC3 waypoints and a rebalance of the ground forces. It's a fair attempt but can't by it's self, makeup for the lack of content from ED.

Last edited by Ramsay; 06-13-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Ramsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
cuervo111

That's a pity. I really hope ED and all the other devs start to pay more attention to content. Buying planes without anything to do with them is almost like buying a new Kindle without any books on it.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #7
Vedexent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo111 View Post
That's a pity. I really hope ED and all the other devs start to pay more attention to content. Buying planes without anything to do with them is almost like buying a new Kindle without any books on it.
Can't agree.

It's like buying a Lego set without the instructions on how to build what's on the box cover; Usually not a problem at all, unless you have no creativity.

Of course, it's nice if you can use the instructions to build what's on the box cover, but who the hell stops there?

These are combat aircraft, with a built in "create your own mission editor", and a whole host of multiplayer servers, including one devoted to aerobatic flying if you don't feel like "blowing s#%# up".
Vedexent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 AM   #8
Haukka81+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedexent View Post
Can't agree.

It's like buying a Lego set without the instructions on how to build what's on the box cover; Usually not a problem at all, unless you have no creativity.

Of course, it's nice if you can use the instructions to build what's on the box cover, but who the hell stops there?

These are combat aircraft, with a built in "create your own mission editor", and a whole host of multiplayer servers, including one devoted to aerobatic flying if you don't feel like "blowing s#%# up".
Can't agree

Flying self made missions is boring as hell, because you always know too much. (least if you dont have dementia)

This is somekind combat aircraft but weapons are weak. Rokects in dcs have zero sharpnel effec so they are next to useless. (and this is been case all the way from FC series)

-haukka81

Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
Flying self made missions is boring as hell, because you always know too much. (least if you dont have dementia)
You can never tell what your wingman will do in MP but agree with your main point as I often fly a mission several times in the editor to balance the units or ensure the triggers are working correctly before using it.

Creating missions for the L-39 can be fun and interesting but is a different experience and requires a different skill set to flying the L-39.

Quote:
This is somekind combat aircraft but weapons are weak. Rockets in dcs have zero sharpnel effec so they are next to useless. (and this is been case all the way from FC series)
The shame is, the L-39ZA can be an effective and fun combat aircraft in a well designed mission.

I've used design elements from a couple of F-86 missions, along with static and moving convoys from Huey missions.

The L-39ZA suffers a big performance hit with a full load and seemed to die a little easier than the F-86 but it was it's light and ineffective bombs that made me look to the Huey for inspiration.

When I saw Waggs demo the L-39 flying through the floating 'rings', I was hopeful for a training campaign teaching circuits, patterns, ACM, etc.

Unfortunately we got an arcade race track.

As the 3d elements are static in 3d space, they seem of limited use but can be used to mark the "picture" for the turn to final, a turn/roll in to target, start of an aerobatic loop, etc.

In MP, it's easier to talk people though a manoeuvre or a tacview debrief but it still seems a missed opportunity for SP and an easy way for ED to have padded out their L-39 content.

After creating, half a dozen 'scratch pad' missions (not fit to share) for the L-39, it was ED's patches to their scripting engine that meant, missions although playable, didn't run as originally designed, that made me switch to the Gazelle (a change is as good as a rest).

None of which makes the L-39 simulation bad or changes the lack content.

Last edited by Ramsay; 06-14-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Ramsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
msalama
Veteran

Default Use MIST and stay creative!

You can always make missions that are totally randomized to alleviate the boredom of flying them again and again. I, for example, have a couple where I don't know where the enemy is, what's their strength and whether they decide to attack or stay put. And if they stay put, I then have to locate and destroy them by whatever means at my disposal - if I can!