Rift S... Any ideas on how to fix?

Capn Penguin

Okey Dokey,

First night Rift S worked like a banshee and it was fantastic. To see what the difference would be (and this may be unrelated) I changed the PD to 2.0 and the Rift dropped video and crashed within 10 seconds. Since then I have been unable to get beyond the main menu with one exception.

I have logged in through DCS, Oculus and through Skatezillas thing all with the same result. One of two things happens. Either the moment the Mig in the hangar appears everything locks up and the S video drops out. Approximately 15 seconds later it begins running again on the screen but no video to the S. I can move the headset around and it moves on the screen, I can even click and fly but no video to the headset. Audio is fine and the lights are no but no video. The other thing is I get to the menu where then cymbals are playing but the instant they hit their peak and the music is going to start, BAM, the same thing happens.

Last night I logged in and I was actually able to fly one mission but after sucking up a SAM the mission debrief came up and as soon as I hit "Close" BAM same thing happened and I have been unable to get back in.

I have tried rebooting, updating drivers, moving video cord to other port, turning off USB power management etc. DCS Tech support asked me to go into the options.lua file and manually reduce PD to less than 1, which I did but still the same issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One time DCS crush while loading and messed up going to main menu. It turned out windows somehow corrupted options.lua and tried to recreate it with messed up setting.

Verify this by renaming the whole DCS folder in Saved game folder. You’ll get to DCS with default setting. Then maybe narrow it down to options.lua

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

I would firstly try to elliminate the possibility of a faulty unit. Try it somewhere else, on a friend's PC or just other game than DCS. If it does not crash and work as it should then get to the step 2.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I will try that with the lya file when I get home.

Thats the weird thing Rusky, it works great with subnautica and elite dangerous. It's just dcs that's giving me fits.

So how do I re relate the Lua file?

Cap'n Penguin

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nodak, yes sir. I did within the settings and then ED tech support asked me to do it manually in the .lua file as well. I did but same issue.

Woooe is me :)

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK so I moved the entire contents of the directory with the .lua files to my desktop and it launched and flew fantastic for a single mission. As soon as the mission ended and I clicked the "close" button on the debrief page the same series of events occurred.

1) Immediate black screen in the S

2) Flat screen DCS freezes for 15 seconds

3) At the end of the 15 seconds three windows sounds are heard

4) the flat screen unfreezes and DCS resumes, I can move the headset and the menu and such moves accordingly but no video.

5) The S goes back to the Oculus house and I have full video and such on the S but no DCS

6) I get frustrated and swear off DCS forever

7) I ask DCS to forgive me

8) I stare at my S with utter disdain

9) I pick it up wash... rinse... repeat

Edited by Cap'n Penguin

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well if you can see the house its a DCS issue for sure.

Solution. Call ED, have them send wags to fix it ;)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Right now I'm so frustrated I would pay for the ticket :).

::Whiney mode engaged:: Yea everything else plays beautifully, of course I don't want to play everything else, I wanna fly DCS ::Whiney mode disengaged::

Actually I'm probably just gonna take it back and go back to the original. I love the upgrade but at my age I'm not savvy enough to fix it and it's not worth the frustration :).

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One thing I notice to my PC & DCS combo lately is DCS don’t like its window to be out of focus while it is loading/busy. A click on a different window while it is busy will surely get me an error/CTD. Close windows that are not needed, I wouldn’t even pull my CV1 off while it’s busy, coz sometimes oculus home likes to throw some notification that I took the HMD off. Duh..

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

OK, now it gets wonky. I uninstalled DCS and the Oculus. Completely clean installs of both. Not a single add-on module installed. Logged in and tooled around in the SU25T. Flew like a champ, smooth as butter.

Ended the mission, clicked close on the debrief panel and BAM. Same thing.

I'm packing her up, as I have been beaten :)

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It also sounds like windows is preventing it to write files. Try to run as administrator.

Think I figured it out. I noticed it kept happening when the cymbals reached their peak or when I would click "Close" which changes songs. I disabled the Rift S audio device and no crashes. It's running great with the sound from my TV.

Other games run with sound on the Rift but the DCS sound is causing a crash. I don't understand it but that's par for my course :).

Thank you all for the ideas, input and suggestions. I truly appreciate them all.

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This sounds a lot like a game crash that used to happen with the Rift CV1. There was a temp. fix where you could remove the 3D hangar background... Anybody remember how? I’ll search a bit to see if I can find it. Must be here somewhere. Would be interesting to see if it fixes your problem...

Found it!

Rename the SceneVR.lua file, and see if this fixes your crash.

Found here:

Scripts/demoScenes/SceneVR.lua

As I read some of the old threads about this, it had to do with shaders, not audio. Your problem may not be related at all...

Edited by Goblin

Thanks Goblin. I tried renaming and removing that entire file but it caused DCS to not start up. I didn't see an audio setting in the file or I would try to simply turn it off. There is something about the Audio in the VR menu that my cranky little S doesn't care for but I'm very thankful that it is working. :)

Edited by Cap'n Penguin

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suspect it is a resources thing. I have far less when I turned down the graphics settings. Hopefully, there will be an end to it when DCS World 2.5.5 comes along.

Some of us get the issue, others don't. With any luck, the experts will come up with the definitive fix soon.

Just an update. I heard from Randy at Oculus and they beliEve it to be a hardware issue with my specific headset and he requested I exchange it for .

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try deleting all the files in the saved game folder in FXO folder and metashaders2 folder. Some shaders were built with the PD at 2.0 and maybe if you delete them, DCS will rebuild the files with the lower PD setting you went back to. Can't hurt to try.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset