problem with trim or...? behavior after missile launch

Grifter

Hi,

To practice fighting at the merge, I loaded an F-18 with four AIM 9x and a center fuel tank. The plan is to drop the tank near the fight and get into the fight. I have dropped the tank in some attempts. In others, frankly, I've forgotten to do so. In both cases, after launching an AIM 9x, the plane rolls fairly strong and I try to correct with trim, but then the plane is sluggish and can't really turn. Again, I don't have anything on the aircraft besides four AIM 9x and possibly the fuel tank. I've tried this mission with pylons on and I've tried with the unused pylons removed. Same problem.

EDIT: I should've said that I have not had this experience with the F-18 with other, heavier payloads, ie. AMRAAMs and AIM 9X's mixes. The jet flies just fine after I've released a missle or the imbalance isn't anything you wouldn't expect.

Has anyone else experienced this? What am I doing wrong here? Trying to go into my turns about 400-450, but as I said I'm fighting roll rate with trim just so I can keep the plane level. Can't fight like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Grifter
adding additional information

Hi thanks for responding, but I'm trimming because when I launch an AIM 9X, I experience seemingly excessive imbalance and therefore the plane rolls like it would if I had I launched a harm. I've checked my HOTAS and rudder pedals, but don't believe they are the culprit. If anyone has any other thoughts or has experienced this issue, I'm looking for a solution. Thanks again.

I have experience exactly the same thing, when you launch a single aim9 then crank on the stick, the turning moment is so great that full aileron deflection is needed to keep stable. I'm not sure if this is a side effect of the aircraft being so lightly loaded, but when I have an imbalance of mk82 the turning moment isn't nearly as severe.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I've found this too. Even firing off a single Aim-9 mounted on a LAU-127 and LAU-115 throws such a large imbalance that it's very difficult to maintain stability when pulling moderate to substantial G.

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

I was just about to start a new tread to ask about it, I also have serious control problems after launching a AIM9, the aircraft tips violently to one side and the roll trim on the stick cant recover it

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The AIM-9 is about 191 lbs (86 kg) and I would not think a severe roll would be induced by its separation from the AC. I usually try to fire / release inboard ordnance first because of balance issues. I have not noticed much of a difference firing missiles. I do sometimes notice the difference after releasing bombs. However the idea in this case is to get rid of as much as you can so you do not have to roll in on same target. I do not know if you are experiencing a bug or flight dynamics. By the way when I researched the weight on Wiki I saw that in early 1970s there was AIM-9 testing done against tanks. :D

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I’ll echo the previous comments. I find the aircraft more unbalanced after firing a single AIM 9 than after dropping a MK83 from one wing. If I’m in a turn fight and fire one the plane becomes really difficult to control. Something seems odd about the modeling.

I had the same problem in a multiplayer mission, but only when spawning into an air start. Launch an aim9, and it needs about 3/4 aileron to hold level. Can only pull limited G. Respawned into same slot multiple times to test it.

Same mission, if I spawn into a cold start hornet, the plane flies normally. Even after launching aim9.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.