Problems with Landing Training Mission

flyingfed

I'm new to DCS and the A-10C. Hardware is a TM Warthog throttle and stick correctly set up in DCS. In running through the training vids for the aircraft, I'm stumped by the landing one. It launches fine, but yesterday, when I get to the part where you call Batumi approach, I toggled the comm button on the throttle (and can see it moving in the cockpit), but the comm menu never comes up. Today when I ran it, I couldn't even get past the first briefing screen, as the sim wouldn't recognize the space bar input. It did recognize the pause key input, so I know it's reading the keyboard. I tried other training missions and the space bar is recognized to advance the briefing.

Perhaps a related issue with the radios is that when I open the CPU divert page for Batumi, the frequencies are missing except for the ILS. Tuning the VHF comm to 131.000 and verifying it and the transmitter selector are correctly set doesn't fix the issue. Could this be linked to the comm menu not coming up? The screenshot is what I get for the Batumi divert page.

Untitled.jpg.4a57f5407760e5d84fe07103079e24f7.jpg

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I do get the same results on the landing tutorial. The tutorial WILL NOT recognize the space bar to advance the tutorial. I have tried MANY times with the same results. My space key works just fine. Other tutorials also will often not advance with the space bar press, but it's hit and miss.

Cheers,

Bob

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

press the gun trigger to advance the tutorials

Great tip. I'd have never thought of it. Now that's out of the way, I can at least fly the lesson, although my comm still doesn't work. Any thoughts on a connection between no VHF freq shown on the CDU page, perhaps indicating that the sim doesn't recognize 131.000 as the correct freq?

The best thing is to not take any action whatsoever until the voice instructions are 100% complete, then wait a few extra seconds. This worked well for me.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion, GTFreeFlyer. Waiting didn't have any effect on getting the comm dialog to come up. I'm sure it's not just hiding, as when you're supposed to be done with it according to the IP, and you're instructed to hit the escape key that should exit the dialog, instead it takes me to the flight options menu (the one where you exit the lesson among other things. So the comm dialog just isn't coming up.

Edited by flyingfed

press the gun trigger to advance the tutorials

Thank you also! Works.

flyingfed... I change the VHF radio to 113.00 and bring up comm menu, go through menu to get a vector to IP OK. To exit the comm menu press F12 rather than the escape key. The comm menu should clear.

I get the same readout on the Divert Page, no freq info for Batumi.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

It launches fine, but yesterday, when I get to the part where you call Batumi approach, I toggled the comm button on the throttle (and can see it moving in the cockpit), but the comm menu never comes up.

Huh, that sounds weird.

If you go to the A-10C SIM Control Assignments, can you verify that the comm switch you're using jumps to "HOTAS MIC Switch Forward"?

That's the one you'd be using for the VHF AM Radio, which in turn is the proper radio to call Batumi on 131.000.

Also, do you run any mods, stuff like VoiceAttack or Vaicom? Vaicom in particular tries to hide the comm menu.

Perhaps a related issue with the radios is that when I open the CPU divert page for Batumi, the frequencies are missing except for the ILS.

They're not missing, they're just... not supported by the A-10. ;)

It's a very annoying bug that's been introduced ages ago. The CDU should show the VHF freqs, but does show an alternate frequency band, which I think some of the WWII warbirds need.

You should be able to click an airfield on the F10 map to get freqs in all bands, though (except clicking on airports was also bugged until recently :( )

I'm sure it's not just hiding, as when you're supposed to be done with it according to the IP, and you're instructed to hit the escape key that should exit the dialog, instead it takes me to the flight options menu (the one where you exit the lesson among other things. So the comm dialog just isn't coming up.

I could be wrong, but I think ESC always opens the mission menu (Controls, Options, Quit Mission and so on). In order to close the comms menu, the F12 key should be used. Maybe the voice over was recorded so long ago that back then ESC was the proper key, not sure about that.

In any case, when the comm menu should be open, you could hit F1 or F2 or so repeatedly and see if your pilot starts to call someone (I think F1 and F1 would be something like "Flight" and then "Engage enemy fighters" or some such).

Thanks for the suggestions and background.:thumbup:

Huh, that sounds weird.

If you go to the A-10C SIM Control Assignments, can you verify that the comm switch you're using jumps to "HOTAS MIC Switch Forward"?

That's the one you'd be using for the VHF AM Radio, which in turn is the proper radio to call Batumi on 131.000.

I've triple checked the assignments and the "HOTAS Mic Switch Forward" is associated with the corresponding movement by the TM HOTAS switch. As noted, the switch in the cockpit moves correctly when I do the button press on the hardware.

Also, do you run any mods, stuff like VoiceAttack or Vaicom? Vaicom in particular tries to hide the comm menu.

No mods or other add-ons. Only the ED A-10C and the current (not Beta) DCS World.

They're not missing, they're just... not supported by the A-10. ;)

It's a very annoying bug that's been introduced ages ago. The CDU should show the VHF freqs, but does show an alternate frequency band, which I think some of the WWII warbirds need.

Thanks for the clarification/correction.

You should be able to click an airfield on the F10 map to get freqs in all bands, though (except clicking on airports was also bugged until recently :( )

I've also have printouts of all the relevant comm and nav freqs, but thanks for the reminder on the map. I'll add it to my growing knowledge and use of the game controls.

I could be wrong, but I think ESC always opens the mission menu (Controls, Options, Quit Mission and so on). In order to close the comms menu, the F12 key should be used. Maybe the voice over was recorded so long ago that back then ESC was the proper key, not sure about that.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. Thanks for noting the correct F key to use. Guess I'd better get used to all of them. The TM HOTAS really spoils you by keeping you off the keyboard, but keys do have their place in the sim context.

In any case, when the comm menu should be open, you could hit F1 or F2 or so repeatedly and see if your pilot starts to call someone (I think F1 and F1 would be something like "Flight" and then "Engage enemy fighters" or some such).

I can see I need to figure out how to integrate the F keys in a wider context. It doesn't help that the lessons use non-standard keys, such as the trigger to move to the next part in this lesson but not others. As a newby, one needs to remember that this is an evolving platform and as the A-10C was a very early module, it hasn't always kept pace. I can see that in the comments in other parts of the forum, and have no problem living with the limitation. So many of the other elements make it easy to overlook a few warts.

Edited by flyingfed

Thank you also! Works.

flyingfed... I change the VHF radio to 113.00 and bring up comm menu, go through menu to get a vector to IP OK. To exit the comm menu press F12 rather than the escape key. The comm menu should clear.

I get the same readout on the Divert Page, no freq info for Batumi.

Thanks for that. I'll give 113.00 a try later today. Assuming it's not a typo from 131.000, I'm surprised that 113.00 is usable as a comm freq, since it's down in the nav band (108.00 to 117.95).

I've triple checked the assignments and the "HOTAS Mic Switch Forward" is associated with the corresponding movement by the TM HOTAS switch. As noted, the switch in the cockpit moves correctly when I do the button press on the hardware.

I have that nagging feeling that I've read about this problem before, but I just can't remember the cause, or a solution. :(

The TM HOTAS really spoils you by keeping you off the keyboard, but keys do have their place in the sim context.

They sure do. ;)

I really like the HOTAS concept in the A-10C. It's very thought-out and, with a bit of practice, I think it works very well and offers a lot of options to pilots.

But the overall complexity of the A-10C means that using the keyboard in addition to the TM Warthog will make many tasks easier/quicker than using the mouse. :thumbup:

It doesn't help that the lessons use non-standard keys, such as the trigger to move to the next part in this lesson but not others.

I haven't tested this, but I think it should be the same key in any case.

All the missions say something along the lines of "Press Space to advance", but I think internally DCS is actually checking the gun trigger rather than the Space key (but Space is the default key-bind for the gun trigger). That's definitely a problem when players remap Space to something else, but AFAIR there have been cases where Space was still bound to gun trigger, but still didn't work to advance the trainings. Anyway, the gun trigger usually works as plan B. ;)

As a newby, one needs to remember that this is an evolving platform and as the A-10C was a very early module, it hasn't always kept pace.

That's true. On the other hand, a lot of work has been done behind the scenes to keep the A-10C up to date. I think the latest Open Beta changelog mentions the Instant Action missions that have been overhauled so that they work with the current DCS version. There's also an update coming with new cockpit and external models to work better with the latest DCS graphics engine. No specific timeframe other than 2019 (hopefully), but ED is working on it.

And then, the amount of content on YouTube for the DCS A-10C is overwhelming. I'm sure it sucks when training missions or the documentation are out of date, but all things considered the A-10C is still my favorite DCS module and IMHO it is really, really worth learning to fly and fight in it. :thumbup:

For all that contributed, thank you! Being new to the platform, I had a fair idea of the community from the research I did before jumping in. Now that I needed a bit of support, I'm frankly overwhelmed with the positive attitudes and how many of you jumped in to help. I'm a moderator in another sim community where at times and with certain products I see a lot of negativity. Definitely not the case here.

Edited by flyingfed

That's true. On the other hand, a lot of work has been done behind the scenes to keep the A-10C up to date. I think the latest Open Beta changelog mentions the Instant Action missions that have been overhauled so that they work with the current DCS version. There's also an update coming with new cockpit and external models to work better with the latest DCS graphics engine. No specific timeframe other than 2019 (hopefully), but ED is working on it.

And then, the amount of content on YouTube for the DCS A-10C is overwhelming. I'm sure it sucks when training missions or the documentation are out of date, but all things considered the A-10C is still my favorite DCS module and IMHO it is really, really worth learning to fly and fight in it. :thumbup:

I agree, and for me, the A-10C is a great place to start in DCS. I feel appropriately challenged with what's available at the moment, and yet pleasantly looking forward to the update. Great place to be.

Thanks too for the tip on YouTube. I never thought to look there, but I will tomorrow night instead of flying. For tonight, I want to see if one of the suggestions resolves the comm menu issue. Whether it does or not, the other tips, like the trigger were the breakthroughs I needed to complete the lesson (and any future ones where the space bar isn't read).

• 2 weeks later...

As a closeout, I decided to do an R&R, since the repair option disappeared from my Windows Start menu. The comm menus now behave as expected. A long day with a slow (1 mbs) connection but a couple of other little niggles have disappeared too, so worth the time. Thanks all for the help.