ENGINE SOUNDS KINDA DISAPPOINTING

itzdsay

Over the years DCS has gotten better with external sounds, but they have need of a better overall sound engine. As it stands, I bet they could do a much better job of it, but I bet there would be severe penalties in terms of overall game performance. The hit on cycles might be too unacceptable to everyone.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard on Youtube the Tomcat sounds great overall but there are a few minor things that annoy me:

-when pulling G's, it sounds like your old grandma's chair squeaking. I would prefer no cockpit shaking noise.

-when the canopy gets shut, it sounds like your kitchen's door and not like a fighter jet canopy.

-when lighting up the afterburner, you get a roar inside the cockpit (just like the Viggen by the way) and this is a sound you should be getting only when outside the airplane, not inside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good grief, there is someone on the Hornet team that is so full of himself and condescending that I can't stomach listening to for more than thirty seconds.

I hear ya man - pilots, special breed.. Does he post up condescending comments like

"Better learn to land on speed. Just catching a wire and patting yourself on the back is rubbish." :lookaround:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you mad? Heatblur arrogant? Best bunch of blokes I've come across in a long time. Heatblur is listening and are adamant about getting it right.

Careful here, using logic may wind up causing more anger. :book:

A large portion of the community who own the F-14 agree with the standing belief that the sounds were done well on it. This is just nothing but the usual banter and expectations not aligned to theirs.

My humble apologies to Heatblur. They have done superb job with their module.

Just stupid rivalry and harshness between Finns and Sweds. Finns don't make this kind of stuff at all which is sad. Can't argue that HB's has been very responsive to feedback.

Btw Gripen is great plane.

Edited by Blinde

My humble apologies to Heatblur. They have done superb job with their module.

Just stupid rivalry and harshness between Finns and Sweds. Finns don't make this kind of stuff at all which is sad. Can't argue that HB's has been very responsive to feedback.

Btw Gripen is great plane.

No apologies necessary! Don't be silly :)

Though donations of salmiakki are very welcome :D

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I don't believe the sound issue is HB's fault, F14 sounds fine to me when just looking at the plane externally. It's only really in terms of fly by sound that EVERY single module ingame sounds weird/dissatisfactory, which is odd since jet flybys sounded great about a year ago with a noticable sonic thump :-/

I think sonic boom was gone over a year ago.

I've been reading this forum's F-14 discussion for about 6 months now and HB sounds pretty arrogant firm, when compared to ED's Hornet for example. They just think it's okay like this and not listen to paying customers. Kind of bad business to me.

I dont want HB to listen to paying customers when most of them reiterate internet lore about the F14 not being able to dogfight or the phoenix being only useful against non maneuvering large bombers. I rather HB continues to focus on making the most realistic simulation possible, and the armchair pilots repeating garbage from realvirtualfighterjocks.com go stuff it.

I dont want HB to listen to paying customers when most of them reiterate internet lore about the F14 not being able to dogfight or the phoenix being only useful against non maneuvering large bombers. I rather HB continues to focus on making the most realistic simulation possible, and the armchair pilots repeating garbage from realvirtualfighterjocks.com go stuff it.

Amen to that.

I rather HB continues to focus on making the most realistic simulation possible, and the armchair pilots repeating garbage from realvirtualfighterjocks.com go stuff it.

Well then they’d have to implement some of the improvements paying customers suggested in this very thread.

Well then they’d have to implement some of the improvements paying customers suggested in this very thread.

You mean the paying customers getting their knowledge of in and out of cockpit sounds from their feelings, Youtube Videos and some wet Ace Combat dreams? I have serious doubts that more than the half of them were done with school when the plane was in active service :music_whistling:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You mean the paying customers getting their knowledge of in and out of cockpit sounds from their feelings, Youtube Videos and some wet Ace Combat dreams? I have serious doubts that more than the half of them were done with school when the plane was in active service :music_whistling:

I mean, talking about the external sounds yeah, you’re probably right. That’s a highly subjective topic. I think the ground idle sounds completely wrong, as it currently growls like an engine on military power but I never spend time in the external view anyways :D

About the cockpit sounds, apart from hearing Jester click stuff all the time (that kind of breaks the immersion a little bit, but someone is gonna mod this anyways), I really like them, even though they are not reeeeeally 100% realistic, but that would be kinda boring as well so I understand HBs motivation behind this.

Jesus, failed reading comprehension much? Did you even read his response? They are working on the flyby bug.

Says the guy who didn't understand shit...

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Looks and sounds like the F14A.

Thanks Heatblur for the Tomcat! I must agree the F14 engine sound needs some tweaking. I worked around and with the Tomcat and especially the B and our sim model lacks some authenticity. The taxi sound, the maneuver fly by, the exhaust of the f110 engines is not black but light gold colored and the B model at afterburner throws compression rings, one of the first to do so. It was an awesome machine once the under powered TF30's were dumped.

Here is a link from youtube guys that would further enhance the enjoyment of this awesome model. Capt. Snodgrass does the narration and shows how the Tomcat is suppose to maneuver. Our model acts, sounds and looks like the A. Check it out. Thanks.

...and the B model at afterburner throws compression rings, one of the first to do so. It was an awesome machine once the under powered TF30's were dumped.

This +1000000

I just wonder why pretty much no one else has pointed this out. Those afterburner effects haven't improved at all since footage seen on 6 months ago. AB effects and sounds are pretty much the only things that need to be improved since pretty much else is quite there. Okay Jester could talk more on certain situations.

• 1 month later...

From my perspective, having seen this aircraft in person many, many times, the external sounds are wrong. I don't care how Heatblur feels about it. Hearing that this is near final because Heatblur is happy with it is most unfortunate.

If a dev is not willing enough to at least use a frame work where corrections can be made by the community, well, the value of the product is further decreased in my eyes. Echo-19 did a great job modding the F-18 sounds. He took a deep dive into this module and discovered some glaring shortcuts. And that is exactly what they are, shortcuts. Flyby sounds that are on all the time are realistic? Really? And for $80.00? Yeah, okay!

The sounds on this module are, in my opinion, the worst of any recent module I've owned in this sim. They are on par with FC3 sounds. I was hoping since it is pre-release, it would be looked after. Reading this thread has diminished that hope significantly.

I, and several of the guys I fly with, no longer fly the Tomcat that much because we can't get over the horrible external sounds. Even worse, it's not entirely correctable by the community. We've got a sound mod in that corrects the front sounds, but the rear 100% mil power sound all the time that does not pitch shift with throttle input is so unrealistic it's laughable that it is being passed off as such by the dev. It's your company. You are certainly entitled to run it as you see fit.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

From my perspective, having seen this aircraft in person many, many times, the external sounds are wrong. I don't care how Heatblur feels about it. Hearing that this is near final because Heatblur is happy with it is most unfortunate.

If a dev is not willing enough to at least use a frame work where corrections can be made by the community, well, the value of the product is further decreased in my eyes. Echo-19 did a great job modding the F-18 sounds. He took a deep dive into this module and discovered some glaring shortcuts. And that is exactly what they are, shortcuts. Flyby sounds that are on all the time are realistic? Really? And for $80.00? Yeah, okay!

The sounds on this module are, in my opinion, the worst of any recent module I've owned in this sim. They are on par with FC3 sounds. I was hoping since it is pre-release, it would be looked after. Reading this thread has diminished that hope significantly.

I, and several of the guys I fly with, no longer fly the Tomcat that much because we can't get over the horrible external sounds. Even worse, it's not entirely correctable by the community. We've got a sound mod in that corrects the front sounds, but the rear 100% mil power sound all the time that does not pitch shift with throttle input is so unrealistic it's laughable that it is being passed off as such by the dev. It's your company. You are certainly entitled to run it as you see fit.

You're making a number of pretty egregious assumptions in your post. Particularly, that;

• The sounds are final.
  • Echo-19 is the ultimate authority on what a "moddable" sound set looks like. (Surprise: different developers implement things differently)
  • Sounds named "flyby" are meant for flyby exclusively. (Gosh, we're so incompetent!) - how could we let something so bad slip by!?

Every time I step into this thread things get more ridiculous.

Give us a chance to work through our roadmap.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

We've got a sound mod in that corrects the front sounds...

Can you share this mod? I'd like to use it.

You're making a number of pretty egregious assumptions in your post. Particularly, that;

• The sounds are final.
  • Echo-19 is the ultimate authority on what a "moddable" sound set looks like. (Surprise: different developers implement things differently)
  • Sounds named "flyby" are meant for flyby exclusively. (Gosh, we're so incompetent!) - how could we let something so bad slip by!?

Every time I step into this thread things get more ridiculous.

Give us a chance to work through our roadmap.

Hmm... What? You said earlier this:

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final. I'm pleased with where we are at present, especially inside. Expecting a Hornet howl from a Tomcat is somewhat unfeasible.

Fly-by sounds may see some improvement down the line- but again- we can't give it some sort of special sound that it didn't have in reality.

Maybe things get bit better once the F-16 gets released so that those EG F110 sounds can be somehow used.

Edited by Blinde

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final. I'm pleased with where we are at present, especially inside. Expecting a Hornet howl from a Tomcat is somewhat unfeasible.

Fly-by sounds may see some improvement down the line- but again- we can't give it some sort of special sound that it didn't have in reality.

Can you guys at least fix the delay in hearing the jet once you hit F2? That’s super annoying and unrealistic.

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

TM F/A-18 Stick | Virpil WarBRD | WinWIng F/A-18 HOTAS

Can you guys at least fix the delay in hearing the jet once you hit F2? That’s super annoying and unrealistic.

Yes it’s very unrealistic when you suddenly appear incorporeally outside the aircraft and the sound takes a second to load.:noexpression:

That's a workaround for a core DCS issue. We have to disable external sounds selectively in order to avoid hitting a hardcoded sound limit.

Unfortunately, it takes a while for them to kick in after switching to external view.

It's on the list, obviously- but it's non trivial.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations