Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do! Is there a way to automatically pull gfx settings for posting? I will say this - day 1 (May 22) when I got the Rift S, I left my graphics settings as is (high/nearly maxed). When I was just now experiencing the "jitter/jiggle", I had lowered the gfx settings to "minimum".

So, I will check my FPS if I can figure out how..

Thanks again!

Ok, It shows 20hz and again, my chin is literally on the top of the "dashboard" of the F-18.

Ok, It shows 20hz and again, my chin is literally on the top of the "dashboard" of the F-18.
That's probably the reason you see stuttering...

You should decrease graphics to get around 40fps. First disable msaa (or set it at 2x maximum). Set shadows to low, and tick the "flat shadows" box. Visibility range to high, at most. Disable motion blur. And try, if possible to install DCS on an SSD drive.

I think that's the most fps impacting settings.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

That's probably the reason you see stuttering...

You should decrease graphics to get around 40fps. First disable msaa (or set it at 2x maximum). Set shadows to low, and tick the "flat shadows" box. Visibility range to high, at most. Disable motion blur. And try, if possible to install DCS on an SSD drive.

I think that's the most fps impacting settings.

For this test, graphics were at "minimum". HD is an M2 NVME (Hella fast).

For this test, graphics were at "minimum". HD is an M2 NVME (Hella fast).

Presets are crap TBH. Here are the FPS killers in VR, in rough decreasing order of fps hit (imo of course):

pixel density

shadows

msaa

draw distance

water quality

Make sure SS is at 1.0. You're better off increasing pixel density. I would start at 1.0 pixel density (i.e. native headset resolution) at first before worrying about boosting that. Tweak the rest until you can get at least 40 fps. Also, there is a DCS update coming soon that promises much better VR performance!

edit: One more thing I forgot. Check out Kegetys VR mod: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I picked up the S today and have noticed a few things compared to my CV1. 1st. Big time aliasing compared to CV1. 2. Clarity outside the pit is horrible. That being said I wonder if it's the IPD setting that's causing the blurriness. That's kinda what it looks like. When you adjust IPD in Oculus home for CV1 you adjust the tab under the headset in and out so the vertical lines of the cross aren't blurry. When I use the software adjustment in the Oculus setup for the S I'm not seeing a difference visually that corresponds with the IPD number. Is that normal?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Here's another good option for those looking for earphones for the S: TIN T2

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

I picked up the S today and have noticed a few things compared to my CV1. 1st. Big time aliasing compared to CV1. 2. Clarity outside the pit is horrible. That being said I wonder if it's the IPD setting that's causing the blurriness. That's kinda what it looks like. When you adjust IPD in Oculus home for CV1 you adjust the tab under the headset in and out so the vertical lines of the cross aren't blurry. When I use the software adjustment in the Oculus setup for the S I'm not seeing a difference visually that corresponds with the IPD number. Is that normal?
People have been saying the same. On the CV1 the way to adjust the ipd made sense and you could tell if it worked or not. I've also used the software ipd in wmr and can't notice much. Unless I use my adjustment dial to set it on the odyssey. The out the cockpit textures on the rift S won't be as good because the headset resolution isn't as high as the other headsets (odyssey and odyssey+, vive pro, etc).

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Software IPD is a completely different beast. It can't replicate the act of actually moving the lenses and the displays. The optics are sharpest in the center, and if you want that center to match everyone's pupils, you have to be able to move the screen and panels accordingly. This is impossible with the Rift S because it uses a single panel. Software IPD affects world scale more than anything. It's not going to be able to correct for a severe IPD mismatch. Have you measured yours?

I've spent a few hours in the S now. I had a lot of trouble getting a good image it first. I was getting a lot of pupil swim (world distortion when moving my head side to side), and stutter. I found most of it was related to fit and position. The headset has to be stable and not moving around, and you have to make sure the headset is vertically and horizontally aligned with your pupils. Of course the closer you are to the optimal IPD, the better. A good test is to look at the left and right edges of your fov while staring straight ahead. You will inevitably get some blurring at the edges, but if one side looks clearer than the other, your headset is probably off center horizontally.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I have exactly the same experience as you. I thought I must have inadvertently touched the lens and got a finger print smear on it.

I'm new to VR and am loving it, but the smear effect is annoying.

IPD issue most likely.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It was IPD. It seems 63 is my number. I could push it all the way in on the CV1 without effecting it much. As to the aliasing, I used PD in DCS to get rid of it instead of MSA as it worked better. I think it will be the opposite with the S.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

After more testing it's not just the IPD. I can see that the clarity is better than the Rift in certain respects but I can't get a stable position and constantly have to adjust. I don't think it's going to work for me which means another two months until the Index is available.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a weird issue today where tracking reverted to 3DOF. Restarting oculus didn’t work, I had to unplug the USB and plug in again. Also, the microphone would not work, and again I had to unplug and replug. There still seem to be a lot of software issues...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Are you sure that you aren't at your guardian zone limit? Mine is just before the desk so when i lean foward, the passthrought kick in. I use this "feature" to watch the keyboard while in dcs :)

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

It's not that since I don't set a guardian boundary. From reading on Reddit it seems a rather common issue. . interestingly enough I hooked up my Rift-S to my secomd gaming rig and played a few hours of different games and it never occurred. Could be chipset or hardware conflict related. Time will tell.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Ok, after some further testing I found out I need to where my readers when using the S. I'm not sure why that is as I don't need them with the CV1. After figuring this out I flew for several hours online and it is an overall much cleaner image. I only need to lean slightly in to see the color map in the Hornet on the MPCD and make out the symbology and markings. That's a huge improvement as before I would need to zoom in to see and read it. So as far as image goes it's definitely an upgrade. However, as far as replacing the CV1 as the unit I'll use for the next 2 years hopefully, this won't cut it. If I didn't have to shell out another $400 it'd be great lol. But since I do, I'll probably return it and spend a bit more for the Index. I do not dig the halo head mount at all. It simply isn't as secure as the catchers mask style mount. Also the speakers are lacking which I already knew. Even though I can wear my headset fairly comfortably it's a pain in the ass when I need to alt tab. Lastly, the FOV seems smaller than the CV1. That more than anything is a deal breaker. I wish I'd had this in the beginning though as it has a much better image.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, after some further testing I found out I need to where my readers when using the S. I'm not sure why that is as I don't need them with the CV1. After figuring this out I flew for several hours online and it is an overall much cleaner image. I only need to lean slightly in to see the color map in the Hornet on the MPCD and make out the symbology and markings. That's a huge improvement as before I would need to zoom in to see and read it. So as far as image goes it's definitely an upgrade. However, as far as replacing the CV1 as the unit I'll use for the next 2 years hopefully, this won't cut it. If I didn't have to shell out another $400 it'd be great lol. But since I do, I'll probably return it and spend a bit more for the Index. I do not dig the halo head mount at all. It simply isn't as secure as the catchers mask style mount. Also the speakers are lacking which I already knew. Even though I can wear my headset fairly comfortably it's a pain in the ass when I need to alt tab. Lastly, the FOV seems smaller than the CV1. That more than anything is a deal breaker. I wish I'd had this in the beginning though as it has a much better image.

The thing where Oculus beats everybody , especially steamvr.

Is the dash interface, don't take the HMD off to alt tab grab the right controller and open dash, and open your desktop view.

With the s it's so much clearer I think I could use it for working.

Also enable the Pass through cam in dash settings/experimental.

If you switch to steamvr know they haven't solved the hotas controller bug yet that renders the entire steamvr UI completely unresponsive if you have a joystick device connected.

I have tried all the workarounds but to no avail.

If you ask valve about it their official stance to the issue "unplug your hotas"...

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and clarifying a few things for me. I dont have the Warthog, but my X52 isnt too bad for programming button presses. I am having difficulty with the big learning curve going from the Hog to the Tomcat at the moment though!

Any idea what I can do to reduce the fuzziness of text on the DDI. It almost hurts my eyes trying to read it and I need to to get really close to make it legible.

Thanks once again.

I don't have the Tomcat module but if you could always use the VR Zoom feature to quickly zoom in on just that panel.

Another suggestion would be to configure up a dedicated snap view that shows just that panel up close. As I mostly fly in the A-10C, using the CTS software I mentioned earlier, I have configured a hat switch on my joystick to give me a zoomed in view through the HUD when I press up (plus holding down a modifier button), left is my LEFT MFD Panel, Right is my RIGHT MFD Panel and Down is my CDU Panel. A quick double tap in any direction and my view reverts back to normal. I find it very useful as I can quickly get a nice zoomed in clear view of my TADS or Maverick/TGP screens instead of zooming or leaning in to them. I also have the VR Zoom key bound to a button on my throttle but I don't use that as much.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Very quick update if anyone else has this problem and thanks to all those who offered suggestions here or through PM. My S is working again and it's the strangest fix. I had to disable the Rift Audio and it works great in DCS, but as soon as the Rift audio is turned on it will crash when the cymbals reach their crescendo every time.

Thank again to all and if anyone has the issue I was having toss this out as a possible solution.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One is that sometimes (seems random) the DCS menu screen (and ultimately the cockpit) appears to be 2 inches from my face. In the cockpit, my face is literally against the front of the canopy. Sometimes I'm shifted to the right... One time, I was actually viewing the plane from the center of the canopy - if i leaned right a few inches I was outside the cockpit. Mostly, though, when I start the game, I'm way too far forward.

Thanks!

Here is a cockpit reposition trick I learned with my Track IR that also works great in VR. When you first start off in a mission, or even in the Hanger Menu and you aren't in the best position, simply move in the opposite direction from your ideal position, then click the Numpad 5 key (or whatever you have recenter view bound to). When you recenter, it will recenter the view from that NEW position you are sitting at, not from where the game thinks it should.

So, in your situation, if the menu panel is smack dab in your face, just lean in a few inches and then tap the recent key. For me, the default position in the A-10C is also about a foot too close to HUD, so i lean in about 2 inches to the screen, and I also lower my head just a tiny bit. After I hit the recent key I am further back in my seat and also sitting a bit higher.

Keep in mind that this is not a one for one correction. It is magnified. What I mean is that if you lean in just 1 inch (or for those of you on metric a few cm's), when you recenter, the new position will be adjusted in the opposite direction a lot more than that, so it takes some trial and error to get it just right.

This also works if you find your default position too far to either side. Again, lean a bit to the OPPOSITE side you want to the new position to center you to, then click the recenter view key.

One other thing to try is to use the IPD value within the VR menu of DCS. This actually doesn't appear to effect your focus point like the IPD setting in the HMD itself) but I found that setting this to a lower number pushes the screen further back, but it also begins to make everything else in the cockpit seem smaller, like I am a much bigger person. Setting it higher does the opposite, you will appear to be smaller and smaller the higher the number. Think of it like a cockpit scale adjustment. If I set it to 40, it makes everything in cockpit appear maybe 10% smaller than normal. A setting of 70 and perhaps everything is 10% bigger. Worth a try to see the effect. I think this was added when some people with Windows Mixed Reality headsets complained that the scale of everything did not seem to match what other HMDs had.

Good luck!

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

Very quick update if anyone else has this problem and thanks to all those who offered suggestions here or through PM. My S is working again and it's the strangest fix. I had to disable the Rift Audio and it works great in DCS, but as soon as the Rift audio is turned on it will crash when the cymbals reach their crescendo every time.

Thank again to all and if anyone has the issue I was having toss this out as a possible solution.

Glad to hear that you fix it. That reminds me in early PC days when Soundblaster conflict with some MB's causing GPU problems. Weird but true.

This is a software problem and will be fixed soon as they found our source of the problems no matter where it is. It is normal for such new hardware on early days soon after release.

Will do! Is there a way to automatically pull gfx settings for posting? I will say this - day 1 (May 22) when I got the Rift S, I left my graphics settings as is (high/nearly maxed). When I was just now experiencing the "jitter/jiggle", I had lowered the gfx settings to "minimum".

So, I will check my FPS if I can figure out how..

Thanks again!

Easiest way is to just capture a screenshot of the graphics page from within the settings panel in DCS. Just tap the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then alt tab out to your desktop. Launch Paint, or any other graphics program you may use and paste and crop the image then attach it to your posting here on the forum. That's how I do it.

Madmatt

It simply isn't as secure as the catchers mask style mount.

I'm finding the halo way more comfortable and secure. Are you wearing the back down near the occipital bun, similar to the old strap?