Oculus quest or rift s

RagnarBSE

Quest is not compatible. Need the S or another headset that connects to the PC.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Quest is not compatible. Need the S or another headset that connects to the PC.

The Answer is actually Yes and No at the same time.

With additional software like Alvr, you will be able to use Quest on your PC as well with the benefit of wireless connection.

BUT!!! Don't take it for granted before you see how this will function in practice. Just take it all in consideration before decide Quest or S.

Edited by wormeaten

It has been said by the developers of such streaming apps, that you shouldn't expect too much.

Good enough for streaming some video, but not for normal gameplay in 6DOF with smooth FPS.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It has been said by the developers of such streaming apps, that you shouldn't expect too much.

Good enough for streaming some video, but not for normal gameplay in 6DOF with smooth FPS.

One would never get the same quality of image in a game like DCS in the Quest as would get on a PC with a powerful GPU. It would be way limited.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Discussion turned to streaming, not running games on the headset itself.

Though not sure what OP had in mind.

My Quest received yesterday and had a short look into Riftcat today. Will try to install Riftcat to my Quest later today and can give you a short impression afterwards.

As I'm a VR noob, I'm struggeling with my settings for the Vive Pro currently so if it works, any perfromance statements might be related to my very basic Knowledge of VR. But let's see if it works at all.

Battery lifetime was about 2.5 hours yesterday for Quest stuff, Quality watching a test movie was close to Vive pro with lens mod. Right now I'm happy with my Quest for casual gaming, let's see if it works witn DCS as well.

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

First feedback: Quest and DCS work with Riftcat but from a quality / frame rate perspective I‘ll have to do some homework as I‘m having some issues with my Vive pro as well with the quest. My framerates are way too low.

Regarding visual quality: I‘d say it‘s close to my Vive pro with lens mod but due to my framerate issues I can‘t give a useful recommendation at the moment. It looks like it could work quite well but I‘m not sure if there will be a problem when flying online as it seems that my 5GHz router is well utilized by the Quest already. Will give you an update when I had time to do some tweaking / optimizing

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Like I say before Air Light VR is the solution. Looks like Quest is a better and significantly cheaper solution than Vive PRO for all those who can't play without OLED.

This is definitely required proper testing from real DCS players.

To remind you Quest + proper WiFi router is around 500$ and Vive PRO + controllers + WiFi module around 1700$.

Bugger me! Thanks for that - I had a Quest on order with my Rift S but cancelled it - now I'll reorder. Was really hoping this would be possible but never expected it so soon. :thumbup:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Yup, so I returned my Rift S (still got my CV1 though) and my Quest arrives tomorrow - I'll report back on how well I find it working with DCS World.

Quite excited, though.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Great so we will have reviews from first hands in real DCS usage.

Have in mind how fast your WiFi is, it could be a bottleneck. But any way proper WiFi router is much cheaper than that WiFi module for CV1.

This could be a solution for those with IPD problems or like OLED black more than LCD clarity.

Just imagine lay down free in sofa, without the wires to watch some "educational" 3D movie.

Back in the days when I was experimenting with my LG G5 most of the routers was 2.4 GHz and you will need 5 for better bandwidth.

Here it is the best seller on Amazon.

Edited by wormeaten

• 4 months later...