Stuttering Rift S

Coxy_99

So i just brought the rift S, Updated the software, APP, And the firmwire, Installed blah blah set it all up no problem :thumbup: After 5 mins DCS stutters and my desktop stutters. I then need to restart my pc for it to function properly again. Could i be lacking PSU power?

Jump in DCS most settings being high or max from trackir

I go into dcs VR options

attachment.php?attachmentid=210688&stc=1&d=1558790569

attachment.php?attachmentid=210687&stc=1&d=1558790569

Sytem settings:

PSU: CX850M

GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

CPU: Intel® Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Memory: 32 GB RAM (31.94 GB RAM usable)

Current resolution: 3840 x 2160, 60Hz

So i just brought the rift S, Updated the software, APP, And the firmwire, Installed blah blah set it all up no problem After 5 mins DCS stutters and my desktop stutters. I then need to restart my pc for it to function properly again. Could i be lacking PSU power?

Jump in DCS most settings being high or max from trackir

I go into dcs VR options

attachment.php?attachmentid=210688&stc=1&d=1558790569

attachment.php?attachmentid=210687&stc=1&d=1558790569

Sytem settings:

PSU: CX850M

GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

CPU: Intel® Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Memory: 32 GB RAM (31.94 GB RAM usable)

Current resolution: 3840 x 2160, 60Hz

Not sure about the exact root cause, but I'm pretty sure, your hardware cannot run VR at PD=2 and msaa 2x simultaneously!

That's quite a massive load and you're clearly limited by the CPU.

Try at least to lower PD to 1.2 and even disable msaa in a first instance, just to reduce load and check.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Its not a dcs issue its a VR one, Im going to try and re install it if not im shipping it back and ill have my money back, Reading alot of issues on the rift-s, Ive spent all day trying for a trouble shoot, Rift-s sucks *** And i shall give it the worst review ever :)

Sounds about right. You need to turn down the PD. I run lower settings than you and have a better rig. Id try pd 1.2 and raise it from there. Also reduce all shadows to basic levels. Welcome to VR in DCS. VR in DCS is much more demanding than pancake mode.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Your settings are WAY too high with that hardware.

PD to 1.4

Drop your shadows to medium.

Heat blur off.

Lens effects off.

Terrain shadows to flat only. (Shadows are a killer for VR)

Give that a try. With my rig at those settings with the Rift S, I get smooth visuals between 50 and 80 fps for most situations.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Its NOT a dcs issue its a rift one its also happening on desktop and in other VR games. I was hoping if anyone else run into this issue with a fix before i send it back.

It wasnt clear it was other games. You might try a different usb power port, or powered external hub if you think its that, but with an 850w PS i kinda doubt it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its NOT a dcs issue its a rift one its also happening on desktop and in other VR games. I was hoping if anyone else run into this issue with a fix before i send it back.

Did you have a VR headset before your Rift S? You may be on to something with suspecting power issues. Not sure about the Rift S, but the CV1 is so demanding on USB bus power, I had to install a dedicated USB card that gets its power directly from my 1200 watt PSU. Before I did that, it had all kinds of crazy issues.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Settings are way to high, disable all usb power saving profiles. If your taxed out on usb plug ins may be a good idea to get a external usb hub for the accessories and have rift plugged into the good ones on computer.

Have no issues at all with Rift S and that’s how I roll above

Sounds like your computer has the issues power wise to me, how are the temps?

Edited by Sniper175

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

YES IVE BEEN TOLD THE SETTINGS ARE HIGH, HOWEVER................ The stutters ARE NOT DCS related but related to my PC in general, After un-installing and re installing going through all the setup it still does the same thing, Ive never owned a orculus rift, Ive opened a ticket with Orculus to try and resolve the issue, Right now its still plugged in and no stutters as soon as i use the rift, 30 mins in it stutters (Even out of VR, All my drivers are upto date, Im getting quite frustrated with the product.

YES IVE BEEN TOLD THE SETTINGS ARE HIGH, HOWEVER................ The stutters ARE NOT DCS related but related to my PC in general, After un-installing and re installing going through all the setup it still does the same thing, Ive never owned a orculus rift, Ive opened a ticket with Orculus to try and resolve the issue, Right now its still plugged in and no stutters as soon as i use the rift, 30 mins in it stutters (Even out of VR, All my drivers are upto date, Im getting quite frustrated with the product.

Cpu gpu temps ok? You have latest gpu drivers? Latest windows,updates?

My guess would be faulty power supply linking to the usb hub, as the rift is a pretty significant power draw off the usb. Tried unplugging all other usb connections? Just run the rift and see?

Yes maybe, so normally with all our joysticks and accessories we generally tap out the power on the usb hubs. So when I had this problem I got an external usb hub that’s powered of a power supply plugged into wall. This remedied power issue with usb side.

So for you I would unplug all joysticks for now unplug rift and restart. One at desktop plug rift in again and let the computer basically reissue usb order if you will with out plugging anything else in try the rift in dcs or whatever is causing the issue.

If that helps then ya get a external usb hub or one you put into slot but I recommend external as it will be powered from wall and not computer.

This is what I installed in my rig to solve my power issues with my CV1. I imagine that, since the Rift S uses LCD displays, instead of OLED displays, that it is probably even more demanding of good USB bus power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't think the old Ctrl1,2,3,4 work anymore for ASW control. What did occulus tech support say?

And this is all games not just DCS?

Have you tried different USB ports or a powered hub?

The only other thing I can think of might be some sort of wonky bios setting.

I know it’s a simple thing you may have already tried. I quite often had bad stutters and read I quick solution to simply play in full screen mode and not windowed mode. Cut my stutters down by loads. Don’t know the how’s or why’s but seems to work for me in DCS. Don’t how to resolve your other games mind you

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Coxy_99, is it possible you have Intel Turbo Boost Max running? DCS hates it. I spent several hours troubleshooting similar symptoms before I figured this one out, and I've been in systems architecture for 20+ yrs.

More info:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220401

If you're looking for a good USB powered hub this is a really good choice. 4amp with individual switching. Some other games and apps I use complain when the Warthog is plugged in, plus when I'm flying I like to turn off unused USB devices. This one does the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F69PWZB/

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Its not just DCS but all VR games interacting, With dcs and games being window and fullscreen, Ill be honest Tech support, Are saying A.I suite and some other program but ive removed them, I dont overclock either. No idea what it is right now :(

Coxy on your 1st post one thing is wrong : you have Vsync ticked in DCS settings and that must be unticked when using VR (VR as an external device has its own Vsync, so it conflicts). Same for other VR games if you use to tick Vsync ingame or even force a Vsync in nvidia panel.

But this can't be related to : it works fine 30 mn then everything go wrong.

Coxy on your 1st post one thing is wrong : you have Vsync ticked in DCS settings and that must be unticked when using VR (VR as an external device has its own Vsync, so it conflicts). Same for other VR games if you use to tick Vsync ingame or even force a Vsync in nvidia panel.

But this can't be related to : it works fine 30 mn then everything go wrong.

Let me try this in CP first, Thanks for the pointer, So in CP, Vertical sync is using 3D application, VR pre rendered frames 1, Power is maximum performance, In Set up Gysnc the box is ticked enable G-sync, Ill un tick and see what happens.