PC restarting whilst running DCS

Hi all,

I have an issue with my pc. Been running dcs for 5+ years and on my current setup for about 2 years. With the addition of the new gpu last year. Recently, im playing dcs, my pc will just restart. Ive checked all the temps and my cpu is averaging 55-60c whilst playing and the 1080ti is around 75-80 under load. There is an overclock involved but I have removed that and get the same results.

Im not getting any error messege etc, just a restart.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on?

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First things first, you need to disable the automatic shutdown of windows 10.

Then the next time this happens you should get a BSOD that might point to a driver that is either going to be an indication of hardware failure, or faulty drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03413399 <--this explains how to disable automatic shutdowns in windows 10.

Hopefully, it's something as simple as a driver update or flashing your bios rather than a piece of hardware on its last legs. PSU would be my first guess if updating driver software and windows updates don't get you sorted.

Check your motherboard manufacturer's product page to see if any drivers/bios updates are available, run windows update through cortana just to be sure there's not a pending download or something. Make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers and possibly use DDU and reinstall them just to be on the safe side. You might find your fix without having to experience another BSOD there.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a look and come back to you. The 1st few restarts happened after I updated to the newest Nvidia drivers so backed dated it to the previous driver but the problem persisted. I've ordered a bigger power supply also, a corsair RM850i as I'll be upgrading everything over the coming 6 months

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all,

I have an issue with my pc. Been running dcs for 5+ years and on my current setup for about 2 years. With the addition of the new gpu last year. Recently, im playing dcs, my pc will just restart. Ive checked all the temps and my cpu is averaging 55-60c whilst playing and the 1080ti is around 75-80 under load. There is an overclock involved but I have removed that and get the same results.

Im not getting any error messege etc, just a restart.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229469

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Please, please, don't tell me a bigger :chair: But a higher quality PSU. 850w is good.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3714338&postcount=52

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3713321&postcount=51

By bigger I meant an extra 100watts on what I have. But the RM850i is a 80+ gold lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, I followed your advice. All drivers are up to date, disabled auto restart. After about 15-20mins of dcs, pc restarts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting discovery. So all of these crashes have been using the stable version. I've just flown for an hour over Dubai on OB and no crash. Not that I'm blaming dcs lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting discovery. So all of these crashes have been using the stable version. I've just flown for an hour over Dubai on OB and no crash. Not that I'm blaming dcs lol

My money is on Nvidia driver as for the bad guy. It seems to hold in OB tho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

idk i've been using 417.35 since the day it released without any issues. I only use openbeta but there've been more than one update to OB in the time that it's been released afaicr.

Did you get a blue screen of death before the PC restarted after disabling automatic restarts? In my experience it usually points me to what needs fixing. Not directly, but with a little help from google.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

saying this happened after a nvidia driver update, run DDU in safe mode, which can be downloaded from the link above and then reinstall nvidia drivers just to be sure something janky didn't occur with your driver installation. You'll have to re-add dcs.exe in nvcontrol panel of course.

There have also been several pretty important windows updates since oct. but im sure you checked that already.

Or IMO - just stick to open beta if it's working lol. There's really no need to have both stable and open beta installed on your system and most MP servers seem to run OB anyway.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Jester,

Very, very first thing for you to do is get a flashlight and watch the cooling fan on your power supply.

PSU fans often fail, because they're usually cheap plain-bearing ones and they often run continuously. So, your computer works normally, and is fine for normal everyday stuff, but when you put a really heavy load on it (DCS World!!) that uses lots of wattage, the PSU works for a little while, gradually overheats, and shuts itself down to prevent damage.

If your PSU fan isn't working, maybe the PSU is fine, but needs a new fan. If you have another working PSU, then you can try it out.

Do NOT just buy a ridiculously huge power supply. A single GTX 1080 Ti and one CPU shouldn't require more than about 500 Watts. Nvidia recommends a 600W PSU for the 1080 Ti, but the card itself uses about 250-300W most of the time when heavily loaded, a typical fast CPU uses 50 to 100W in gaming, and the rest of the system uses penny-ante wattage. Excessively big PSUs are inefficient, cost too much, and are completely unnecessary.

I also have a 1080 Ti (Amp Extreme) and a 4.5 GHz i5 processor, and bought a 750W unit which I now realize is drastic overkill, I should have just gotten a cheaper one, but it has a dual ball-bearing fan and should last forever. My system, when heavily loaded with CPU and GPU benchmarks uses about 450-500W max (I checked it with an ammeter on the power cable).

Check your PSU fan first before blowing any dough! It should run under heavy load.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Jester,

Very, very first thing for you to do is get a flashlight and watch the cooling fan on your power supply.

PSU fans often fail, because they're usually cheap plain-bearing ones and they often run continuously. So, your computer works normally, and is fine for normal everyday stuff, but when you put a really heavy load on it (DCS World!!) that uses lots of wattage, the PSU works for a little while, gradually overheats, and shuts itself down to prevent damage.

If your PSU fan isn't working, maybe the PSU is fine, but needs a new fan. If you have another working PSU, then you can try it out.

Do NOT just buy a ridiculously huge power supply. A single GTX 1080 Ti and one CPU shouldn't require more than about 500 Watts. Nvidia recommends a 600W PSU for the 1080 Ti, but the card itself uses about 250-300W most of the time when heavily loaded, a typical fast CPU uses 50 to 100W in gaming, and the rest of the system uses penny-ante wattage. Excessively big PSUs are inefficient, cost too much, and are completely unnecessary.

I also have a 1080 Ti (Amp Extreme) and a 4.5 GHz i5 processor, and bought a 750W unit which I now realize is drastic overkill, I should have just gotten a cheaper one, but it has a dual ball-bearing fan and should last forever. My system, when heavily loaded with CPU and GPU benchmarks uses about 450-500W max (I checked it with an ammeter on the power cable).

Check your PSU fan first before blowing any dough! It should run under heavy load.

AD

with a 500w PSU you cannot even run 1 stresstest across the CPU + GPU without crashing and risking the life of your components when you get that close to max rated output. Add a "not-top-tier" PSU into that mix and you have a coupon for a fried cap or VRM.

I dont know how otherwise to say, your advice is not good imho. Sorry.

Cutting corners with a PSU is a bad advice, was and will be.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Better to have too much wattage than not enough. Not enough can cause damage. I'm fairly certain most general consumers aren't running around with multi-meters. And frankly there are generally enough sales going on throughout the year that you can find a decent modular 750w or higher psu for pricetags that you can recover from pretty quickly. Not to mention if you buy from like evga there's a 5 or 10 year warranty on a psu. Buy an extended warranty they'll cross ship should something go wrong.

We dont even know that this guys issue IS his PSU, but it sounded like he was going to get a new one at some point anyway, along with a new build.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Before determining what max wattage PSU you need, you should determine what operating wattage your pc needs and this where most of the people fail. This is why wattage calculator exist. https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

Look carefully the lower graph (GPU usage) R9 390 (275w) when playing games Skyrim, Fallout4, League. The card don't consume 275w constantly. Even when the (low sample rate) monitoring tells you 275w. This is why a wattage calculator will always give you a lower wattage than the max wattage of the components. And this is why a tech guy will tell you that you don't need 750-850w for a single card.

yABp9a0.png

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.