F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The communication has been excellent. The person who didn't like the "hype" seems to be at odds with the rest of our community - because we love dev progress updates!

Heatblur's comms have left me under no illusion whatsoever that the release date might end up being the last possible winter date. AND THAT'S TOTALLY FINE. Why? Because this is a once in a lifetime release. It's true. I've been waiting for this for 30 years and if it needs more time then we all know that good things come to those who wait. (Guinness told us that ;P)

PC specs:

This. Hype 5 weeks before release, not 5 months!

Either they release some information and get hated on for taking too long or they don't release information and get hated on for poor communication.

You're ****ed with this community either way, aren't you.

The funny bit is that nothing the devs do can actually fix the situation. They say Winter 2018/2019, normal people assume instantly "right, that's funny.. so it'll be March 21st..." and go with that.

Other people become overly excited and immediately assume it'll be the first date of Winter. God knows why, but they'll stand on the mat every single day checking if DCS has an update with the F14. And every day they get a little more disappointed until they vent on some forum or on reddit. This is ridiculous.

Think about that for a while. Nothing (!) Heatblur has said is incorrect so far about the F14. When they phrase stuff vaguely, they have a reason for it. It's not to piss you off, it's so you can't later go "But you said..." And discussions like this one are the reason for that.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Either they release some information and get hated on for taking too long or they don't release information and get hated on for poor communication.

The funny bit is that nothing the devs do can actually fix the situation. They say Winter 2018/2019, normal people assume instantly "right, that's funny.. so it'll be March 21st..." and go with that.

Other people become overly excited and immediately assume it'll be the first date of Winter. God knows why, but they'll stand on the mat every single day checking if DCS has an update with the F14. And every day they get a little more disappointed until they vent on some forum or on reddit. This is ridiculous.

Think about that for a while. Nothing (!) Heatblur has said is incorrect so far about the F14. When they phrase stuff vaguely, they have a reason for it. It's not to piss you off, it's so you can't later go "But you said..." And discussions like this one are the reason for that.

Indeed. As far as I am concerned, it will be out on March 21st. Meanwhile, I am still open to the fact that things can go wrong and it may be delayed. This is the real world and not a world filled with fairy dust and moonbeams. Plans go awry and guarantees are just words no matter how sincerely they are offered, or how hard working and talented the staff are.

In my experience, you plan a timescale, add 50% fudge factor and it nearly always still comes down to the wire.

If it is released earlier, that is a bonus.

This is the only sane way to view preordering.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Indeed. As far as I am concerned, it will be out on March 21st. Meanwhile, I am still open to the fact that things can go wrong and it may be delayed. This is the real world and not a world filled with fairy dust and moonbeams. Plans go awry and guarantees are just words no matter how sincerely they are offered or how hard working and talented the staff are.

In my experience, you plan a timescale, add 50% fudge factor and it nearly always still comes down to the wire.

If it is released earlier, that is a bonus.

This is the only sane way to view preordering.

It is the adult way.

Viewpoints are my own.

All are entitled to their individual opinions good or bad. Being self righteous in either direction and condemning the different points of views isn't being an adult. It is being narrow minded.

Classic.

Seems a little narrow-minded and judgmental though.

Viewpoints are my own.

All are entitled to their individual opinions good or bad. Being self righteous in either direction and condemning the different points of views isn't being an adult. It is being narrow minded.

Welcome to the DCS forums, where every single person with a strong opinion thinks their point of view is the only right one. Add to that the usual arguments of 'being a customer', 'I have paid, so I am entitled to..' and one can sum up all the heated discussions on the forums, over a piece of entertainment software.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Welcome to the DCS forums, where every single person with a strong opinion thinks their point of view is the only right one. Add to that the usual arguments of 'being a customer', 'I have paid, so I am entitled to..' and one can sum up all the heated discussions on the forums, over a piece of entertainment software.

Truth.

That’s social media today, isn’t it? Folks with platforms that they haven’t earned holding forth on subjects that they aren’t qualified to judge. It’s all wrapped up in a weird idea of self entitlement.

Entertaining at times though.

Viewpoints are my own.

You misunderstand. I'm not a a fan of all the pitchforks either, but this is the worst I've seen it. Whether you think those people are reasonable or not makes no difference - they're here. The best course of action is to try and understand why, and not repeat the same mistakes. And honestly, saying there's nothing the devs could have done better isn't true in my opinion - they did make a mistake.

No other developer has done a countdown that turned out to be just for a cinematic reveal for a product that may not release for up to 6 months later, and didn't provide a specific deadline date either.

Again, before you flame me, I'm not in the whining camp, I'm just trying to understand why people got annoyed - and I don't think simply telling them they're wrong is going to help.

You misunderstand. I'm not a a fan of all the pitchforks either, but this is the worst I've seen it. Whether you think those people are reasonable or not makes no difference - they're here. The best course of action is to try and understand why, and not repeat the same mistakes. And honestly, saying there's nothing the devs could have done better isn't true in my opinion - they did make a mistake.

No other developer has done a countdown that turned out to be just for a cinematic reveal for a product that may not release for up to 6 months later, and didn't provide a specific deadline date either.

Again, before you flame me, I'm not in the whining camp, I'm just trying to understand why people got annoyed - and I don't think simply telling them they're wrong is going to help.

I'm not saying you're being unreasonable. I've tried to lay down why they are here precisely. This has everything to do with the kid that cannot wait for Christmas morning to open his presents. It's the same attitude. They want it. They really want it. Don't we understand? That's the main reason discussions like these happen.

They aren't actually upset with HB. They just have nothing better to do than nag, nag, nag. Once the F14 is out, they'll have forgotten about all of this within a couple hours. Then they'll be happy about the F14 for a week or until they think they can handle it to their satisfaction and then they'll remember... "Oh wait... someone announced the F-15E (or F-16 or whatever the next module is), didn't they?" and the cycle begins anew, with research on what the dev said when and who heard what... and come the time close to release of the F-15E, the same types of people (not necessarily the actual same individuals, although the likelihood is there) will be here saying... well, pretty much what they said just now. And for the F/A-18C. And the AV-8B... and I'm guessing literally every module before that.

That's the "why". :)

About the countdown... Not sure how your group approached it, but my mates and I looked at it... said "yeah, they haven't hyped it nearly enough to release it now" and decided it wasn't the release but some other reveal, possibly the release date. When you see stuff like that, stop your emotions, think for a second on how games and modules are released and then come to the sane conclusion. It calms your nerves. ;)

The worst outcome is, you could be surprised by a surprise release. Who wouldn't want that as the worst outcome?

Edited by Slant

I'm not saying you're being unreasonable. I've tried to lay down why they are here precisely. This has everything to do with the kid that cannot wait for Christmas morning to open his presents. It's the same attitude. They want it. They really want it. Don't we understand? That's the main reason discussions like these happen.

Nope, you're still talking as if right or wrong even enters into this - it doesn't.

Oh and to use your Christmas analogy, HB waved the presents at the kids then told them they couldn't have them yet.

Nope, you're still talking as if right or wrong even enters into this - it doesn't.

Oh and to use your Christmas analogy, HB waved the presents at the kids then told them they couldn't have them yet.

Great lesson. Parents should give the gifts to someone who deserves them.

This isn’t a scandal or travesty. Development is difficult, it’s simply not ready. Deal with it or ask for a refund.

Viewpoints are my own.

Screeching rants of "F-14 NAO! U PROMISED!!1!" will only serve to piss people off and paint you as a childish ass.

It's not at all productive, and the product won't be in your hands any faster. Heatblur was very clear about the release window in October, and I don't want them to stop communicating with us because of this infantile f*ckery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

The thread is entitled Release Date Discussions for a reason. Between the fanboys who are worried about upsetting HB to the point they will no longer communicate with their customer base and the certain individuals who are just simply rude to everyone in multiple threads because they do not agree with a specific point of view - geez get over yourselves. Everyone is allowed an opinion and the permission to express the same whether it is complaining or praising. Otherwise - delete the threads, delete the forums and ban everyone one. That will solve it! Give me a break. It is all part of the hype of which HB is counting on (justifiably so) as would any company selling a product. There would be much to be concerned over if there were no discussion, hype, etc. DCS is entertainment of which all of this a part.

Banal, generic, boring.

Thèse “discussions” are emotional outbursts not commensurate with the situation. When you find yourself lecturing on your right to complain, you are admitting that your complaint is trivial.

Make better use of your time.

Viewpoints are my own.

I don't recall saying something about right or wrong. I merely pointed out what's happening. I answered your "why" question. You can dislike the answer, but it's there and it's obvious, too.

Telling people they're wrong, even if they are, wont make them go away. That's all I'm trying to say.

So we tell them they are right, even though we know they are wrong, in an attempt to rid ourselves of their nonsense and rub some soothing balm on their over entitled and needy egos. That`s some grade A bullsh1t thinking right there.

Edited by Zoomer

Banal, generic, boring.

Thèse “discussions” are emotional outbursts not commensurate with the situation. When you find yourself lecturing on your right to complain, you are admitting that your complaint is trivial.

Make better use of your time.

Right. And the point is the emotional outbursts are just as prevalent from the fanboys.

The thread is entitled Release Date Discussions for a reason. Between the fanboys who are worried about upsetting HB to the point they will no longer communicate with their customer base and the certain individuals who are just simply rude to everyone in multiple threads because they do not agree with a specific point of view - geez get over yourselves. Everyone is allowed an opinion and the permission to express the same whether it is complaining or praising. Otherwise - delete the threads, delete the forums and ban everyone one. That will solve it! Give me a break. It is all part of the hype of which HB is counting on (justifiably so) as would any company selling a product. There would be much to be concerned over if there were no discussion, hype, etc. DCS is entertainment of which all of this a part.

So far, this post has been the most accurate assessment of the situation here in the mosh pit of pathetic ejaculated opinions...bravo SM...to the rest of you, "Are you not entertained"???

Picking up on the trend here with Victory's insult attempts. Appears "Mr. NATOPS" also keeps WEBSTERS by his bed and is in the B section right now. "Banal, generic , boring" Given that boring is the definition of banal. So, NATOPS and WEBSTERS on the side table for ready reference. Who is banal? LOL. Since you are still in the Bs - try Bombastic on for size. Suits your personality well. Keep up the hard work though, and let me know when you get to the Ps - I have a couple more for you. :)

No, I’m mostly appalled and annoyed.

Do you not normally socialize with articulate, educated people? Good grief, that’s eighth grade vocabulary.

I see why you are against reading NATOPS. You can’t.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

I understand your disappointment, but it's directly at odds with how development works (at least for us). It's not a zero sum game. :)

Well, e.g.:

• LANTIRN went from being planned as barebones at EA to basically complete.
  • JESTER might be able to operate LANTIRN (not sure on this one yet)
  • New JESTER stuff (G incapacitation, injuries, more variation, more polish, bugfixing)
  • De-weathering some stuff that was too extreme
  • More custom foley soundwork
  • ..etc

Really??Why??:cry:

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here