TPOD unexpected update.

Zeus67

Hi folks, so Open Beta was updated and along the usual updates a surprise package was delivered to all proud AV-8B NA owners:

An partially functional TPOD.

Yes, it is working. Unfortunately it still is a work in progress.

What you can do with it:

Lock stationary targets.

Locked targets can become aircraft targets for weapons release.

Use the TDC.

Fire the laser.

Have the DMT and weapons use the laser for weapons guidance.

What you still cannot do with it:

Lock moving targets.

TPOD slave.

Transfer targets to the Mavericks.

Also, it is buggy so don't be surprised if you have unexpected behavior. After all it is a work in progress and it wasn't supposed to be released to you yet, only to the beta testers.

Well, c'est la vie.

Enjoy the TPOD.

BTW, you will need to read the updated pocket guide which is not available yet, in order to learn how to use the TPOD. Because the AV-8B NA handles it quite differently than the A-10C does.

Just in case, the updated pocket guide is in the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwxk88479v98thh/AV8BNA%20Pocket%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

P.S.: I just flew the Open Beta version and it is not the latest TPOD version so the bugs are there and sometimes they bite. No, you won't get a CTD but you can get unexpected weapons behavior. After all this is a development version that was accidentally released.

I'll stick this thread so I can get your reactions to it so you can help me fix it faster.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you possibly add a version number on the cover to pocket guide updates? Please?

Sure, will do that for the official update release.

This is an internal update for the beta testers but since the partially functional TPOD was released then I made it available to everybody as well.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

So is anyone else having trouble slewing the TGP? TGP is in AR mode, TDC is selected, my TDC buttons (not Axis) is mapped to my HOTAS. I put the targeting box over a target at range, then when I try to slew with the TDC it snaps immediately to the DMT.

So is anyone else having trouble slewing the TGP? TGP is in AR mode, TDC is selected, my TDC buttons (not Axis) is mapped to my HOTAS. I put the targeting box over a target at range, then when I try to slew with the TDC it snaps immediately to the DMT.

It probably is in SLAVE mode. Select AR/PT. Either one will work since PT is not working yet.

That is one of the things that I fixed but did not make to this release.

Now whenever you use the TDC, it automatically selects AREA TRACKING (AR) if it is in INR or SLAVE mode.

Could you possibly add a version number on the cover to pocket guide updates? Please?

+1. Or just name it XXX_Guide_22Dec17 in the PDF file name.

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Zeus! By far, you're all over this. Yeoman effort by all means!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Ok, got it to work for one shot / one kill and then things got interesting.

I put four Tiger APCs at the abandoned airfield in 1.5 Open Beta. Started in flight, coming straight in from the sea at 20,000'.

I could slew it with TDC underlined and it settled on the target nicely. Wide / Narrow FOV worked fine as did the Zoom steps (in FLIR, at max zoom, this thing can see beyond what's being rendered .. I could watch terrain drawing itself into view in the very far distance.)

Armed the laser, put it in LSR, AG Mode / CCIP Delivery using "TLAR" ranging (That Looks About Right) and pickled off a GBU-12. Clicked "FIRE" on the laser (confirmed by flashing "L" symbol) and BOOM! .. shacked one vehicle.

Extended about 20 miles, reversed course, slewed over to another vehicle down below, tried to pickle at about the same range, fired the laser and watched the bomb head off blindly into the sea. Never acquired the laser spot.

Hit the "REJECT" pinkie button on my stick to recenter the entire rig, extended about 20 miles, reversed course, slewed the TPOD to the airfield, acquired another vehicle, at about the same distance as the first and second passes, pickled a bomb, fired the laser and watched the bomb track perfectly .. to the spot of the first target I had locked up! LOL...

For some reason, despite hitting the scene reject, the laser never let go of it's first target location. I did not try the OFFON Interface (that's "turn it off and back on again") to see if that cleared the "memory"

But hey, for a bonus "Ooops, didn't mean to give it to you guys yet..." it was a fun little test.

I have lots of questions now as to how it's supposed to work, but I'll lay out and let the smarter people continue to make an already killer module, even better!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Thanks

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

Ok, got it to work for one shot / one kill and then things got interesting.

I put four Tiger APCs at the abandoned airfield in 1.5 Open Beta. Started in flight, coming straight in from the sea at 20,000'.

I could slew it with TDC underlined and it settled on the target nicely. Wide / Narrow FOV worked fine as did the Zoom steps (in FLIR, at max zoom, this thing can see beyond what's being rendered .. I could watch terrain drawing itself into view in the very far distance.)

Armed the laser, put it in LSR, AG Mode / CCIP Delivery using "TLAR" ranging (That Looks About Right) and pickled off a GBU-12. Clicked "FIRE" on the laser (confirmed by flashing "L" symbol) and BOOM! .. shacked one vehicle.

Extended about 20 miles, reversed course, slewed over to another vehicle down below, tried to pickle at about the same range, fired the laser and watched the bomb head off blindly into the sea. Never acquired the laser spot.

Hit the "REJECT" pinkie button on my stick to recenter the entire rig, extended about 20 miles, reversed course, slewed the TPOD to the airfield, acquired another vehicle, at about the same distance as the first and second passes, pickled a bomb, fired the laser and watched the bomb track perfectly .. to the spot of the first target I had locked up! LOL...

For some reason, despite hitting the scene reject, the laser never let go of it's first target location. I did not try the OFFON Interface (that's "turn it off and back on again") to see if that cleared the "memory"

But hey, for a bonus "Ooops, didn't mean to give it to you guys yet..." it was a fun little test.

I have lots of questions now as to how it's supposed to work, but I'll lay out and let the smarter people continue to make an already killer module, even better!

Same problem. Even if the laser is off, the DMT/LST tracks the old spot :D

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Same problem. Even if the laser is off, the DMT/LST tracks the old spot :D

Remember that it is still WiP.

Well i gotta say, that you guys are doing a really good job with the harrier!

I love it even in its present shape, and are looking forward to the coming updates.

And your forum presence about little things are awesome, great of you to keep in touch with the Community!

Keep up the good work, but dont forget to have a great holiday and a merry christmas!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vincere Est Totum

Even easyer: DSL delivery. Dive from 20.000 ft ASL, put the pipper on the target, pull the stick back and when the target is under your nose, pickle. Then fire the laser, trim your plane and eat some popcorn while the MPCD show goes on. :D

I put my VV on the TD box, press the "AG target undesignate / NWS" HOTAS command and TDC down just after. That way, your pod aims at the same area and you can make another target laser designation.

Well, of course, all of that is improvisation to help this WIP TGpod work. By the way, I'm happy to be able to use it. Thanks for the unexpected update, Razbam. :smilewink:

if you fly night mission you see small bright dots with your NVG of all the previous laser spots(some midair). this MIGHT cause a lot of issues in Multiplayer when 10 people pepper the target area with thier laser (chrismaslights) :)

Also, is the Range of the laser realy only around 6-7 NM?

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

This really works! You mark the target with the TPOD, make sure you have the right code, eg 1688. You fire the laser and then switch to the DMT, that you put in LST mode. It will track the laser spot that yiu make with your TPOD. Then just drop a GBU 12 ! Shack!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I have seen so far in version 1.5.8.12823.414

Single player, at night. Aircraft is carrying 7 GBU-12, TGP on station 5, cold start.

- Only laser code that works is 1688, tried other but non seem to work.

- When ever the Tpod is slewed, it seem to create a aim point under the aircraft, like TOO mode.

- I have been acquiring the target with the Tpod in HTS mode. Then turning back to TDC (not TDC ). Pressing the AG Target Undesignate/NWS/FOV. The TGP should stay on the target. Then using the DMT, TV mode to lock the target. Once bombs are release in auto, switch back to HTS mode, activate the laser and ensure crosshairs where on the target. Also used a left hand turn to try to maintain TGP line of sight open. Altitude was 4k to 7K and speed at around 400 knots. Weather was dynamics (6 systems) temp around -10C.

This worked well for several targets.

- After rearmed and refuel, re-attempted this method but every bomb when to the last target of the first run. Rearmed both on land and on the Tarawa with no changes. I also completely remove the pod and re loaded during the the rearmed to no effect. I did not try different station nor in multiplayer.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..