** F-14 Update! - F-14 Pilot Testing Session / Trip Report! **

Cobra847

Hi Everyone!

We’ve just returned from our second research trip of this year to the U.S!

The first trip of this year was conducted by the art team back in april to collect boring,
totally
unexciting visual reference stuff.

The main goal of this trip was for the engineering and research team to meet with SMEs and give them a hands on session with our F-14.

Most important to us was to receive detailed in-person feedback on our Flight Modeling, and to then apply that feedback to our F-14.

We were also eager to discuss various systems and aircraft functionality, as well as things like crew communication for JESTER and carrier operations.

After a long and tiring flight from Stockholm to Oakland, we went through the usual routine of collecting our luggage, passing through immigration and getting our rental vehicle.

The moment we turn the key in the ignition,
"You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’"
starts blaring through the radio.

We’re now about one overtime induced hallucination away from believing that developing the Tomcat is a divine mission.

No one
will expect the Tomcat inquisition.

The next day, it was down to business. We met our subject matter expert, an experienced US Navy Commander and F-14 / F/A-18 aviator.

We hooked him up to a high performance VR-rig in order to have him evaluate our Tomcat and the game was on!

His overall impression of the simulation model was great, and he was able to provide very detailed and absolutely invaluable feedback regarding parts of the flight envelope or controls that need further improvement.

Having brought our development machines with us, we could immediately implement some of these changes and get immediate feedback on them.

Some of these include changing the thrust moment arm, adjusting and tweaking the ground effect and control surface actuator speeds.

DSlWdIy.png

Look at that amazing 'stache!

Now that we’ve returned home, our goal is to fully incorporate the feedback into our model, and within the coming weeks set up further remote testing sessions.

We’ve already spent some time tuning the AFCS which was a point of much feedback, which should alleviate some unwanted roll and pitch oscillations. We’ve also adjusted longitudinal stick pitch damping at high G’s.

Through these evolutionary changes, we are able to finely tune and polish our flight model.

We are already immensely proud of the F-14 FM, and as the foundation of the entire DCS: F-14A & B product, we hope its’ accuracy will permeate throughout the entire module.

We wouldn’t be able to get as close as we are without the fantastic contributions by all of our SME Pilots and RIO’s.

On a personal level, the most amazing part of the testing sessions was to watch him ace the carrier landings again and again (which even our own testing team is not able to do consistently) - something we believe speaks volumes about his skill as an aviator and our FM!

Here’s one of those landings. Smooth as silk!

Being able to discuss all things related to Tomcat also gives us some added perspective on the project as a whole as well as assisting us in the creation of JESTER, our two Campaigns (-A and -B) and just satisfying our nerdy needs in general. We're obviously all huge Tomcat fans and this was a great opportunity to delve into less technical details.

We then spent some time running intercepts as a two person crew (we had a second machine and Rift with us) - with one of our team members operating the Radar. Flying DCS: F-14 as a two man crew is simply one of the most enjoyable flight simulation experiences one can have, and doing so with a real F-14 pilot up front was the cherry on top.

rCdmAdY.png

I was inverted...

That’s it for this trip! :)

The entire team is hard at work at bringing you the best F-14 experience we can possibly craft, and we’re looking forward to the early access release and the F-14 roadmap beyond.

There’s still plenty of work to be done, and we’ll keep you updated on our schedule and progress.

Thanks so much for reading, and stay tuned for more updates.

We'd also like to sincerely thank all of our SMEs, both pilots and RIOs (you all know who you are!) and museums and associations that we have been working with for their amazing help and all of the contributions that they have made to DCS: F-14 so far. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Heatblur Simulations

"....wooah that lovin' feelin'...’"

• Like 3

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Holy Molly guys, that must have been a trip of a lifetime!!!! <333333333333333

It's so nice that we'll have a stamp of approval on our Tomcat from real pilots.

A quick question: You went there, they told you what was wrong, you came home and adjusted it. How will you know the adjusted version is right? Will you go back or something?

Anyway, words cannot express how much I'm looking forward to the F-14, so just take my money and get to WORK!!! :D :D

Edited by Reflected

Thank you for sharing this with us. It is appreciated as all your shares are.

EDIT:

A quick question: You went there, they told you what was wrong, you came home and adjusted it. How will you know the adjusted version is right? Will you go back or something?

Note this part:

now that we’ve returned home, our goal is to fully incorporate the feedback into our model, and within the coming weeks set up further remote testing sessions.

So they have set it up so he/they can further evaluate their changes it appears as they move forward.

Edited by Torso

Chapeau! The effort and love of detail you put into this is beyond words :beer:

Hope the guy got a free copy of the module ;)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

such a great update!

thank you guys. it must have costed a fortune to go usa and get this feedback.

i

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Super work and post!

Can't get my arms down! :)

Look very much forward to your F-14. :)

Thanks for the insight :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Holy Molly guys, that must have been a trip of a lifetime!!!! <333333333333333

It's so nice that we'll have a stamp of approval on our Tomcat from real pilots.

Fortunately, this particular SME has a computer at his shop that can run DCS (he is working as a flight instructor) along with full controls . He recently completed set-up and is now able to test routinely. :)

-Nick

• Like 1

** F-14 Update! - F-14 Pilot Testing Session / Trip Report! **

They already said they will be conducting remote testing for further refinement in the OP.

Heatblur - Awesome update, thanks for sharing! Pretty cool that he was able to stick the carrier landing time and time again...the video was great, any plans to put in a motion simulation to help give the effect of the head moving forward upon carrier landing/catching the arrestor cable and jolting the jet to a stop? That would be top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

:cheer3nc:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Amazing landing video ... thanks for sharing and providing all this behind the scenes information ... this is a day one purchase for me, probably the first time that I will pay full price for a DCS module :D 

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB