Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam generally has their own sales, and generally they dont happen at the same times as ED's eshop sales... and no, you cant take keys from the eshop and use them in Steam.

Steam had an update earlier this year where game developers/publishers can make their own sales whenever they want though... thats why I was asking the question. Looks like I might have to move all my keys over to the stand alone client...

• ED Team
Steam had an update earlier this year where game developers/publishers can make their own sales whenever they want though... thats why I was asking the question. Looks like I might have to move all my keys over to the stand alone client...

Sorry, what I meant was the Steam sales tend to happen at different times for ED stuff...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding Steam DCS Black Shark 2 module. Could i use this module using the cd key in the stand-alone "previous version" of BS2? I used my Steam A10C key to run the stand-alone previous version of the sim, and before i buy BS2 (that's on sale right now) i want to make sure.

Yes, Steam keys work in the stand alone DCS World, but not the other way around.

I think i dont explained myself right. I wanted to use the stand-alone version (not non Steam DCSW) of the sim (refered in the web page as "previous version") using the Steam DCSW key of BS2. Could it be possible?

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other, but I think that is what I replied to. If you buy BS2 on Steam, you can use the Steam key that you get to activate the BS2 module in the stand alone version of DCS World.

Is that what you are planning to do? If so, you can. Steam keys can be used to activate modules in the stand alone DCSW, but the keys that you get when buying from the ED store can not be used to activate a module on Steam.

EDIT: Ok, right, I see now. You meant "stand alone" as the old stand alone version of BS2, not the stand alone (non Steam) DCSW. Why don't you just use stand alone DCSW, with the BS2 module? Then you'll get all the latest updates and all the other new things.

Edited by JS

I think i dont explained myself right. I wanted to use the stand-alone version (not non Steam DCSW) of the sim (refered in the web page as "previous version") using the Steam DCSW key of BS2. Could it be possible?

To clear things, you mean DCSW with old standalone BS2 (before DCS World was introduced), as not-DCSW module?

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

DCS Steam Sale

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the differences / limitations are when using steam for DCS?

I've been pestering a friend for a few weeks to get a jet or something so we can play together and now there's a sale its a good time for him to get a couple of modules to try it to see if he can get into it.

He's probably going to want FC3 and CA for the time being to try.

Will the fact that he buys his stuff through steam make any difference to anything such as our ability to play together in missions? stuff like that?

Cheers :thumbup:

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

Nope. Steam just gets updates and new releases later, at least historically.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes. Any Steam BS2 key should work on any version of BS2 (except the upgrade version), standalone or as part of World. It is still the same product.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"UnSteaming" DCS

Not sure where the best place to ask this is.

I want to install DCS world and all my modules outside steam.

So I have downloaded the DCS world installer and there it is , a fresh no modules, no keys bindings for all the modules, default setup....

How can I copy all my key bindings and hardware setup...ect

Also I guess I just paste the steam keys in the new install after hitting "buy"

How can I copy all my key bindings and hardware setup...ect

Also I guess I just paste the steam keys in the new install after hitting "buy"

No need to copy settings, standalone version will use the same files just fine.

Look in \Saved Games\DCS\

You can use modules same way if you already activated them on your computer.

I suggest you bind them to your DCS account so the module manager in standalone version will autodetect and install them.

• Like 1

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

may i ask you what is wrong with the steam version?

Certain future modules may not be available on steam, either! Steam has no open.beta option (parallel install synching from your HDD). Betas available to ED customers months to years before Steam release. Updates available earlier. Modding the game more difficult. ED getting lees of the revenue when buying on steam (which adds less m oney to development ressource), and so on...

Personally I don't like a software controlling what I can do with stuff I bought, forcing me to start a "spyware" everytime I want to play, etc.

The little "convenience" of "auto updates" and "buddylist" are a minor advantage compared to the list of disadvantages, at least for me...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Certain future modules may not be available on steam, either! Steam has no open.beta option (parallel install synching from your HDD). Betas available to ED customers months to years before Steam release. Updates available earlier. Modding the game more difficult. ED getting lees of the revenue when buying on steam (which adds less m oney to development ressource), and so on...

Personally I don't like a software controlling what I can do with stuff I bought, forcing me to start a "spyware" everytime I want to play, etc.

The little "convenience" of "auto updates" and "buddylist" are a minor advantage compared to the list of disadvantages, at least for me...

You're either old or paranoid, or both. Steam does not require to be run to play DCS, nor most games on Steam. You could always download Dcs through steam, copy it to another directory, and then download open beta overtop of it. Steam is far from spyware, and what beta has been available to nonsteam that hasn't been on steam the same day? You can also install store modules into the steam version very easily.

• Like 1