And just like that my F14 career is over....

Andysim212

Let's be honest here/ we are not equals about these skills. Hardware makes a huge difference.

My extended warthog in a central position in my simpit, makes its relatively easy. Harder than the hornet but probably easier than the harrier.

Give me another joystick, on a desk or something and I am pretty sure it would be a whole other challenge

+100

I've been a AAR dumbo since beginning of my virtual career on Falcon4 last millenium, completely unable to do a proper AAR in any sim I attempted it.

Since a few months, now, I can do it rather easily.

Difference being that I now fly with an extended, centered , T50 stick, and in VR. It changed everything.

It's amazing how proper hardware smoothen up things!

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Once trimmed, I think the poor visibility afforded by the canopy rail is a factor. It makes it a little more difficult to fly formation off of the tanker. Once you develop an eye for the proper position, things fall into place.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

how do you see your actual exact speed? with analog gauge and only mach meter, how can we maintain speed with the tanker?

The analog meter while analog is exact. The rest is MkI eyeball. What do you need actual numbers for, you see the tanker after all.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I also find the 135 a little more of a challenge due to the angle of the wing :) but its just a matter of getting used to it

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Another frustrating session. I am struggling, every time I get close to the basket the aircraft pitches up or down no matter if I am trimmed properly. I,m not able to put in any pitch/roll without going into PIO and having to back off.

3 days of trying, my arm hurts and I really wish there was an "easy mode" as this is the only thing I cant do well enough. Got a few 3 wires, dropped some bombs etc

I feel like I cant continue without being able to do AAR as its such a fundamental part of Carrier base aircraft. :noexpression:

Haha, so even though my first go at this went very well, I went to do it again yesterday and struggled like mad.

Visibility is tough with the canopy bow where it is, and the new jet wash certainly adds a new element.

Gotta keep practicing!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Well my first go at the tanker was not great, was able to hold speed and position with the tanker despite the lack of a really functional HUD but was just ‘teasing the basket’ as Jester kept reminding me.

Still was a first go. The prop wash added to the challenge though to be honest once you are close enough to be cleared for contact it isn’t much of an issue.

Using a Warthog stick with VKB gimbal here, no extension.

While the VKB gimbal helps, even it has some stiction, and it's a desktop model with no extension, so the equipment is not the major difference.

I generally put the bird in "bomb mode" - reason being it's an easy way to sweep the wings and disable the slats all in one go. That prevents the unexpected pitch moments.

Once you hook up, push forward a bit to get some slack in the line, and then keep vigilant with the throttle and trim. As you take on fuel, you will get heavier and start drifting back and low. A bump of trim here and there helps.

Most important - BREATHE. Let the tension out and don't hold a death grip.

Fly it like you’re flaring small plane for landing. You’re keeping the plane up with back stick pressure but you would not push to pitch down just relax a bit and it would pitch down very slightly.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

, added to this poor front visibility makes me mad.

+1000 :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

How proficient are any of you at formation flying? I used to suck at AAR too, until I spent a lot of time on the AerobaticsOnline Server.

1. You don't need to know what speed you're going or anything happening on your instruments for that matter. Your head is always focused on your lead. The shape of the plane will also not bother you as much.

2. The other thing you are going to learn is very small inputs so you don't yoyo around. On my, oh-so-terrible, X-55 I don't even get into the spring area to make corrections, which is probably 1/32" movements

Now the biggest other contributor is a VR set. Sorry, but without depth perception you are going to have a hard time chasing baskets. I know people like to argue against VR sets for various reasons, but depth perception is the single biggest reason I refuse to go back to a flat screen.