And just like that my F14 career is over....

Andysim212

So I cannot for the life of me refuel this thing from a tanker. Burned through an entire 20000lbs of fuel and simply could not get even close to the basket let alone connect.

I have been using DCS since the Beta of the A10c and never had any problems with that or the FA-18.

I figure its the most important part of any Naval aircraft to be able to refuel so after some practice takeoffs/Landing I headed to the tanker....

I put the wing sweep to bomb and didn't have too much of an issue. Initially matching speed was difficult because of turbine lag I think. Could be wrong on that though. I'm now expert but found it to be a little tougher than the hornet and mirage because of less hud info but easier than the Harrier. Be patient and keep practicing.

So I cannot for the life of me refuel this thing from a tanker. Burned through an entire 20000lbs of fuel and simply could not get even close to the basket let alone connect.

I have been using DCS since the Beta of the A10c and never had any problems with that or the FA-18.

I figure its the most important part of any Naval aircraft to be able to refuel so after some practice takeoffs/Landing I headed to the tanker....

don't quite on me soldier !

Keep practicing and stop your whinning :smartass:

Set the wings a bit behind the CADC schedule, in manual, and put out maneuvering flaps. Then trim trim trim.

It’s waaay harder than the hornet, and harder than the Harrier, but once you’re on it’s pretty easy. I also find tanking off the KC-135 (left wing) is quite a bit harder than the KC-130 due to the lack of a sight picture (I’m in VR). I shift down in my seat to get a better view.

I agree completely on the difficulty of tanking this jet. Digital HUDs have obviously been a crutch for me, as I can reliably plug the Hornet and Harrier in and stay plugged no problem, adjusting the throttles as I gain or lose a knot. The F-14's air speed indicator is difficult for me to comprehensively read, so I keep overshooting the tanker. I'll try Jabbers' method when I get home and maybe better results will be forthcoming.

We've had this bird for less than 24 hours. You can't walk away from it that soon. Give it some time, patience, and practice. It'll be a worthwhile conquest.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Lets just say I am really happy the thing I am trying to hook up to has gas for me! Cause I sure spend a looong time getting it hooked in, then suck some gas, back off, and try again.

I also noticed when hooked into the KC-130 that it glitches, jumping around a bit, making tight formation pretty tricky - investigating more.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only tried it for a bit last night, but I didn't have any issues.

Even in the Hornet, I'm in the habit of ignoring the HUD, airspeed, attitude - ignore it all. Focus on flying formation on the tanker. You could be upside down for all that it would matter - if you maintain the formation on the tanker, and make small adjustments by cross checking the basket, you'll get it.

Just try to ignore everything else. Use your speed, etc to get close, then fly solely off the tanker.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Teach yourself to properly fly formation. Tanking is fundamentally a formation flying exercise.

If you think that airspeed or autothrottle is how to maintain the parade position, you probably are not flying form properly. I spent about 20-30 hours of my time creating training about formation flying, so I can't explain everything here, but my biggest tip is: TRIM TRIM TRIM. You should be able to momentarily take your hands of the stick and have the jet stay approximately in position.

I just attempted tanking for the first time a few minutes ago. It was not terribly difficult.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Do what I do, if you can't get in the basket, shoot the tanker down...

LOFL... Spoken like a true Virtual Fighter pilot.... :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Without the physical feedback real world provides, it's all judgement and eye -hand coordination, so it's going to take more practice than real life probably.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

how do you see your actual exact speed? with analog gauge and only mach meter, how can we maintain speed with the tanker?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

how do you see your actual exact speed? with analog gauge and only mach meter, how can we maintain speed with the tanker?

The gauge gives you knots too. Just hard to see.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well, I'm quite proud of myself. Managed to plug into the C130 tanker on the first attempt. I got a whole load of sarky comments from big J in the back seat mind you! but I did it. Bounced around a bit thought.

One thing I did notice however. In the F18 once the A/C is full the tanker just disconnects and the hose reels in but on the Cat it didn't seem to do this. I stayed plugged in until I couldn't see the fuel gauge increase any further and then pulled back from the tanker. Did I miss something here or is this how it works in the Cat?

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Let's be honest here/ we are not equals about these skills. Hardware makes a huge difference.

My extended warthog in a central position in my simpit, makes its relatively easy. Harder than the hornet but probably easier than the harrier.

Give me another joystick, on a desk or something and I am pretty sure it would be a whole other challenge

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5