Struggling with the Tomcat!

imacken

I know I’m opening myself up to the RTFM brigade here, but I am struggling with the Tomcat.

After many years of flight simming, I am, for the first time, unable to get to grips with an aircraft.

I’ve read the manual, done the training missions and watched endless YT videos, yet still remain bogged down.

Let me put one simple scenario question.

In a A2A gun situation with a couple of enemy aircraft at, say, 40 miles away, how do I see them in the pilot seat on WCS or HUD, or transfer the RIO tracking info to the targeting system?

At the moment, I am only using F10 map and the RIO ‘4 o’clock high’ type commands to try and seek out the bandits.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On the right hand vertical console, there's a switch to mirror jester's TID display in the front seat. (I'm not at my PC right now so I can't remember the name on the label of the switch)

although you will only be able to see what your RIO sees.

Additionally, you can use the Data Link and set an AWACS as host. Let the AWACS be your eyes.

Edited by A101Wayz

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

You can switch the VDI display to the camera view and see what's locked, and switch the HSD display to the RIOs radar. My issue right now is dogfighting. I'm getting shot down by Su-24s. Albeit, it is 8 vs 1. :) The really funny thing is I didn't even know they had guns.:megalol:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Also you wont get any symbology in the HUD showing where they are unless you're in AA mode and have the aircraft in a Single Target Track.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks guys, but I'm looking at a much more basic level here!

Tell me what your process is in the scenario in my post #1. From initially seeing the bandits on the RIO radar, to locking them in and seeing that lock in the pilot seat HUD. Then, the process from there to downing them.

I'm even confused by the RTGS. Sometimes I think I've got it by firing when the pipper is on top of the (locked on) diamond, and that works, but other times that is way off. And, I'm not even sure how the diamond locks on to a target in the first place! Videos and training missions suggest using PLM to lock, but I can't get that to work either.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It sounds like you need to get up to speed with some of the pilot locking modes. I have great success with vertical scan High/Low and PAL.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I am having same problem I assume the Bandit is locked only to hear Jester tell me he has lost the lock. and It seems as though the missile isn't even going near the target locked. I've got cargo planes out running missiles lol.

Thrustmaster A10 Warthog

Thrustmaster Rudder

Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

ACPI x64 PC

Corsair K70 RGB LUX

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Intel i7-8700K@3.70GHz

GeFORCE GTX 1080 Ti

16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15

If AWACS tells you there's a bandit, 40 miles, 20,000 ft, hot:

Turn the nose to point directly at the bandit's bearing.

Tell Jester to scan higher or lower using the Jester menu.

Confirm the correct scan volume by mirroring the TID onto the pilot's display (switches next to the HUD master mode switches, right side under the arresting hook).

If the bandit is still not showing up, I personally hop in the back seat and do it myself. Pulse Doppler search, Pulse search (if not super long range). Narrow the search field as much as possible by adjusting bars and azimuth scan zone.

Once in the front seat, with targets showing up on the TID in TWS mode, you can fire Phoenixes as soon as they're in range (flashing symbols).

Or, tell jester to STT lock a bandit and attack that way.

Don't forget to turn on the master arm and MSL PREP switches!

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I am having same problem I assume the Bandit is locked only to hear Jester tell me he has lost the lock. and It seems as though the missile isn't even going near the target locked. I've got cargo planes out running missiles lol.

Jester is performing far better with TWS radar modes at the moment what that means is you don’t need to ask him to lock targets. In fact you don’t need to do anything you fly toward the enemy aircraft mirror jesters radar display on your vdi and you will see by the symbology how he has locked the targets simultaneously by looking at the number on the right hand side. For example there is a flight of four enemy aircraft ahead you may see four contacts with 1 2 3 and 4 next to them. If you have pheonix missiles selected and master arm off you can launch them one after another, you will know if you have run out of lost locked targets because the hot rig light in front of you won’t be illuminated any more and your missiles won’t launch. Sometimes then I ask him to go into STT mode to pick off remaining targets that were not hit with my missiles in TWS mode and I admit he often looses lock in STT mode. So often then it becomes a BFM merge with sidewinder or guns.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Thanks guys. However, it’s not so much missile modes and locks that are getting the better of me, it’s in a guns only scenario as I said in my posts.

An example is the guns air to air training mission. Easy to shoot down the first aircraft, but then I have the issue with the 2 F-5s at WP2. What is the best way to track and lock them?

You can switch the VDI display to the camera view and see what's locked, and switch the HSD display to the RIOs radar. My issue right now is dogfighting. I'm getting shot down by Su-24s. Albeit, it is 8 vs 1. :) The really funny thing is I didn't even know they had guns.:megalol:

Yep they carry the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23, same gun as a Mig-31.

Thanks guys. However, it’s not so much missile modes and locks that are getting the better of me, it’s in a guns only scenario as I said in my posts.

An example is the guns air to air training mission. Easy to shoot down the first aircraft, but then I have the issue with the 2 F-5s at WP2. What is the best way to track and lock them?

I'm having the same problem with the F-5s. I simply don't know how to find them apart from an approximate location.

Edited by Black Assassin

i9-9900KF @ 3.6ghz ; 32gb RAM @ 3600mhz; Gigabyte RTX 2080 8gb ; TMWarthog ; TM rudder ; HTC Vive

No easy answer to this, with the way that currently spotting and keeping track of aircraft is broken in DCS. (Likely won't be fixed anytime soon either) I generally see bigger fighters okay, but the F5 is really tricky to spot.

I use PLA mode to lock one of them up, then zoom in for visual and switch to the TCS to check their aspect. Works quite well for me but if I take my eye off them for one second it's extremely hard to find them again.

If I do lose them I generally fly at a 90 degree bank circle using VSI HI mode to until I get another lock. There is no shame in using your radar to find enemies even if you are going for a guns kill. :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yep they carry the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23, same gun as a Mig-31.

Wow, I had no idea.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I switch back to sidewinders and use one of the ACM modes... then switch back to guns. I wonder if you're supposed to be able to use ACM radar modes with the gun selected?

I switch back to sidewinders and use one of the ACM modes... then switch back to guns. I wonder if you're supposed to be able to use ACM radar modes with the gun selected?

They work even when selecting the gun, however the symbology is absent from the HUD.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.