Change Level bombing symbology

LastRifleRound

Is it just me or should the horizontal cue and steering order both be present when holding weapon release?

After trigger unsafe if weapon release is held the pilot is given a steering order that indicates where vertically the aircraft should be flying ro fly at the safety altitude. When the bombs begin to release a circle on a horizontal bar also appear to help align in that axis. However the bombs are already falling and it's too late to make corrections. It seems like that horizontal indicator should appear when weapon release is held just like the steering order. Thoughts?

If you choose one of the higher safety altitudes of 400m or 600m or are even slightly fast this isn't possible. The manual indicates this as such and also shows the steering order should be followed at this point

Just tried twice with the highest safety level and saw the pipper all the way to the release cue.

The steering order only displays during the actual weapon release as per the manual.

• 2 weeks later...

This is true. Issue was I was too fast and slightly high. What I thought was extra symbology was the steering order glued to the bottom of the hud commanding descent.

Still feels off to me. I assumed level bombing modes would specialize in giving you commanded steering for targets below your nose. What is your checklist when you run in for a level delivery?

What is your checklist when you run in for a level delivery?

Yeah I agree the symbology is quite different from NATO/WP aircraft, and takes some getting used to. My "mental model" is that the thing I'm looking at isn't a CCIP pipper, but a CCRP one. In other aircraft once the target is designated in CCRP the pipper disappears and is replaced by a vertical line (in the A-10C Projected Bomb Release Line (PBRL)) which serves as a steering order in the horizontal plane. The pilot is allowed to choose the attitude/altitude for release, so the system does not provide vertical guidance. The solution is one dimensional.

The Viggen has apparently been maximized for low altitude fast flight, thus it's CCRP is designed to be as low as safely allowed (i.e. a "safety height"). If you think about it the invisible (never displayed to you) CCIP pipper is always below the HUD throughout the entire attack because the steering order drops below and sticks to the bottom of the HUD just before giving you the release cue. The only time that "pipper" matches the CCIP is at the time of release.

It's a weird system but it's fantastic to work with it and "see it's logic."

I use the procedure in the manual, which means that I reference the quick checklist found on pg.298.

Hope this helps.