Printable map of current Caucasus map?

Stratos

I've found a very interesting file in the game's folders: Mods/terrains/Caucasus/Map/towns.lua holds the 1759 town names of the Caucasus map along with their respective coordinates.

After some tweaking, I was able to use the data as a QuantumGIS layer, then I exported it as an SVG file. And it works just fine with my WIP, as you can see. :)

But now, it seems to me there's too much data on the map! The TC-1 map didn't display that much information. So you tell me: too much data or is it OK as it is?

My WIP :

98645305ddf742b3c83b2d1a4740bf65.md.png

TC-1 :

6b66a901d6eb654693babf4d02af32ce.md.jpg

By the way, I've just noticed that some towns don't have their yellow area drawn on my map (see NW of Zugdidi). I wonder why.

EDIT : argh, when I zoom too much on the ME's map, some town areas disappear when others appear. I think I need to redo the whole town layers.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute: those "missing" urban areas do not exist anymore in 2.5 Caucasus! For instance, the town aptly called "Hole": in the ME, I don't see anything there on the SAT view.

I guess that means I should simply remove the names of the towns that no longer exist in 2.5. Can someone confirm the disappearance of those towns from 1.5 to 2.5?

EDIT: after a quick flight, I can confirm that Hole, Dihazurga, Zeni, Tkaya, etc. no longer exist in the game. Therefore, I have to remove all names that don't sit on an urban area. I'll make a list and ask ED to remove those names from the game, as well.

We also have some urban areas without a name.

Edited by Flappie

Flappie.

TC-1 was the best source of in game geographic information we had so far, but it was nonetheless limited to a given zoom factor since it was a simple image. The major towns were showing, but we still didn't get the level of details available on a full zoomed-in F10 view. So your work here will be a real game changer if we can get the same amount of information than a full zoomed-in in-game map.

I suggest you get in touch with Viper39 and his Combatflite flight planning tool. If you guys can work together and integrate your data into Combatflite, this will simply become a revolution in DCS.

OK, I will get in touch with him soon.

Good news: I was wrong about the ME's map. It's accurate, and I managed to superimpose the SRTM data over my WIP. Thats means I can use the TC-1 "look" with shadows and all.

I'm currently working on the tracing of the roads, and it's a very tough job, because there are plenty of roads on the map. I'm looking for the easiest way to do this.

Yes, the full vector version is made possible by the use of SRTM data. :)

I've tried to use real life roads from OpenstreetMap, but overall it doesn't match well with the game's roads. I've also tested a software called WinTopo to trace the game roads from screenshots of the map, but the result was dissatisfying. For now, my best options are: using vector data from the game (I found files, but I can't use them so far), or "simply" draw all roads by hand. :helpsmilie:

Power lines will be very easy to do, as long as you don't want the poles drawn on the map. ;)

I can easily retrieve the position of the real life bridges (thanks to OpenStreetMap) and go from there.

I've been talking to Viper39. I'll probably be able to produce the map he needs for Caucasus. For now, I'm working on reprojecting my different layers in Quantum GIS.

Here's where I'm at:

Elevation : SRTM already in QGIS as a raster

ISO lines : already in QGIS as vectors

Town names : already in QGIS, need to remove name of towns that no longer exist in the game

Waterbodies : to be reprojected as TIF, then vectorized - or, I could use real life data and compare

Vegetation : to be reprojected as TIF, then vectorized

Urban areas : to be reprojected as TIF, then vectorized

Power lines : to be reprojected as TIF, then drawn by hand on QGIS

Rivers : screenshots haven't been done yet

Airbases : screenshots haven't been done yet

Beacons : lua file to be converted into GeoJSON

Roads and bridges : waiting for an answer from NineLine

Roads and bridges are the only things that can screw my whole project up, because I probably couldn't draw them by hand. I really need the vector data for those.

Edited by Flappie

Hi BaD CrC, I've just launched a DCS campaign. That means I won't be much active on this thread for the next two months.

The roads problem is still not solved. I guess I'll "simply" use my huge screenshot of the ME's map to serve as background for Viper39. At least, for now.

• 2 months later...

I have all four maps iirc three printed with the smallest side being 36” on photo paper from staples.makes it nice when your looking for a location or route

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a quick heads-up of my 2.5 Caucasus printable map project:

What's done

Elevation : 100% (as a raster)

Relief shadows : 100% (as a raster)

ISO lines : 100%

Base MGRS grid : 100%

Base geo grid : 100%

Town names : 100 %

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100%

Vegetation : 100%

Urban areas : 100%

Work in progress

Power lines : 50% (hand-drawn vectors on QGIS)

What still has to be done

Roads : 0%

Railroads : 0%

Bridges : 0%

Beacons : 0% (lua file to be converted into GeoJSON)

Rivers : 0%

Airbases : 0%

Elaborated MGRS grid : 0%

Elaborated geo grid : 0%

Viper39 has validated my WIP for his CombatFlite app. As soon as the printable map is done, it will be usable in the app. :thumbup:

University of Texas has digital scans of the Tactical Pilot Chart 1:500000 series for the whole World.

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/tpc/

World aero charts from UTexas

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/jog/

Enjoy.

There is a digital flight planning tool being created for DCS you may also be interested in:

CombatFlite

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195724

It looks very promising.

For scrolling around the US this is pretty awesome, eg. if you are planning flights on the Nevada map:

https://skyvector.com/

The US taxpayer has kindly created charts for everyone to use through the Federal Aviation Administration

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/

Direct link to Las Vegas sectional charts:

PDF - http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/sectional_files/PDFs/Las_Vegas_99_P.pdf

GeoTIFF - http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/sectional_files/Las_Vegas_99.zip

Edited by Moa

@Stratos....

I could not find a map for you. I thought it was an easy exercise to find a printable map on Georgia... Unfortunately I was wrong... There are hundreds of links to the state of Georgia, but not to the country of Georgia, and no quality links to maps of Georgia as a country, at least that was my experience.

I am on roaming, only have mobile at the moment. After 20 minutes I gave up.

My comment "google it" was not meant to be unkind at all. In fact I was trying to help.

Your idea wasn't that stupid, just need simply point Google in the right direction, like typing « Eastern Europe Georgia map » or « middle east georgia map » it would had be easier. :)

Edited by Doum76

he is not looking for a real life map!

he is doing a real DCS map for accurate mission planning,

so tpc or other real life maps wont help

keep up the good work , lots of us are awaiting your awesome map FLAPPIE

Thank you. :)

I've just finished hand-drawing the whole power lines network. This was quicker than I expected, as I watched a lot of soccer games this last few days. :smilewink:

I'm now preparing for a very long/boring work: hand drawing the road network. :cry:

University of Texas has digital scans of the Tactical Pilot Chart 1:500000 series for the whole World.

Thanks for the links but these charts have been on the forum for years and, as Fox Delta highlighted it, we are not looking for real life charts, we are looking for what is actually in game (which is significantly different from IRL: roads, village names, power lines even some rivers). For choppers pilots and CAS aircraft, IRL charts 1/500000 are close to useless.

That's where the discussion with Flappie started. Long time ago, someone as dedicated as Flappie made a high definition map of DCS Caucasus called TC-1 that is still on my wall. But at this time, the Caucasus map was not going as far East as today and all the Tbilissi area was missing. And the TC-1 map has never been updated.

What flappie is doing is even more amazing than the legendary TC-1 map. Because he is building a vector map so we will (hopefully) be able to zoom down to the level of what the mission editor is showing, including all the roads intersections, power lines and small villages in the mountains (which are not visible on a 1/500 000 or even sometime do not exist IRL).

Talking about CombatFlite, Flappie is already coordinating his work with Viper39, the creator of Combat Flite, to be able to use it inside this amazing software.

I postponed the boring road work, and I'm up to some boring river work. :p

I've found out that OpenStreetMap's river data is quite accurate. I'm currently deleting a lot of rivers/streams that do not exist in our beloved Caucasus map. Then I will need to hand-draw a few of them that do not exist in OSM. I'll simply follow the SRTM relief.

(light blue = OSM rivers, purple = OSM streams, dark blue = ingame rivers)

5deebf687c54fbe92a59e8f2e8f497f3.md.jpg

What's done

Elevation : 100% (as a raster)

Relief shadows : 100% (as a raster)

ISO lines : 100%

Base MGRS grid : 100%

Base geo grid : 100%

Town names : 100 %

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100%

Vegetation : 100%

Urban areas : 100%

Power lines : 100%

Work in progress

Rivers : 10%

What still has to be done

Roads : 0%

Railroads : 0%

Bridges : 0%

Beacons : 0% (lua file to be converted into GeoJSON)

Airbases : 0%

Elaborated MGRS grid : 0%

Elaborated geo grid : 0%

Edited by Flappie