Multi-crew for one huey implemented or not? - Page 26 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #251
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richman View Post
It's nice to read, that the multiplayer multicrew for the Huey isn't dead. I do have some other modules for DCS, so it's not going to get boring, but multicrew for the Huey would be awesome. Maybe I'll try it even first in the Gazelle.

But one thing I don't get: Why is it a problem making the whole cockpit accessible for both crew? If my copilot switches off the engine while on an attack run, he's an idiot (or a mean flight instructor ;-P).

I don't own the L-39. It has two cockpit and I guess - while most of the cockpit controls are separate for each cockpit - the flight controls aren't, right? So when this works apparently for the flight controls, why doesn't it for ordinary cockpit controls?
I don't see an issue with this? But maybe one of you could enlighten me.
Thanks!
An example. Both pilots have a HOTAS Warthog throttle. Using a 3-way switch, say the EAC for the "Master Arm switch". Now the ON/off/ON switch has two constant ON positions. You need to keep them synced, or you have one switch in the up the other in the off or down position at the same time (that isn't even considering network sync issues in the first place).

Now with "Master Arm" that isn't much trouble as you can switch between the safe and off position with no impact on the weapons, but the overhead panel Main generator will be fun if accidentally "reset" and set to "off" midflight... and this is just switches, and just for the Huey.

The more complex the module is, the more important is keeping switches and systems in sync, without accidentally triggering something.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #252
Sharkku

Of course it's not possible to sync two different hardware switches in two different real world locations with each other. You can work around it though, so that your hardware switch will not affect the virtual switch until you have put it in the same position as the virtual switch. It's going to be a little more inconvenient, yes, but there is really no way around it, short of both pilots having controllers with server motors that move the switches of the other player's controller.

An alternative is to only interact with the virtual cockpit with the mouse or a hand controller in VR. Then it just becomes a question of whose hand will take precedence if both players try to manipulate the same switch at once.

It's definitely doable, to make a cockpit with shared controls. Anyone saying otherwise is just making up lame excuses because it's harder to do than two separate cockpits or set of controls.
Sharkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #253
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkku View Post
Of course it's not possible to sync two different hardware switches in two different real world locations with each other. You can work around it though, so that your hardware switch will not affect the virtual switch until you have put it in the same position as the virtual switch. It's going to be a little more inconvenient, yes, but there is really no way around it, short of both pilots having controllers with server motors that move the switches of the other player's controller.

An alternative is to only interact with the virtual cockpit with the mouse or a hand controller in VR. Then it just becomes a question of whose hand will take precedence if both players try to manipulate the same switch at once.

It's definitely doable, to make a cockpit with shared controls. Anyone saying otherwise is just making up lame excuses because it's harder to do than two separate cockpits or set of controls.
Nobody says it is not doable. It just is more complicated than in seperate cockpits.

As for the "lame excuses" feel free to show us how quickly and easy you can do this.

Oh, and just not to forget, the platform you program for is changing from time to time... 1.5 to 2.0, 2.0 to 2.2, 2.2 to 2.5 all with minor and major changes and the one or other bug...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #254
Sharkku

Oh, I'm sorry if I stepped on a sore toe. My apologies.

As for the "show us how quickly I can do it myself", that's just asinine. I don't have insight or knowledge about the specific code of DCS. I don't work for DCS, and I'm not a programmer. Of course I couldn't do it quicker than someone working for ED. I do, however, possess a sense of logic and reasoning, and I have a basic understanding of programming.

But if you are not saying that it's not doable, then the statement above about lame excuses does not apply to you, logically.

Then again, if you are saying that you won't do it because it's too hard, that's a lame excuse.

I have complete sympathy for it being hard and taking time. And I am grateful for the effort being put into the module.
Sharkku is offline   Reply With Quote