Almost Finished the Cockpit

Warhog

A couple more months and the cockpit should be finished. Here is where it stands at the moment. None of my panels are actually connected to the sim yet. They have however all been tested to ensure they function. I only have to wire the RS485 bus together and it should be ready to go. That's the next step. I also added a few extra panels to accommodate some of the basic PC/keyboard functions. I don't really want to have a keyboard in the cockpit so I have all of the function keys on one panel and then things like ESC, Pause, Loadout, Labels, FPS, etc. are all on another panel. The ADI and HSI are still a WIP. When Ian comes to Canada for a visit with me later this month, he and I are going to see if we can get the HSI to function with little to no modification.

The display you see below is a 36" TV and is temporary. I have a 65" 4k TV on the way which will replace it. I also intend to totally enclose the cockpit. The less visual distractions there are, the better the immersion will be.

I am using DCS-BIOS as the interface between cockpit and DCS World for virtually every panel and gauge in the cockpit. I am also using Overpro's HID software to handle the special panels I built for the function keys. To run everything, I have just finished building a new PC. You can check out the specs in my signature.

28773791128_9f158a7578_b.jpgIMG_1052 by John Wall, on Flickr

28773794528_3bb3ccee22_b.jpgIMG_1055 by John Wall, on Flickr

42597155752_ee53f1b751_b.jpgIMG_1056 by John Wall, on Flickr

There are still lots of odds and ends to be dealt with yet. I expect (hope) it will all be completed by the end of summer. Besides really looking forward to flying missions with a squadron, I am also looking forward to my next cockpit... a Huey or an F18. Not sure yet but I am leaning heavily toward the Huey.

I also have to say that running DCS 2.5.0 on my new PC is quite jaw dropping. These new graphics are simply amazing. And this new PC has let me max out all of the graphics settings. I easily manage 100 to 135 fps depending on location. So far the only problem I have have is the inability to join multiplayer. I hope that gets resolved before the cockpit is 100% functional.

In closing, I normally post all my pics on my Flickr page to keep them all together. So if anyone is interested in seeing many of the panels and gauges I've built, this is the place... https://www.flickr.com/photos/jfwall/albums

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

WOW. Brilliant work.

I am envious of those MFD's.

Time to break out the laser...

Also where did you find the map light on the right of the MIP. I've been hunting one for ages!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by romeokilo

WOW. Brilliant work.

I am envious of those MFD's.

Time to break out the laser...

Also where did you find the map light on the right of the MIP. I've been hunting one for ages!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s actually a cheap Chinese tactical flashlight that I converted to attach to a small gimbal on the MIP. I think it was around $3.00 for twofold them. It’s a tad larger than the real one but I made a compromise considering the cost.:smilewink: If you can't find them on eBay, let me know and I will see if I can dig up the original order for you.

I originally considered installing the TM MFCD frames which I've used for several years on a second monitor. But as you know, they are a little small compared to the real ones. And since my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, I wanted as large a display as possible. So I bit the bullet and built the larger frames so I could h@ve the larger display.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

Amazing work!

Absolutely stunning dedication to authenticity. I have watched your build for some time, and read your updates with relish.

Any idea how many man-hours have gone into this? Incalculable I imagine.....

Fantastic!

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Any idea how many man-hours have gone into this? Incalculable I imagine.....

I wouldn't want to added it all up but a rough guess is that it’s been three and a half years. During that time, every waking moment not devoted to work has been given over to building the cockpit. I'm pretty sure I broke 4000 hours.

It’s been a fabulous journey. What’s more exciting, my next cockpit will be far easier to build. With all this experience under my belt, cockpit no. 2 ( Huey?) will be so much more sophisticated and professional so stay tuned.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Really nice work. I am already working almost 4 years on my pit and still not done (I hope this year is final year), so you are quit effective :thumbup:

Haven't you be thinking about use of projectors with 180° or 270° screen??? For your nice pit it will perfect combination:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

Really nice work. I am already working almost 4 years on my pit and still not done (I hope this year is final year), so you are quit effective :thumbup:

Haven't you be thinking about use of projectors with 180° or 270° screen??? For your nice pit it will perfect combination:pilotfly:

Yes I had considered it. In fact I have a JVC projector and a 120" screen. But the reason to not use a projector is two fold. Not enough space and cost. Cost associated with replacement lamps for my projector is $450 for 2000 hours of use. That's assuming you actually get 2000 hours of use. Last lamp was only 1500 hours before it went bye-bye.

A decent 65" TV with TrackIR in a dark room will be more than satisfactory when you are sitting 4 feet away from it. That scenario will fill my entire field of view and I won't have any replacement costs 2000 hours down the line.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Simply just beautiful John. I think many of us has been following you through the years and been amazed by the dedication and skillset you have. Truly inspiring and I look forward to see the next pit project you decide on.

All the very best

Hans

Hi Clay

Good to hear from you. I haven't seen any posts from you in a while and was wondering how you were doing with your build. Hope it’s going well. This latest 2.5 release of DCS World has definitely made demands on PC hardware not to mention how many issues they've had with it.

However, the new PC has, for the most part, has sure tamed it down so at least it’s smooth running and seldom crashes.

Looking forward to seeing some updates on your build Clay.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Lot of similar tastes I also have a Kimber and 22 conversion kit plus a bunch of Rogers one day I’ll set down a photograph my guns before they are outlawed

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I wouldn't want to added it all up but a rough guess is that it’s been three and a half years. During that time, every waking moment not devoted to work has been given over to building the cockpit. I'm pretty sure I broke 4000 hours.

It’s been a fabulous journey. What’s more exciting, my next cockpit will be far easier to build. With all this experience under my belt, cockpit no. 2 ( Huey?) will be so much more sophisticated and professional so stay tuned.

Cockpit no.2? Are you crazee?!:lol:

But yes, I totally understand how that works.... Just as you have spent 40 hours getting a solution, the mind suddenly goes, "Oh, I coulda done it like this!" and out come the drawing tools, the screwdrivers, the sheet-cutters....

I am currently building a Mi-24 pit.... and DCS does not yet have a Mi-24! (It is cross-compatible with the Mi-8, naturally, though everything is in a different place...). I just spent the best part of 6 days retro-engineering a pair of engine-control-levers from a different Mil airframe. And they will only get used in an emergency. Bring on the random failures!

This pit building lark is certainly addictive, obsessive and fascinating. Time-consuming and money consuming too. But ultimately very rewarding, when successful.

I look forward to your Huey!

M

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg