Multiple actions bound to one button

Hey there,

is there any news on how to achieve multiple actions with one single button in DCS easily?

I have searched and only found vastly outdated threads like this one: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41127&page=2

With the Viper and Hornet e.g. that all use multibinds on the HOTAS - is there any official solution to this?

For example the paddle switch on the stick being:

1. Nosewheel steering disengage
  2. Auto pilot disengage
  3. G-Limiter override switch

Or the undesignate / nosewheel steering button.

How to do the same in DCS?

Best regards

Hey there,

is there any news on how to achieve multiple actions with one single button in DCS easily?

I have searched and only found vastly outdated threads like this one: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41127&page=2

With the Viper and Hornet e.g. that all use multibinds on the HOTAS - is there any official solution to this?

For example the paddle switch on the stick being:

2. Nosewheel steering disengage

3. Auto pilot disengage

4. G-Limiter override switch

Or the undesignate / nosewheel steering button.

How to do the same in DCS?

I use joystick gremlin which creates a virtual joystick. I can then assign a button like normal, and also a virtual button, and even a long press virtual button. So 3 possible presses on one button easily. And it’s free

Curious why you would want this. I can't think of a reason but it might be a really cool one that I want to try...

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Curious why you would want this. I can't think of a reason but it might be a really cool one that I want to try...

In my case, I use my pinky button as a modifier button, and a first stage of my trigger for e F5 gun flaps and the A10C PAC mode. Also have a button that’s the master arm with a short press, and master lights with a long press. It’s just a good way of using the keyboard less.

I'm using TM's TARGET script editor, it's a real pity there is nothing like it available as a standalone product as I'd gladly pay for such a thing

It can easily give you 3 modes, a shift for each mode and you can use long/short press (customizable to the delay of your choice). So that means one button can perform 12 separate commands.

Then you can go further by getting it do different things for different configuations, example if the gear is selected up or down, the button will send different keystrokes or actuate differrent Dx buttons. You can also set it to do different things for a combination too, example gear and hook down, do one thing, gear only something else, gear up different again.

On top of that there is the ability to Chain or sequence, keystrokes.

Using these I can get the buttons to do all sorts of stuff, yet still be somewhat intuitive. I have a lot of modules so try to set the configs up in a similar fashion

Not for everybody I guess but works well for me

The downside is it only works with TM products

I'm using TM's TARGET script editor, it's a real pity there is nothing like it available as a standalone product as I'd gladly pay for such a thing

[...]

All the functionnality you describe can be done within Joystick Gremlin. All within a UI, not even needed to script. (Although possible in Python).

PS : It's free.

Edited by Ant0ine

It can easily give you 3 modes, a shift for each mode and you can use long/short press (customizable to the delay of your choice).

Freeware JoyToKey do this (mode, shift, short/long press, button alias, send keypress in OFF state of toggle switches).

I use xpadder for this scenario. I have the paddle as a modifier but only when held for a long press. Short press it functions as the paddle switch, granted I lose the limiter override but I have yet to find my self in a situation where I needed it.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I will try Xpadder and especially Joystick Gremlin as that looks updated and really clean.

@Thick8

I checked and the hornet apparently doesn't have a g-limiter override in DCS so that point is moot indeed.

However, it can still help to conserve buttons without having to work with profiles, which isn't too intuitive for me.

I only got a warthog so I'm super limited on buttons and other stuff (way too many switches) - I don't even have a radar slew on it for example. So I tried to compress as many functions into the limited amount of inputs as much of the stuff is only in effect in certain situations.

Funniest thing I once had to happen was the starter on the Huey. It was bound to my throttle pinky button in the DCS default - ironically that was also a Push to Talk button for me. So whenever I was speaking the starter came up and spooled. It never broke though so I didn't even have to change it :)

Best regards