Which WW2 plane and campaign to start with?

Hello. I'm newish to DCS and would like to buy one WW2 bird and a campaign or two. What's the best campaign? I am afraid that they are bound by the realities of the map we are given and the actual nature of the fights that involve long flights back and forth across the Channel - I would really like to avoid having to do that for every mission as I don't often have 1.5 hours to sit and do an entire flight from England to France and back. At the moment I'm enjoying the Sabre and Museum Relic campaign, as the fun and variety of that campaign overrides the fictional aspect.

At the moment the P-51 is what I'm eyeing right now. Are the campaigns for that good, and updated for 2.5?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Do you have the Normandy Map? .. if yes, I would recommend the P-51 and the Bastards of Bodney Campaign, if not, then I’d suggest getting instead the MiG-15 and play your current Museum Relic Campaign a 2nd time, as it has 15 missions for the Mig :)

... then, on the next sale you can buy the Normandy Map, WW2 Assets and the P-51 plus the campaign.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I don't yet have the WW2 modules, so I'd have to buy them.

Unless you have money to spare, I’d suggest waiting at least until the end of October, when it is likely that Steam will have a Sale and if you are lucky the WW2 modules may be at a lower price .. unfortunately DCS is pretty expensive on what is needed for its ww2 paid campaigns, as they require:

Normandy map, us$ 45

Ww2 assets pack, us$ 30

P-51d, us$ 50

Campaign, us$ 10

Total: us$135 .. you may save us$15 by putchasing the normandy+assets bundle, but still it is 120 bucks .. I really would wait for a sale.

s there a reason that the P-51 is cheaper on Steam? I only have stand-alone DCS at the moment.

You can use steam modules on stand alone, just bind the steam account to your ed account .. sometimes Steam has better deals, for example on the last sale I purchased the I-16 at only us$ 16 :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

In either case I'd go with P-51, as it's the easiest warbird as far as takeoffs, landings and cruising are concerned (being the only one with steerable tailwheel and the only one with trimmable all three control channels). You can get a good feeling of it by flying the free TF-51 anyway.

Then I'd try two free sample missions from aforementioned Reflected's campaign and see if it's something for you or not:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240422

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I tortally agree with Dietrich figure out weather you can fly the the TF -51 start up take off landing. Be able to do basic naviagation with the Free part of the game first.. Before you buy a bunch of stuff that you may or may not use. Some people complain be cause the game does not work for them. Just determine if your computer and equipment can be used. Take your time learn things everything take awhile to semi master...

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

I would suggest to just buy any warbird(wait for sale) and jump on MP with it.

this way is much cheaper you just pay for plane and thats it :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I would avoid the Fw190's. Truth is against the present AI even with a massive altitude advantage over your opponent it is almost possible to escape from allied planes if you miss your first pass. Makes for a frustrating experience and I don't feel such modules should be supported until this problem is addressed. 109 is less bad AI wise, and the spitfire has no such problems.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I'm single-player only - so you are saying that flying the FW190 vs AI allied fighters is impossible?

Has anyone tried the High Stakes campaign?

I am SP only too (VR) and yes it is pretty much impossible to beat or escape the AI even using boom and Zoom as one should. Even I-16s catch me my having swooped down from a massive alt advantage at full throttle.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 2 weeks later...

P-51 is the easier WWII plane to fly. Blue Nose Bastards is a fun campaign but it does involve lots of time crossing the channel.

The Charnwood campaign has you stationed in France so there's less time in transit and more action. However, it's more of a ground pounding campaign.

The new 109 campaign is loads of fun. Not much travel time and lots of opportunity for dog fighting!

• 1 month later...

For singleplayer I guess with the current AI the spitfire would be the best. I would recommend multiplayer, sure you will get shot down a lot but everyone starts somewhere. Once you learn the ropes multiplayer is by far the most fun in my opinion. Especially if you can find people to fly with.