[MOD] DCS-to-GPS

Holton181

I am Foreflight Alpha/Beta team member. I'll be happy to test it out ;)
By all means, feel free to!

Thanks!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I updated the ip of my device and tested it with FFM. No lock. FFM is not seeing any device connecting.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I updated the ip of my device and tested it with FFM. No lock. FFM is not seeing any device connecting.

Bummer...

Even after you actually start flying? (the script doesn't run until entering cockpit)

Since you implies that FFM should see a connection, I guess that part is independent of how the information sent by the application is formated? So even if I formated the information in the wrong way and FFM would not be able to use it, it would still indicate a connection if that part worked?

Also I assume you have been able to connect other applications other than DCS to FFM using the same port? If so, have you been forced to enter your IP, or have those apps utilized "broadcast" as mentioned in the instructions I linked to above?

I'm not a programmer and really not proficient with networking protocols, so I'm a little bit stunned what to do next. I can't really understand what is the reason why people seem to have a difficult time getting this to work (only one have succeeded so far, except myself, what I know of). I will try to find out how (if possible) to implement UDP broadcasting in LUA, maybe that will help.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I realized I had forgotten to disable the ordinary UDP transfer part on lines 228 to 234. Don't think that has anything to do with not connecting to ForeFlight though.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Bummer...

Even after you actually start flying? (the script doesn't run until entering cockpit)

Since you implies that FFM should see a connection, I guess that part is independent of how the information sent by the application is formated? So even if I formated the information in the wrong way and FFM would not be able to use it, it would still indicate a connection if that part worked?

Also I assume you have been able to connect other applications other than DCS to FFM using the same port? If so, have you been forced to enter your IP, or have those apps utilized "broadcast" as mentioned in the instructions I linked to above?

I'm not a programmer and really not proficient with networking protocols, so I'm a little bit stunned what to do next. I can't really understand what is the reason why people seem to have a difficult time getting this to work (only one have succeeded so far, except myself, what I know of). I will try to find out how (if possible) to implement UDP broadcasting in LUA, maybe that will help.

I got two other sims which connect on this port to FFM. Let me ask in the FF forum if any update is needed for supportung DCS. I remember that when i switch to XP11, from XP10 it actually did not work from the start. FFM devs had to do some tuning :smilewink:

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I got two other sims which connect on this port to FFM. Let me ask in the FF forum if any update is needed for supportung DCS. I remember that when i switch to XP11, from XP10 it actually did not work from the start. FFM devs had to do some tuning :smilewink:

I highly appreciate that!

Thanks!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

2019-03-08 21:44:28.960 ERROR Lua::Config: Call error LuaExportActivityNextEvent:[string "C:/Users/MartinM_2/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Scripts/DCS_NMEA.lua"]:231: attempt to index global 'udp' (a nil value)

stack traceback:

[C]: ?

[C]: in function 'my_send_udp'

[string "C:/Users/MartinM_2/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Scripts/DCS_NMEA.lua"]:233: in function 'ActivityNextEvent'

[string "C:/Users/MartinM_2/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Scripts/DCS_NMEA.lua"]:348: in function <[string "C:/Users/MartinM_2/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Scripts/DCS_NMEA.lua"]:346>.

This is what I get. The question is, is this related to my path.

DCS OB is located here D:\Daten\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

OS environment variable does point here

C:\Users\MartinM_2\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\

This is what I get. The question is, is this related to my path.

DCS OB is located here D:\Daten\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

OS environment variable does point here

C:\Users\MartinM_2\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\

Thanks for this!

You getting the error at all is indicating that your Saved Games location and environment variable doesn't have anything to do with this problem, because the script is running, albeit erroneously.

See my post #29 above. I made a mistake, and "231: attempt to index global 'udp' (a nil value)" indicates it's causing trouble. Download it again, same link above, it should be updated.

Crossing my fingers...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I got a feedback from a dev

So I noticed that the udp variable is defined on line 56, which is commented out. Did you intend to comment out the my_init_udp method?

I got a feedback from a dev

There is three ways to connect to an external device:

* UDP (arbitrary port) and sending NMEA sentences

* Bluetooth and sending NMEA sentences

* UDP (fixed port 49002) and sending Foreflight sentences

The actual connection is the same for the two UDP methods.

You should have the my_init_FF active and not the my_init_udp. Remember all three methods have three sections each that needs to be activated (uncommented), so for you the my_send_FF and my_close_FF. As I stated above I accidentally left one of the UDP NMEA sections active in the version you downloaded, causing the error you posted above. I have corrected it, so download it again or simply comment out the my_send_udp starting at line 228.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

There is no attitude provided, but it works. :thumbup:

120934C3-73FB-43D2-9C49-BCFA16366740.thumb.png.abc6591b58e62f23fa2f556e4ce6c972.png

74546591-9BFC-4BEA-99F8-E2567ECAB537.thumb.png.87ff0e401686c675e49b8e7180e4c6ca.png

There is no attitude provided, but it works.

Wohoo!

The attitude is coming, now that I know it works.

A huge Thank You for trying it out!

May I ask for one more favour?

The instructions on the Foreflight page describing what to provide to it, states that the sentences (XGPS and XATT) are limited in length but not what that limit are exactly. Could you please ask on the Foreflight forum what these limits are, so I could provide as hig accuracy as possible?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Wilco

There is no attitude provided, but it works. :thumbup:

Try this, DCS_to_GPS 1.2 Beta 2.zip, added attitude. If you want to change update frequency of the attitude indicator, change the value ANEt on line 128. Default is 5Hz (1/5), but ForeFlight can handle up to 10Hz (1/10).

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

please allow me to give the feedback of the FF dev

Looking at the code it looks like there is a limit of 120 characters in some cases, so that’s probably what the documentation is referring to. I can’t promise that it won’t change in the future, so I’d still recommend keeping the sentence as short as possible. I doubt more than one decimal place is necessary for good attitude performance for example.

I’d also add, make sure that any sentences or group of sentences sent together fit in a single UDP packet. As discussed at foreflight.com/connect/spec

Wilco

muehlema, did you try this version?:

Try this, [ATTACH]206110[/ATTACH], added attitude. If you want to change update frequency of the attitude indicator, change the value ANEt on line 128. Default is 5Hz (1/5), but ForeFlight can handle up to 10Hz (1/10).

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yeah i got a attitude signal yesterday

6D6D907B-403D-4231-BBC9-307F8486760E.thumb.jpg.45d1f4e9363e0352d994d316ad60bb5e.jpg

Yeah i got a attitude signal yesterday
Perfekt! Thanks!

Then I will release it from beta.

Do I have your permission to use your pictures on the User Files page? To show that it works?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Perfekt! Thanks!

Then I will release it from beta.

Do I have your permission to use your pictures on the User Files page? To show that it works?

Sure. Fee free to use my pic

Is there a way to make this work with FltPlan Go (Ipad). I use it with Xplane and it is absolutely great (and free) but I can't make it work with this for some reason.
I wasn't aware of FltPlan Go, but have looked around a bit. It seems to be using the same protocol and port as Foreflight. So try use that option in DCS_to_GPS.

As it happens, I just started a trial period with SkyDemon that also seems to use the same. I'll try the Foreflight method myself and report back.

Edit:

Indeed! Foreflight method in DCS_to_GPS and X-Plane in SkyDemon, Success!

Thanks Jeepyb for making me investigate! I will update the OP and download page with a compatibility list as soon as I get an answer from you if it works with FltPlan Go too.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I wasn't aware of FltPlan Go, but have looked around a bit. It seems to be using the same protocol and port as Foreflight. So try use that option in DCS_to_GPS.

As it happens, I just started a trial period with SkyDemon that also seems to use the same. I'll try the Foreflight method myself and report back.

Edit:

Indeed! Foreflight method in DCS_to_GPS and X-Plane in SkyDemon, Success!

Thanks Jeepyb for making me investigate! I will update the OP and download page with a compatibility list as soon as I get an answer from you if it works with FltPlan Go too.

I tried to do just that but it didnt work. I am not too sure as to how to set things up in the app itself. The only way I got it to connect was setting up DCS_to_GPS for foreflight and selecting Xplane as an input device in Flt Plan Go. It connects and the app gets the initial spawn position of my aircraft in DCS put it doesnt seem to update afterwards. I tried creating a custom input device with foreflights port in Flt Plan Go but that didnt connect at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Callsign: BUNZ

https://www.5vwing.com/