What is this little canard on F-14?

Pandacat

Is this a canard wing that gets deployed when wings are at full sweep? Is this proposed modification on F-14D or all tomcat variants have that?

MATS Site really doesn't say much.

The glove vanes were designed to counteract a nose down pitching moment at high speeds caused by two phenomenon on the F14. The center of pressure moves aft on any aircraft as flow goes supersonic over the wing surface. This occurs at or above the transonic range (~.85-1.2 Mach), and swept wings can make it worse than straight wings, depending upon a host of other variables, like whether or not the outer wing is which the fuselage shock cone.

Also, peculiar to the F14, the wingsweep also increases to 68 degrees by ~.9 mach, this also causes the center of pressure to move aft as the lift producing area geometrically moves aft. Both reduced the supersonic maneuverability, so the gloves were used to put aerodynamic surfaces forward to increase the lift forces forward. It increased the G available at supersonic speeds and diminished the massive drag of a delta wing at increased alpha.

It wasn't a huge problem in the F14, and since that isn't a common flight regime in the first place, and doesn't present a huge tactical advantage all things considered, they were removed.

See "Mach Tuck" and "Swept Winged" aerodynamics for more information.

Viewpoints are my own.

The glove vanes were designed to counteract a nose down pitching moment at high speeds caused by two phenomenon on the F14. The center of pressure moves aft on any aircraft as flow goes supersonic over the wing surface. This occurs at or above the transonic range (~.85-1.2 Mach), and swept wings can make it worse than straight wings, depending upon a host of other variables, like whether or not the outer wing is which the fuselage shock cone.

Also, peculiar to the F14, the wingsweep also increases to 68 degrees by ~.9 mach, this also causes the center of pressure to move aft as the lift producing area geometrically moves aft. Both reduced the supersonic maneuverability, so the gloves were used to put aerodynamic surfaces forward to increase the lift forces forward. It increased the G available at supersonic speeds and diminished the massive drag of a delta wing at increased alpha.

It wasn't a huge problem in the F14, and since that isn't a common flight regime in the first place, and doesn't present a huge tactical advantage all things considered, they were removed.

I want your brain. Swap with me !

• 3 weeks later...
so why did they think it was necessary for the A, then said "wait a minute, why did we put this on here? take it off!" lol

odd

They likely felt that supersonic maneuvering would be important for the type during development. Once they started getting some real world operational data, it didn't turn out to be so important.

They likely felt that supersonic maneuvering would be important for the type during development. Once they started getting some real world operational data, it didn't turn out to be so important.

Yes and no, they were absolutely correct from a purely aerodynamic perspective - that didn't change. What did change was the perceived value of those effects.

In practice the extra weight of the slabs in addition to the actuators, let's remember it's a hydraulic system so we have pipes and ducts and values to make this little slab of wing actually move, coupled with the extra effort in maintaining that system outweighs the extra pitch available at high speeds.

In addition as I think you're alluding to - they discovered that in practice you don't spend a great deal of time maneuvering hard at those speeds, a true turning fight will get slower and the wings will come forward, and a quick correction at high speed without bleeding off the speed you're trying to maintain doesn't require that much of a pitching moment.

You are all wrong ...it is the coffee table, when doing top wing work :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Victory,

This rearward movement of the CoP should also mean that the F-14 needs much less trim in pitch as compared to other non FBW jets, yes? I recall reading a cat pilot like yourself mention this.

Skip to 18:07

OR watch the whole thing if you haven't seen it, pretty good!

I was going to post this if someone hadnt yet. I find the vanes pretty awesome and very useful and will be sad if not in the a. at least visually

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to post this if someone hadnt yet. I find the vanes pretty awesome and very useful and will be sad if not in the a. at least visually

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere a long while back that Heatblur was going to put them in, but not be operational on either model.

Similar as on the Tornado, the “Krueger” ( hope that is the right name for them) flaps are deactivated in the German version, as it has no big advantage ( for low speed) , and save maintenance, in the ECR version they are replaced by the ELS system.

• 2 years later...
35 minutes ago, JetCat said:

Are there any plans of further F-14 development with these awesome looking supersonic flight canards implemented into the A-version?

Last official position was ( I think, might be wrong though ) ,  they may ( perhaps) be added sometime in the future, but if that happens, they would only be cosmetically incorporated in the 3D model, no re-writing of the actual flight model for them.

Regards, Snappy

• Like 1

Excellent 🙂

These glove vane canards were active in the early years during the seventies and installed to generate some extra lift to prevent the nose-down pitching force at supersonic flights.

And it looks so awesome and iconic and ahead of it´s time with swept-back wings and extended vanes that because for design reasons alone it is a must to implement in the best virtual Tomcat ever programmed:

f14-detail-glovevane-01l.jpg