AWG-9 with AIM-7

Pandacat

It is well known that f-14's radar can track up to 24 targets and engage 6 simultaneously. Just wonder this capability is only restricted to AIM-54 missiles? Can you engage multiple targets for AIM-7 at the same time? My guess is no since AIM-7 needs the radar to focus its energy to paint the target for terminal guidance, correct?

A version with an active Thomson CSF-developed radar seeker and inertial mid-course update capability, Skyflash Mk 2 (called Active Skyflash), was proposed for both the RAF and Sweden. British interest ended with the 1981 Defence Review; British Aerospace (BAe) kept the proposal around until the early '90s but there were no buyers.

is this what you're talking about? because there's simply no way to guide two sarh missiles with a single antenna.

There is a "flood mode" in some radars.

It will CW a cone rather then a target, so multiple missiles can track multiple targets, however, usually in this mode, the missiles lock on to the strongest return, gain or dopler, I don't know, guess it's missle dependent, but then all the missiles will probably lock on to the same target.

Nope. I'm pretty sure the Viggen could do that though.

Skickat från min G8441 via Tapatalk

If I had to guess, the claims that the Viggen could guide two missiles in TWS mode refer to when they implemented AMRAAMs in the 90s.

Edited by TLTeo

Thanks for clarifying. Btw, what models of AIM-7 are -A and -B equipping respectively? I know AIM-7M, which was widely used in Gulf War, was definitely on -B. But -A probably was still using AIM-7F. Also, -A was only equipped with 15 chaff and 15 flares according to some source. That low number of counter measures really chills my heart.

At first we will have the AIM-7F and AIM-7M but we will likely add at least the AIM-7E2 or E4 eventually and then let the mission designers choose the era.

In regards to countermeasures both our -A and -B will have the AN/ALE-39 system that carries 60 cartridges in two 20 sections and two 10 sections. The LAU-138 and aventually the ECA will add to this number when carried.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure exactly as to what you're referring to but we are using the standard ED AIM-7s.

I was referring to ED's AIM-7MH in game. In real life it was a software upgrade, in game I think that translates to a more aggressive loft profile and better CM rejection.

That number of CMs is fine for the type of fighting it was expected to do. In-game people expect to fight off entire air forces.

Were there any AIM-7Fs even left in storage by that time?

Thanks for clarifying. Btw, what models of AIM-7 are -A and -B equipping respectively? I know AIM-7M, which was widely used in Gulf War, was definitely on -B. But -A probably was still using AIM-7F. Also, -A was only equipped with 15 chaff and 15 flares according to some source. That low number of counter measures really chills my heart.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda