Rudder trim too sensitive...

Inflight, even ay the highest speeds, adjusting rudder trim slightly has an abrupt impact in yaw.

I would guess in RL adjustmens wouldn't have that outcome. Although I think rudder force modeling is still WIP, could the rudder trim steps be made softer ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Yes, my bad - it's released indeed, and the clipped wings were the "release moment" :-)

Still, I find that the rudder trim could receive some fine tunning. If only I knew what to edit in order to make the adjustment steps finer ?

I use an exponential curve for the rudder axis, but it's not the correct approach / solution IMO.

Being able to fine tune the incremental step parameter for the rudder tab would be a better solution, I guess.

Edited by jcomm

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that I would like to see changed in all modules. Or at least the WW2 aircraft. The trim increments are too big per step, so it's a darn pain in the bottom to do fine trimming.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

This is something that I would like to see changed in all modules. Or at least the WW2 aircraft. The trim increments are too big per step, so it's a darn pain in the bottom to do fine trimming.

:thumbup:

If at least we could edit the increments, but I couldn't find anything in the "FMOptions.lua" that could look like it...

• 1 month later...
I'm using keys, though. The only available axis I have springs back to the centre.

I'm using keys, though. The only available axis I have springs back to the centre.

This is not the best solution as you have already suggested but one thing that can help depending on other factors.

Just a handy facility for adjusting keyboard and cursor rates and delay. They hid this version under bubble gum kiddie style useless crud but it is still there and can still be used for some.

All that the following does for me is slow down the repeat rate a bit and put a bit of delay from the first to second step to ensure I only get one press if I only want a bit.

I understand and agree, each step would be better if it was half the travel for sure.

I hope we find a way.

Doing this like this eased my mind regarding errant key presses. I was always wondering now I know.

Fire up notepad and decide if your repeat rate is right for you and if not proceed to change things only after reading the following multiple times.

I loaded up the older better way of adjusting keyboard profiles which is just an option to change or add the keyboard control profile to use the older way which I prefer. it may not work for you. Not tested with keyboard software running on my gaming keyboard. G901

This does not address the steps for each keypress and only the rate of repeating key presses and the delay from the first repeat to all the rest as well as the blink rate of the cursor.

Use at your own risk

Backup up your main.cpl from the Windows system 32 folder just cuz. I didn't and it's fine.

You will still be able to bring up the mouse settings by typing main.cpl into the search bar or the command prompt and other normal ways.

Make a copy of the main.cpl file that is found in your /windows/system32 folder and save it elsewhere so you could copy it back if you don't like the older better way. I can't guarantee it will save you. I don't think it changes to be honest but who knows.

Back up your whole windows machine. There, I am off the hook if you mess up.

Note that even after you change things, you can still get to the old way where main.cpl calls up the mouse settings by typing main.cpl in the search bar and pressing enter or of course typing cmd and manually typing it in there or right clicking the main.cpl file and picking open control panel and other ways so you've lost nothing.

I do not use any keyboard software at all such as the logitech gaming software.

Note this procedure allows your main.cpl (sortof) to use the older version of the keyboard utility which had more functionality than the one in Windows 10 now.

If you want to change the repeat rate which will slow it down for multiple presses which happens when you hold the key, you can use the Keyboard control panel.

This will not change the incremental actual step for a single keypress but only the rate the next step occurs if you hold it. It may help.

It has a window to test your results as you go.

One of the good things it does is adjust the delay from the first press to the next repeating bunch by adjusting the repeat delay. If you are constantly going too far beyond what one keypress gives it is useful.

I have my delay set to about 75% which gives about a half second delay before it starts repeating. I slowed down the repeat rate only slightly.

Remember it will affect any key held like the elevator trim which is based on the same repeat rates and delays. It will slow down even more if you slow the repeat rate.

I often wondered if I was getting more than one press. Now I know I am not getting more for about a half second. The remaining presses are as normal and defined by the two top slider settings.

A bit of delay ensures that the first press doesn't run into the second press so quickly. the rest of the presses are normal. Even the blink rate could be of interest.

Play with it.

This will change the main.cpl to always open the older better method.

If you type:

main.cpl @1

Into the search bar or from the cmd prompt, it brings up the keyboard control panel where you can adjust the repeat and cursor blink rates.

They hid it in Windows 10 but it is still there if you convert it to the old way.

Main.cpl is located in the system windows\32 folder.

BACK IT UP. Don't blame me if you don't like it. I am just the messenger.

My search brought me to this from here so blame him.:

https://www.digitalwelt.org/en/tips/software/keyboard-speed-windows

That one command changes the original main.cpl so again, back it up first in case you prefer the new style bubble gum kiddie type menus that MS THINKS we want..

It would be better if ED would cut each step in half for sure.

As torque changes of course rudder trim must change.

Torque is changing at most times as one picks up speed or changes one's AOA or any change in the demand for power and torque.

I will consider the Spitfire complete only when there is a key binding for gun safety to safe and gun safety to fire. Just because someone says it is complete does not make it so.

Yes I have a workaround for the gun safety which I have to re-apply every update (twice for each) and of course it doesn't pass the pure client test in some servers. I think. Unless they banned me for being too easy to kill. ;)

Again after all that just type:

main.cpl @1

In the cortana search bar or from the cmd prompt and press enter

I made a shortcut from the main.cpl to the desktop and then edited the properties to include the @1

I have no problems with it but your results could vary. It doesn't address the issue of big steps for the rudder trim directly.

I made shortcuts for joy.cpl, main.cpl and main.cpl @1 Joystick, mouse and keyboard for my desktop.

250084000_keyboardrepeatrate1.thumb.jpg.5c8f1a97a0b6338b70086c501b49546f.jpg

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

• 2 weeks later...

Spit Rudder Trim

Inflight, even ay the highest speeds, adjusting rudder trim slightly has an abrupt impact in yaw.

I would guess in RL adjustmens wouldn't have that outcome. Although I think rudder force modeling is still WIP, could the rudder trim steps be made softer ?

jcomm,

Been flying the Spitfire for a couple of years now and totally agree with you, the rudder is overly sensitive. The nose up/down trim is also sensitive but doesn't seem as much so as the rudder.

I have nose up/down and rudder left/right trim set up on my Warthog Joystick POV and there are no curves to adjust.. I find if I bump the trim button very quickly then it will be OK for a while.

Remember all WWII Spitfire pilots stated that any change in change in engine rpm, boost, speed etc will require re-trimming. it is just the nature of the Spitfire.

Considering the diameter of the rudder trim wheel, I think it is correct.

It would react more for each bit moved of your hand.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth