Caucasus Insurgency - Dynamic Persistent MP Campaign

Thanks to everyone for getting on and trying it out - I've collected a lot of valuable data and identified a lot of bugs that need to be looked at.

The server has been shut down while I address some of the critical bugs, I'm hoping by Tuesday to have it back up again with the critical bugs addressed.

Thanks again!

Developer of Kaukasus Insurgency - a customizable Dynamic PvE Campaign with cloud hosting and stats tracking. (Alpha)

http://kaukasusinsurgency.com/

Is it already working?? ANy instructions on how to make your own scenary?

An early alpha version is up; the distribution part is still work in progress, i think once i get closer to beta i'll release instructions and to make your own missions and connect to our services.

Developer of Kaukasus Insurgency - a customizable Dynamic PvE Campaign with cloud hosting and stats tracking. (Alpha)

Mission is live again - first post contains IP if you cannot see it in server list.

Some critical bugs were fixed.

- Server / Mission Restart was not being recognized, causing KI to never load up after mission reload.

- Reduced Image sizes for map so loading the live map should take considerably less time

- Capture Points were not showing correct blue/red unit counts

Edited by Igneous01

Okay, I did a quick sortie just now.

First in general, I'd suggest that you don't host the server on the machine you play on.

Why have you chose to have all the aircraft russian ?

I did a quick sortie and went to a contested point (Zamankul). There is no way to identify friend from foe unless you check with the F10 map. Maybe some sort of JTAC ? As real troops on the ground will contact you and guide you to your target .

I found the enemies which were just bunched up at the edge of the city all together as if there was a traffic accident just sitting there and waiting for the police :lol:

Took 4 vehicles with a single JDAM :music_whistling:

There were no other vehicles left, but according to the map there were still 2 units somewhere, I did couple of low passes hoping one of them will engage me, but no joy.

The previous camp had timed out and a new one was spotted, but the site was frozen, so I couldn't get a grid for it. The site seems to hung up a lot.

Keep improving, I believe your mission has a lot of potential if done correctly. :thumbup:

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Okay, I did a quick sortie just now.

First in general, I'd suggest that you don't host the server on the machine you play on.

Why have you chose to have all the aircraft russian ?

I did a quick sortie and went to a contested point (Zamankul). There is no way to identify friend from foe unless you check with the F10 map. Maybe some sort of JTAC ? As real troops on the ground will contact you and guide you to your target .

I found the enemies which were just bunched up at the edge of the city all together as if there was a traffic accident just sitting there and waiting for the police :lol:

Took 4 vehicles with a single JDAM :music_whistling:

There were no other vehicles left, but according to the map there were still 2 units somewhere, I did couple of low passes hoping one of them will engage me, but no joy.

The previous camp had timed out and a new one was spotted, but the site was frozen, so I couldn't get a grid for it. The site seems to hung up a lot.

Keep improving, I believe your mission has a lot of potential if done correctly. :thumbup:

Thanks Shadow for the feedback. This will be moving to a dedicated server at some point, I've just had issues with finding an affordable option (technically need 2 servers, one with no gpu, one with a gpu) to support the bandwidth and cpu power needed.

No particular reason for making the aircraft Russian, it just kind of started that way (it can be changed without any issues). JTAC support is planned to be added, via helicopter transport or slingload. The other thing that can be done is just change the group templates for Red team to use Abrams, Lav, US vehicles to make it easier for vehicle IFF.

I have bug reports filed for both the server performance and website performance, so those items are on my to do list.

Right now the side mission tasking is very basic with just the single type (destroy camp). This is going to be fleshed out more and include more types (I plan to add at least 6 or 7 more task types) - the next step is finding a place to put the task briefing in the live map.

Here's an idea I can pitch yourway....

There are two scenarios here.

The first variant is Georgia aided by the USA and NATO vs the Insurgents (I guess you already are using the "insurgent" nation) aided by Russia

The second variant is Georgia aided by the USA and NATO in a pact with Russia to neutralise the local militia uprising which is being developed.

Both scenarios are being developed in the mountains at the Russia/Georgia borders (as it is now) with the South Ossetia and Abkhazia region included.

Keep the aircraft platforms to their respective countries (if you need help with that I can provide a list)

Have the same insurgent camp mechanic as now and city capture mechanic.

I did not mean necessarily to have NATO units on the ground, but instead to have a distinguishable way of knowing who is who.

In a real situation if you think about it, if you are helping troops on the ground, you won't be bringing your own JTAC... the troops in contact will direct you with smokes and directions. Simulating real CAS engagements.

Your idea really has a lot of potential, but it will need a lot of works as well.

Happy to help, hope you like what I am describing here.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

LEt me ask you something.

Can we make our own squadron battlefield/mission? and put our server?? is that the idea, or i am wrong?

Yes that is the end goal. You create your mission on whatever map you want, whatever size (big or small) and whatever units / factions you want to use. You pick where you want your zones, where you want your depots, where you want supply convoys, where enemy and friendly ground units spawn, etc. Then using the scripts and server side mod, connect to the KI Data Center, and bam - your server is listed in the browser list (with status) and your live map.

So you as a mission/squadron/wing maker dont need to worry about how to store the data, or build your live map, or manage talking to services or anything like that. You just build your mission with the tools provided in various config files, and connect to the KI master server, and you're ready to go. All the player stats are saved to the master server so players see their progress from all KI servers. This is something that has never been done before, and I'm very excited to see where it goes. (Think of this like wordpress for DCS - we give you all the tools you need to make your mission live).

Here's an idea I can pitch yourway....

There are two scenarios here.

The first variant is Georgia aided by the USA and NATO vs the Insurgents (I guess you already are using the "insurgent" nation) aided by Russia

The second variant is Georgia aided by the USA and NATO in a pact with Russia to neutralise the local militia uprising which is being developed.

Both scenarios are being developed in the mountains at the Russia/Georgia borders (as it is now) with the South Ossetia and Abkhazia region included.

Keep the aircraft platforms to their respective countries (if you need help with that I can provide a list)

Have the same insurgent camp mechanic as now and city capture mechanic.

I did not mean necessarily to have NATO units on the ground, but instead to have a distinguishable way of knowing who is who.

In a real situation if you think about it, if you are helping troops on the ground, you won't be bringing your own JTAC... the troops in contact will direct you with smokes and directions. Simulating real CAS engagements.

Your idea really has a lot of potential, but it will need a lot of works as well.

Happy to help, hope you like what I am describing here.

Thanks for the feedback, yes there is a long roadmap of items and features that are going to be added in as this gets going, thankfully the code is not difficult to work with and relatively straightforward to add features. I will be setting up another proper mission with a larger play area and more realistic faction sides soon after I get the datacenter setup.

I've added your ideas for JTAC and Factions to some tickets on github so I dont lose track. Thanks again!

Good to hear that.

What about scripts?

We use a lot the CTLD (I guess it is included, but also this one

C4ISR

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176331

You can mark with smoke at will (if enemies are at mortar distance), you can illuminate, you can lase enemies (you choose which vehicle...

Also we use the suppressing fire, and few others. Any way to use them? They are IA behaviour enhancer.

If you need help with something feel free to send me a message

Sounds good, if you have any feedback in regards to gameplay mechanics and features I'm open to hearing them.

Good to hear that.

What about scripts?

We use a lot the CTLD (I guess it is included, but also this one

C4ISR

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176331

You can mark with smoke at will (if enemies are at mortar distance), you can illuminate, you can lase enemies (you choose which vehicle...

Also we use the suppressing fire, and few others. Any way to use them? They are IA behaviour enhancer.

You can use things like CTLD and C4ISR, it just depends on how they run and how they hook into groups on the map. You may need to delay the loading of these scripts until after the KI mission has reloaded all the units from the savefile, and then run them.

I wrote my own script that does similar to what CTLD does, but more specific to my needs. It does the same capability (picking up / dropping off troops) but also contains logic for spawning crates and assembling crates together. If you need to use CTLD i would recommend not using it in KI code, but keep it separate (like separate scripts) so there's no issues.

Perfect...

Once the time comes, we can talk to see how to make my scripts compatible. But let me tell you that I am anxious to help here, and use it. We are looking for something like this, for more casual flights, with no need of 6-10 aircrafts. I mean, suddenly one wants to fly a UH... He can go there and do some logistics... Or you want to do CAS in a Harrier, so be it.

Just keeping everyone updated - I am working with a virtual wing in testing and feedback on this early build of KI. So far some good ideas and gaps have been identified so I'll be spending some time addressing the immediate ones.

Initial live runs on the server showed a lot of promise - good fps, good latency, and some fun as well.

ESAc_matador - let me know when you would like to give it a go, we've got a working version on both my machine and the vwing i'm working with. It would be nice to get another server admin / vwing to try it out and provide feedback.

Tried it on 2.5, only one bug we could find so far with f10 map markers which I think changed I think read only was added by ED in 2.5 and probably takes another parameter. Not sure what you mean by needed mods? There's a lot to be done to get A) admins up to speed on running it and B) getting users to understand what they need to do.

However, having tested and changed from the default mission, all the principal features work, in that the positions are saved of the units, units attack constantly, you can design your own "mission" from just templates of units and zones in the ME, the messages come up, the connection to the database works, the web map is updated (you need to create this with Igneous). And there are MANY configurations.

To me, this was a great thing for an administrator, it looks like a framework written for administrators to easily supply something that is is on the par with the top hit servers.

Our next testing involves seeing what we can put "over the top" of the mission, in terms of scripting, like questions of....can you just put CSAR in, can you add your own spawns and triggers without affecting the framework. We did hit a bug with some aspects of this, and it will get resoved.

TLDR; this is great and is going to blow your socks off.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I entered in a server, but I could not because I did not have the British vehicle mod. May be we could have a link to that server with the mods needed to play this.

But the idea is fantastic, fantastic. I hope you can sort out the problems, and I would like to help by doing test or something!!

I entered in a server, but I could not because I did not have the British vehicle mod. May be we could have a link to that server with the mods needed to play this.

But the idea is fantastic, fantastic. I hope you can sort out the problems, and I would like to help by doing test or something!!

I think it's a good idea to add things like DCS Version, Map Name, and Mods as part of server description or something.

I will look into that, I think that would be useful for server owners.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on progress as I've been inactive on this thread - we have a 3 servers running this on 2.5 - there have been some stability issues with the latest mp crashes that have affected blue flag and dynamic caucasus, but it looks like the cause is known and I have implemented similar workarounds to avoid the crashing.

The development of this project is open source and I am adopting an agile like method for features and bugs. For those that are not aware, agile method of development breaks down work items into small tasks and chunks called 'sprints' - sprints typically have a duration of a few weeks to a month or 2, but in my case the sprints are kept to 2 weeks so that releases are packaged faster (and this is not some crazy enterprise software :P).

Usually sprints are planned by some governing body like a product owner or manager, but in this case I'm trying something unique in having the user base vote for the items they want to see added. That means your vote counts and the items with the most votes are put into the sprints to be worked on.

If you would like to participate please feel free to provide your thoughts and reactions in https://github.com/Igneous01/KI/issues

The latest sprint is 0.78, which will be closing soon (followed by a refactoring sprint).

https://github.com/Igneous01/KI/projects/9

I will be opening up a project for 0.80 sprint which will be open for users to vote on features and bugs they would like to see added / fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes - we are working on a new website and live map. The original site is going to be replaced with a newer and prettier version.

A sneak peak of the new website is here: http://beta.kaukasusinsurgency.com/

So for the time being the mission scripting side has been on hold while we work on getting the new website up. There's still a few bug fixes that are being done on the scripting side of things, but most of the focus is on the new website.

There is a group that is running a private version of this and so far things have been relatively stable.

We'll release more info when the site is closer to a v1 launch.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...